Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 1
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

Butterfly A40+ vs G40+

Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried out the new butterfly A40+? How do they compare to the G40+ ? I know the A40+ are manufactured in China from the butterfly website and will be used in the 2018 World Table Tennis Championships in Halmstad, Sweden.

Thanks!!

says i need some popeyes chicken

Advanced TTD Member 441 261

Advanced TTD Member 261 441
    We use the G40 in our club tournaments and i know this ball pretty well. Not all the balls are round brand new out of the box, you will get 2 to 3 eggs out of every 10 balls. G40+ plays good out of the box for the first couple of hours, but after a couple of hours the ball becomes slick and starts to be unplayable. I bought the A40+ and have played a couple of hours with it. This ball should be manufactured for Butterfly by DHS, its plays almost exactly the same as the DHS D40+. On a drop test from the same height when comparing the A40+ to the D40+, the first couple of bounces are almost indentical. But the Dhs stops bouncing earlier while you may get 1 or 2 more bounces from the A40+. While in play the A40+ feels a tad lighter in but if you mixed up the balls, you may not even know the difference. I suspect the Dhs adjusted the specifications for Butterfly to make the ball feel a tad lighter and have a bit more spin. Overall the A40+ is a very good ball, its pretty much a rebranded Dhs D40+.

The Following 6 Users Like 42andbackpains's Post:

anchorschmidt, Suga D and 4 others

Last edited by 42andbackpains; 02-06-2018 at 02:11 AM.
    One day at a time.
    Gambler Fire Dragon Touch 88.5
    T05 Hard & Dignics 05

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,429 3,683
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,683 4,429
    .. how does A40+ compare with the nittaku ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 42andbackpains
    We use the G40 in our club tournaments and i know this ball pretty well. Not all the balls are round brand new out of the box, you will get 2 to 3 eggs out of every 10 balls. G40+ plays good out of the box for the first couple of hours, but after a couple of hours the ball becomes slick and starts to be unplayable. I bought the A40+ and have played a couple of hours with it. This ball should be manufactured for Butterfly by DHS, its plays almost exactly the same as the DHS D40+. On a drop test from the same height when comparing the A40+ to the D40+, the first couple of bounces are almost indentical. But the Dhs stops bouncing earlier while you may get 1 or 2 more bounces from the A40+. While in play the A40+ feels a tad lighter in but if you mixed up the balls, you may not even know the difference. I suspect the Dhs adjusted the specifications for Butterfly to make the ball feel a tad lighter and have a bit more spin. Overall the A40+ is a very good ball, its pretty much a rebranded Dhs D40+.

The Following 2 Users Like ttmonster's Post:

42andbackpains and UpSideDownCarl

Lets go Spinny Looping !

says Dima... Amazing...

Master TTD Member 863 2,226
    says Dima... Amazing...

Master TTD Member 2,226 863

User Info Menu

Great review if its lighter than D40 it sounds even better!

The Following User Likes TTHopeful's Post:

42andbackpains

Quote Originally Posted by ttmonster
    .. how does A40+ compare with the nittaku ?
    I have a box of multi balls with Dhs D40+ and some Nittaku Premium 40+ and i dont notice much of a difference between them. I will try playing with the Nittaku and a40+ this weekend by alternating every couple of minutes. I suspect it wont be too much of a difference.

The Following User Likes 42andbackpains's Post:

ttmonster

One day at a time.
    T05 Hard & Dignics 05

Quote Originally Posted by TTHopeful
    Great review if its lighter than D40 it sounds even better!
    Its just feels a little bit lighter in play, but in reality they actually weigh the same.

thomas.pong

One day at a time.
    T05 Hard & Dignics 05

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 797 1,676
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,676 797
    I've had the same experience with the 3 balls you mention (G40+, A40+ and D40+). I'll add that the A40+ are not as strong and durable as the D40+ or NSD, otherwise these 3 play very similarly. These 3 balls are all heavier and less spiny than the Nittaku Premium. While all 4 of these balls are quite good (unlike the G40+), the Nittaku Premium remains the best in my mind but I mostly play with the D40+, which is the best bang for your buck at 50 cents a piece.

The Following 3 Users Like thomas.pong's Post:

42andbackpains, Suga D and 1 other

Last edited by thomas.pong; 02-06-2018 at 10:54 PM.

I would have to add the Nittaku premium does get slicker after some hours of use but not as slick as the G40+. I agree with thomas.pong Dhs D40+ is the best value at this time. If people want to try some other alternatives, the Sanwei ABS 40+ is pretty good too. My club received some 1 star for mutiball use and they are pretty round and reliable. They are priced around 20 cents USD in China and our club had a friend bring them over since he was traveling to visit our area. The Sanwei Abs 40+ 3 star plays well too according to my coach. Cant review much about the Sanwei 3 star since i haven't logged any hours on it.

thomas.pong

One day at a time.
    T05 Hard & Dignics 05

says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 5,956 3,561
    B
    says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 3,561 5,956

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas.pong
    I've had the same experience with the 3 balls you mention (G40+, A40+ and D40+). I'll add that the A40+ are not as strong and durable as the D40+ or NSD, otherwise these 3 play very similarly. These 3 balls are all heavier and less spiny than the Nittaku Premium. While all 4 of these balls are quite good (unlike the G40+), the Nittaku Premium remains the best in my mind but I mostly play with the D40+, which is the best bang for your buck at 50 cents a piece.
    I completely agree with all of this.

The Following 2 Users Like Baal's Post:

42andbackpains and thomas.pong