Are there any pro players that still use an all wood blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Also Gewo are going the all-wood route with the Robles and Majoros OFF (both 7-ply), based on the marketing it seems Robles is using his but I am not sure about Majoros?

If it´s a picture from last year, it might have been whatever GEWO blade. Now that the Majoros blade is out it is very much credible that Majoros uses it. It is a part of the GEWO philosophy to sign young, promising players who will then only play GEWO material. They even promise it, and up to now
I´ve personally had no reason to doubt it and the promise rang true on any occasion I checked ...

The Robles off is "inspired" by Stiga Clipper ;)
The off minus version might be identical but for the thickness, I am not entirely sure.
Don´t know much about the Majoros blade.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
If it´s a picture from last year, it might have been whatever GEWO blade. Now that the Majoros blade is out it is very much credible that Majoros uses it. It is a part of the GEWO philosophy to sign young, promising players who will then only play GEWO material. They even promise it, and up to now
I´ve personally had no reason to doubt it and the promise rang true on any occasion I checked ...

The Robles off is "inspired" by Stiga Clipper ;)
The off minus version might be identical but for the thickness, I am not entirely sure.
Don´t know much about the Majoros blade.
Sure I didn't mean to imply that they were giving false information (even less so intentionally), just giving what little information I had. Also, they always tend to get positive reviews for their blades. Or stuff in general. I have no doubt it'd be suitable for most pros.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
I thought that Fan Zhengdong was back to using the Stiga Infinity blade? (Which night have always been a Viscaria in disguise. LoL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Yes, his signature Tibhar blade is all-wood.

Yes I had seen that it's based on the Samsanov Alpha, just always a bit wary of basing all my affirmations on the brand's communication, and I hadn't double-checked. But there he is:
640_066_dppi_21115018_117.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The Gauzy Quest has definitely been on my radar (also considering a 7-ply like the Joola TPE Nature, I could get a good price for these). How would you compare it to the Korbel (yet another candidate)? Also nice if you remember the rubbers it had onto it. I like your approach of two identical, thin-sponged explosive rubbers and been looking into that as well. Maybe Gewo Hype KR or something (I like the reviews that talk about its predictability, the one major down-side with my slightly past it Maxxx 450), so wondering if the Quest you tried had any similar setup.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yes I had seen that it's based on the Samsanov Alpha, just always a bit wary of basing all my affirmations on the brand's communication, and I hadn't double-checked. But there he is:
View attachment 15386

I bought a couple of Tibhar Lebesson, one to get signed and one to try, but haven't glued it yet. I want to slap a pair of MX-P's 1.9mm on it soon.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Nice! I was asking about the Gauzy Quest though, sorry maybe I wasn't clear.

No, you were clear, I was going to answer earlier but had to step out!

The Gauzy Quest OFF is a very nice 5-ply with a harder outer ply (ovangkole) and feels very good control-wise and vibration-wise while still packing a punch (not much speed loss compared to ALC blades). It's faster but as a tad less control and quite a bit less dwell than the Korbel (limba outer) which I personally prefer at the time. I think the Gauzy Quest ALL+ is lot closer to the Korbel (composition and characteristics) but I've yet to try it. I have EL-S Max on both sides of the Gauzy Quest OFF, very good combo but I prefer MX-P in general (more gears), so I think I would like MX-P even more on it in 1.9mm or Max. I've read good and similar things on Gewo Hype KR so I think it'd work great on either Gauzy Quests. I do love thin-sponged explosive rubbers! Same on both sides, and especially now on softer wood blades!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ioiettino
Every pro defender except Chtchetinine.

Joo Se Hyuk
Yuto Muramatsu
Kang Dongsoo
Filus
Gionis
Wu Yang
pgpg
Li Jie
Polina Mikhailova
Victoria Pavlovich
Tetyana Bilenko
Li Qian
Ma Te
Wang Xi
Shiono (retired)
Liu Song
Hou Yingchao
Seo Hyo Won

Pro Level but not in the top 200:
Jian Li
Gustaf Ericson
Satoshi Aida
Kewei Li

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
No, you were clear, was going to answer but had to step out!

The Gauzy Quest OFF is a very nice 5-ply with a harder outer ply (ovangkole) and feels very good control-wise and vibration-wise while still packing a punch (not much speed loss compared to ALC blades). It's faster but as a tad less control and quite a bit less dwell than the Korbel (limba outer) which I personally prefer at the time. I think the Gauzy Quest ALL+ is lot closer to the Korbel (composition and characteristics) but I've yet to try it. I have EL-S Max on both sides of the Gauzy Quest OFF, very good combo but I prefer MX-P in general (more gears), so I think I would like MX-P even more on it in 1.9mm or Max. I've read good and similar things on Gewo Hype KR so I think it'd work great on either Gauzy Quests. I do love thin-sponged explosive rubbers! Same on both sides, and especially now on softer wood blades!

Ok, thanks a lot. Speaking of Cornilleau, the Gatien Crown is a great take if we're looking at lower speeds (and pros' blades!). Man, it never ends.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I don't see them on the tour very often, but last I looked several Korean players have used the regular Korbel: Kim Min Seok, Jeoung Sang Eun, and Jeoung Young Sik. Because they used it I got one for myself, with Tenergy 05 and Rozena. An excellent paddle, with amazing spin, but a little difficult to keep the ball on the table when looping. Mostly because of my average level, haha!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I don't see them on the tour very often, but last I looked several Korean players have used the regular Korbel: Kim Min Seok, Jeoung Sang Eun, and Jeoung Young Sik. Because they used it I got one for myself, with Tenergy 05 and Rozena. An excellent paddle, with amazing spin, but a little difficult to keep the ball on the table when looping. Mostly because of my average level, haha!

Good to know, thanks for sharing! When did you last see them play with the Korbel?

I've played with your exact setup before and it's excellent. Then I made the mistake of rushing to various carbon blades for a while when I should have stuck with all-wood. Now I've gone back to 5-ply all-wood with the Gauzy and Korbel and I couldn't be happier. In the meantime I've recommended the Sweden many times to beginners and keep on recommending it, same with the Rakza 7's on both sides, my favorite out of the Rakza line and middle-of-the-way rubbers. You might really enjoy your Korbel with Rakza 7 2.0 on both sides, and also try Tenergy or Rozena on your Sweden Extra at some point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I noticed first noticed Jeong Sangeun using Korbel during his remarkable performance in the 2017 Asian Championships. I believe Jeoung Youngsik used Korbel during the last World Championships, but I'm not totally sure. I'm so disappointed in Kim Minseok's falling star that I don't even want to talk about him, haha!

And thanks for the tips! I have a feeling they'll work out better than I expected for those two, excellent blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Enzo Angles is playing ZlF Innerforce so not every Gewo Players are all gewo branded.
Samuel Kulczycki also Gewo Young star is playing super mizutani.
I saw Shibaev used Korbel blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Everytime I point out (based on the Euro Champs equipment list from 2016) that Shibaev and Liventsov and many Russians use Korbel still, I get someone who corrects me that Shibaev uses a Viscaria. Maybe it is a Viscaria with a Korbel handle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIdFSiq8vE

Look at 2:07.

Last edited: