Trial C-pen?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
@noisyboy101 I will certainly sand. The new N11 blades ('N11S'?, it seems they stopped selling the plain N11) seem to already have some sanding done on the wings of the penhold version but I'll see if that's enough.

@songdavid98 'It was mainly because swinging hard with shakehand hurt my wrist for some reason.When you do the shakehand backhand, right? I get the same thing.
Thanks for the video. I experimented with a grip that looks like yours or with the three fingers almost completely in a fist on the BH side (that one sucked for BH but seemed to give more strength to FH loop drive).

@noisyboy101 Yes, and it seems songdavid98 looking at his video also has a gap on the BH side, although a very small one (like 7mm?).

@suds79 I feel the extended fingers actually do the opposite: more control but less power. My technique is still terrible though.

This user has no status.
@noisyboy101 I will certainly sand. The new N11 blades ('N11S'?, it seems they stopped selling the plain N11) seem to already have some sanding done on the wings of the penhold version but I'll see if that's enough.

@songdavid98 'It was mainly because swinging hard with shakehand hurt my wrist for some reason.When you do the shakehand backhand, right? I get the same thing.
Thanks for the video. I experimented with a grip that looks like yours or with the three fingers almost completely in a fist on the BH side (that one sucked for BH but seemed to give more strength to FH loop drive).

@noisyboy101 Yes, and it seems songdavid98 looking at his video also has a gap on the BH side, although a very small one (like 7mm?).

@suds79 I feel the extended fingers actually do the opposite: more control but less power. My technique is still terrible though.

My blade is sanded down drastically. Doesn't look normal anymore! The gap is only to shed weight. Not like that part of the blade is used anyway. The fingers on the back give you more stability to produce power. Without that you cannot punch forward easily. Your stance will also have to be lower. I found that that really helped my game. I am a BH dominated penholder, ironically...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
@noisyboy101 Interesting.

What would you all recommend for sanding? I guess fine sandpaper and just use the hand to sand down the wing edges on FH side?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
anyone know any good guides or threads to sanding penhold blades?

Nah it's just sanding. Nothing complicated.

I like beveled edges around all sides of my blade but some people just primarily do the side that the pointer finger rests on. Just sand some. Check it out. If it's still not all that comfortable, sand some more.

I've used a small drimmel to speed up the process for me but be careful because that can take off a lot of wood fast. But yeah when I've rounded them pretty good, I then go over them with a fine piece of sandpaper to smooth it out some.

Just do it. You'll be fine. You don't even need a drimmel. Just get some varied pieces of sand paper.

Reactions: steventt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Thanks. Do you think I can do this still once rubbers are on, and should I cover them with something to protect from saw dust?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Alright, awaiting my C-pen blade, I have been playing with an old racket a club member gave to me (Donic Allplay blade, Donic Vario + Joola 4 All rubbers). He helped me make it a makeshift C-pen (he is a woodworker for musical instruments): we removed the coloured parts of the handle that go over the main blade plies (with the lens/logo thing), shortened the ply part of the handle, then shortened the coloured parts and added them on. It's been shortened quite a bit and we sanded it a bit more 'V' shape than straight. Reglued and then recut the Vario FH rubber with a small gap of about 15mm, then did some sanding on the wings. It's quite a successful mod I think.

I've played with this about 10 hours total now, it's quite good. I first had trouble with the grip: forehand felt good if I 'wrapped' the index around the handle and put thumb just on the blade surface facing up almost vertically (as if it's the J-pen cork handle type thing, I guess), but then the backhand with any type of finger curling felt weird. Then I tried one where both index and the thumb face more or less vertically down the blade, with the index a bit more, and on the backhand I curl slightly. This makes the RPB motion smooth and comfortable (even if I don't have much speed with it yet, because little strength and technique) and still lets me do a quick TPB block/punch if I relax the index a bit coming forward.

Last edited:
says Footwork footwork footwork
Maybe you can try my RPB grip. It's unorthodox but it is paying off for me. I also hold the blade quite high up. My thumb and index finger are actually on the edge of the handle instead of on the blade face. I have small hands so it worked quite well for me.

Can you snap a couple of pics? I’m also currently experimenting with my RPB grip.

At the moment I choke up and lock in with my curled index finger and use thumb to open up the bat angle. On the reverse side, my middle and ring finger are pretty heavily pressed during my stroke. It seems quite fatiguing on repeated backhand rally.

75815efa28ed1ddd3836f09232347123.jpg

a905db2395dcc4824f77d2f2f9e27325.jpg

What is everyone else doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: