Butterfly Timo Boll ALC Blade Review | Featuring Timo Boll

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Regarding the ALC, what is the speed conpared to a Clipper for example? I tried one a long time ago but forgot how it played.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
He also said it's not about how much spin you produce on the ball but it's the placement and knowing the position of your opponent. He said for left handers playing right handers the short reverse serve works well wide to their forehand as they have to lean which can cause the error or a weak return.

Great tip. I look forward to that video and being left handed, I'll have to keep this in mind.

In the meantime, I guess I'll keep working with it. :) Cheers.

Reactions: Dan
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Nice job Dan, dream come true for you after all these years haha remember the interview showdown we had back in 2011? :p

Good work getting him a little out of breath too, he gets a ridiculous amount of spin on the ball in such a compact stroke. I actually blocked a little for him when we were in China together. He's such a humble athlete and I was fortunate to spend a week with him there when we played the China open.

I wasn't really a big fan of the ALC personally as it doesn't suit my touch but I had the opportunity to try his racket when I was in China and it felt pretty good! I was with him and Vladi after I got knocked out of the open and was getting some slow motion videos of them practicing together and Vladi went off for 10 mins to see how Dima's match was going. While he was gone Timo told me he'd always wanted to try Vladi's racket so asked me to block for him, I didn't have my stuff so he said I could use his racket. Tough to block for but a great experience!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Nice job Dan, dream come true for you after all these years haha remember the interview showdown we had back in 2011? :p

Good work getting him a little out of breath too, he gets a ridiculous amount of spin on the ball in such a compact stroke. I actually blocked a little for him when we were in China together. He's such a humble athlete and I was fortunate to spend a week with him there when we played the China open.

I wasn't really a big fan of the ALC personally as it doesn't suit my touch but I had the opportunity to try his racket when I was in China and it felt pretty good! I was with him and Vladi after I got knocked out of the open and was getting some slow motion videos of them practicing together and Vladi went off for 10 mins to see how Dima's match was going. While he was gone Timo told me he'd always wanted to try Vladi's racket so asked me to block for him, I didn't have my stuff so he said I could use his racket. Tough to block for but a great experience!
Awesome experience Matt! Glad you like spending time with some of the legends in TT. Awesome work you are doing in the US as well. Just a side Q. You said in the live interview with Dan last nite you were using a joola setup. Which one?

Reactions: Dan and thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...] While he was gone Timo told me he'd always wanted to try Vladi's racket so asked me to block for him [...]

Did Vladi know you were using his equipment ...? ; )
If I may - I wonder what was Timo's impression playing with Vladi's racket? Could not generate so much spin probably?

Reactions: thomas.pong
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Awesome experience Matt! Glad you like spending time with some of the legends in TT. Awesome work you are doing in the US as well. Just a side Q. You said in the live interview with Dan last nite you were using a joola setup. Which one?

Thanks appreciate it :D I'm using the Aruna OFF with Rhyzm-P forehand and Rhyzm425 backhand

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Did Vladi know you were using his equipment ...? ; )
If I may - I wonder what was Timo's impression playing with Vladi's racket? Could not generate so much spin probably?

He didn't really say too much, I think he found it reasonable, it was Tibhar MX-P at the time, unsure if he's changed or not since then. He could generate spin with a frying pan if he wanted haha

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
You have tried a lot of equipment Matt how are you playing with the Rhyzm rubbers?

It's a good combination for me at the moment, I decided to reduce the speed a touch and add more feeling and I think I have a setup which will work for me for a while :)

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
It's a good combination for me at the moment, I decided to reduce the speed a touch and add more feeling and I think I have a setup which will work for me for a while :)

Hi Matt, I know you were playing with the Butterfly Apolonia ZLC since it first came out 2 years ago and until you recently got your sponsorship with Joola (Congratulations!). How many Joola blades and rubbers did you try before settling for your new current setup? Also, have you tried the new Rhyzer 43 and 48 rubbers?

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi Matt, I know you were playing with the Butterfly Apolonia ZLC since it first came out 2 years ago and until you recently got your sponsorship with Joola (Congratulations!). How many Joola blades and rubbers did you try before settling for your new current setup? Also, have you tried the new Rhyzer 43 and 48 rubbers?

I actually didn't try that many, this was one of the first setups I tried out and I instantly found it to be better suited to what I was looking for, so I decided to start using it. I actually just got the Rhyzer 43 and 48 delivered this evening so I'll be reviewing both of them - as well as the Golden Tango and a couple of new blades

Reactions: Dan and thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I actually didn't try that many, this was one of the first setups I tried out and I instantly found it to be better suited to what I was looking for, so I decided to start using it. I actually just got the Rhyzer 43 and 48 delivered this evening so I'll be reviewing both of them - as well as the Golden Tango and a couple of new blades

Looking forward to your reviews! Will you be posting them here and/or on your site? Give us a heads up when they're out.

Did you also try the Aruna OFF +?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Regarding the ALC, what is the speed conpared to a Clipper for example? I tried one a long time ago but forgot how it played.

I would say the clipper has a bit more feeling as its a wood blade. You will have more feedback on shots that require more touch like a block or push touch shot. The ALC and Clipper are similar in terms of speed when you go for your shot but I think the ALC is a tad more faster and harder so will be more direct on attacking strokes. It comes down to whether you prefer a wood or carbon feeling. I haven't tried the clipper in a long time but it is very popular and I would like to try it again and compare directly.

Haha yes! That interview showdown was class! Good times! :)

Yeah, Timo said at the start that he needed to practice for his match the following day against Kenta so he didn't take it easy on me! :D I agree with you, his spin production is absolutely phenomenal!

That is so cool you got to spend the week in China with him!

Timo, "Hey Matt can you block me a few balls please"....

Matt, "Dam wheres my bat when i need it! No worries Timo ill use yours! :D"

Awesome review. And Timo as always is a very nice guy.

One small thing imho -those curtains and tablecloth from the beginning of the video look odd..

Thanks Simas, in terms of the cloth and curtains is it the colouring or?

Finally watched the video! Wow, crazy to see how difficult Timo's spin makes it to return the ball, nice to see him go so hard on you Dan! And with a "vicious" and humble smile! haha. Thank you both for this great review.

Haha Timo is great. It was really cool to see him go hard on each ball. Really impressive!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I would say the clipper has a bit more feeling as its a wood blade. You will have more feedback on shots that require more touch like a block or push touch shot. The ALC and Clipper are similar in terms of speed when you go for your shot but I think the ALC is a tad more faster and harder so will be more direct on attacking strokes. It comes down to whether you prefer a wood or carbon feeling. I haven't tried the clipper in a long time but it is very popular and I would like to try it again and compare directly.

I got an idea! :)
I send you my Clipper CR Master (no WRB!), 90 grams, except for changed colour due to sweat it's in perfect condition. You will send me a Viscaria and then we can both test the blades and you do a review! =)

Reactions: Dan
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Looking forward to your reviews! Will you be posting them here and/or on your site? Give us a heads up when they're out.

Did you also try the Aruna OFF +?

They will likely be on Joola USA or USATT youtube. I need to get it together with the USATT reviews this year, I have a ton of equipment mounting lol

No haven't tried the Aruna OFF+ yet

This user has no status.
To me, one of the best blade ever.
So good that I purchased another one:D
20180213_233335.jpg