problems with control

Hey all

I play table tennis for over 4 years now, I am an offensive player i think, I love the topspin game mid distance from table.
I love blocking, flicking, so i am not very off.

ATM, a play with Donic Persson Power Carbon Senso V1 as blade, Xiom vega europe on my backhand side, and stiga calibra LT.
I don't realy know if this is a nice setup for me.
My backhand is realy nice, good feeling, great spin, en amazing control.
But i struggle with my forehand.
I have a great loop technique, but when i try to do a slow and spinny loop, i have no control.
My spins are good, only if i hit the ball hard and low, but thats not how i want to play.
I have a realy bad control on my forehand.
Last year i played whit donic acuda P3 on my forehand, and it was just amazing, but i want more loop in my game, not just a smashing game if you know what i mean.

So my question is: do i have to change my blade to an ALL+ or do i have to change rubbers, and what equipent do you recommend?

thanks in advance
(sorry for bad English)

Reactions: Garrison
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
You could switch to the Calibra LT sound which is a bit softer with more control. Your blade is rated Off+, so a bit contra productive for the playstyle you describe. You don't have to go down to an ALL+ blade, Off or Off- would help. But as you said that you feel very good about your backhand, I would take a slower/softer forehand rubber before switching blades

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could jump off the Brooklyn Bridge out of joy, then after you towel off, you could meet UpsideDownCarl and check out some of his All round Offensive setups that have great control.

You could also follow Garrisons advice... regular LT on fh is tough to consistently control slow openers... I used to have that on FH and moved on to Aurus and other rubbers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
49cda9cba1696cfe712925e484bfd339.jpg

Last edited:
Hey

Thanks for your answers.
In the start of the season i tried to play with the xiom on my FH and for me it sucks more than the stiga calibra lt.
I also played with the sriver g3 fx on my forehand but it was the same result: it just sucks.
Are all of those rubbers just to fast?
Last year with donic acuda blue p3 the control was amazing, and had an amazing speed, and the spin was good.
And it was with the same blade as i use this year.
O, and i tried to play with a friends equipment with tenergy 05 fx and tenergy 64, and i liked it but it is just too fast for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hey

Thanks for your answers.
In the start of the season i tried to play with the xiom on my FH and for me it sucks more than the stiga calibra lt.
I also played with the sriver g3 fx on my forehand but it was the same result: it just sucks.
Are all of those rubbers just to fast?
Last year with donic acuda blue p3 the control was amazing, and had an amazing speed, and the spin was good.
And it was with the same blade as i use this year.
O, and i tried to play with a friends equipment with tenergy 05 fx and tenergy 64, and i liked it but it is just too fast for me.

But you said you don’t like P3 for looping, right?

Tbh going on a hunt for a rubber that might or might not fix an issue you have with your blade risks being way more expensive than just getting a new setup that does what you want. There are many looping blades that come highly recommended on here at under 40 euros...

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I've recently switched back to 5-ply all-wood OFF- in order to get more control and feel and it's the best decision I've made setup wise. Opening loops, loops, short game openings... are much easier to produce and spinier, and the feel is amazing. So I'd recommend you do the same, something like a Butterfly Korbel, Primorac or the likes. If you like Donic rubbers, I'd do Barracudas on both sides. If you use the correct strokes and put some legs and hips into it, you won't lose any speed but you'll produce a lot more spin and land your shots more consistently.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
You could jump off the Brooklyn Bridge out of joy, then after you towel off, you could meet UpsideDownCarl and check out some of his All round Offensive setups that have great control.

You could also follow Garrisons advice... regular LT on fh is tough to consistently control slow openers... I used to have that on FH and moved on to Aurus and other rubbers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
cache.php

For the record - I think that's not a picture of Brooklyn Bridge, so don't get any ideas... :)

As far as OP's question - let's face it, we have no idea what the problem even is. OP, what stops you from asking your club mates (you play in a club, right?) or a coach - anyone who's actually seen you play.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I'd suggest you (the OP) grab a slow racket from one of your training partners and try to do that slow and spinny fh loop. If you still can't do that it is more likely to be a technique problem than a matter of material. If you had some kind of super ZLC with super fast rubbers on it I'd understand the material problem but your setup, although it is not designed for slow and spinny loops in the first place, looks decent and it should not be a too big problem to perform that stroke with decent control with your setup (and with the right technique).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I'd suggest you (the OP) grab a slow racket from one of your training partners and try to do that slow and spinny fh loop. If you still can't do that it is more likely to be a technique problem than a matter of material. If you had some kind of super ZLC with super fast rubbers on it I'd understand the material problem but your setup, although it is not designed for slow and spinny loops in the first place, looks decent and it should not be a too big problem to perform that stroke with decent control with your setup (and with the right technique).

Afaik this blade is based on a clipper variant (person powerspeed), with 2 added carbon layers. Could you say more about why you think the blade is unlikely to be too fast for the op to loop well with it?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For the record - I think that's not a picture of Brooklyn Bridge, so don't get any ideas... :)

True... but there is graffiti on the bridge and don't they look like they are really enjoying themselves? The jump off Brooklyn Bridge is a metaphor anyway... to get rid of one attitude and replace it with another.

He could still go over there and meetup with Carl and try for himself several control oriented setups.

I am not so quick to dismiss a blade based on what its top end speed is. There are several Nexy blades I can use with a faster top end and still control very well my touch shots and openers to pretty much the same standard overall as my favored main setups of KJH and Lissom.

The factor I would use to dismiss a blade would be quickness of rebound. If it is too quick rebounding, then I do not use it. IMO, Nexy has exactly two of these, that is it. I cannot play my normal standard playing my normal style using these two, but the rest of them I have used no problem, and several are at least the degree of top end as the OP's blade.

Still, I have learned that it is effective to select equipment middle of the road of the play style and characteristics required. No ONE blade will be optimal for all shot situations, so middle territory of the objectives is about as good as one will get with a lot of wiggle room.

Every company makes several of each "zone" in their lineup, endless amount of possible combos... that is one difficult thing for newer and even experienced pongers.

As far as OP's question - let's face it, we have no idea what the problem even is. OP, what stops you from asking your club mates (you play in a club, right?) or a coach - anyone who's actually seen you play.

The problem is that i don't have confidence in my forehand topspins because my setup is to fast, and i don't have any control with it.
my coach told me to switch from blade, because i tried to switch rubbers, but it didn't help a lot.
He says that its not my technique that is bad, and my footwork is also good.
my club mates dont realy believe me when i say i cant play good forehands because of the rubber haha

Reactions: thomas.pong

well i tried a off+ blade with 05 fx on fh and 64 on bh and it was a lot better, but it is way to fast for me.
My backhand is amazing, control and spin and not so fast. my forehand is no spin, no control, lots of speed.
So i think i need another kind of blade or fh rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
well i tried a off+ blade with 05 fx on fh and 64 on bh and it was a lot better, but it is way to fast for me.
My backhand is amazing, control and spin and not so fast. my forehand is no spin, no control, lots of speed.
So i think i need another kind of blade or fh rubber?
I Think you should send a footage about your FH and BH stroke then will be easier give you a certain advice

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster