Choosing new blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi All,

I am choosing a new blade that I want to stick with for a long time.
Narrowed it down to DHS Hurricane Long 3, Carbonado 245, Viscaria and Timo Boll ALC. I am leaning towards Long 3 or Carbonado 245.

Thoughts?

Carbonado 245 will be fast. My personal choice is: viscaria then tb alc (not much different). Hl3. All are amazing choices depending on what are you looking for. Hl3 will have a lot of feel and I fast wood blade with practically no vibration. Can’t go wrong with either of that but a matter of personal preference. I have used all of these and have carbonado 190 which is my goto for tournaments. 290 has double the carbon from 190. Will be very stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
If you are really looking for all wood blade - go with the Long 3
however, for composite ones, I suggest to go with Freitas ALC or Timo Boll ALC or Carbonado 145 depending on your game

1 - If you are a spinner/looper - go with Freitas (has tons of feel)
2 - If you are a hard hitter and need control go with Boll ALC
3 - If you are in midst of the 2 and are a power smash/loop like Drinkhall, go with Carbonado

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi All,

I am choosing a new blade that I want to stick with for a long time.
Narrowed it down to DHS Hurricane Long 3, Carbonado 245, Viscaria and Timo Boll ALC. I am leaning towards Long 3 or Carbonado 245.

Thoughts?

Welcome Basten4,

What's your current setup? How long have you been playing? What's your USATT rating?

We'll be able to give you better advise the more background info you give us.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What was your previous setup? What do you want that is different from your next setup? How would you describe your play style and level? How long have you been playing? Trying to answer what would be best for you without knowing anything about how you play or what you have been using would be a bit of a mistake.

Thoughts on Carbonado 145 with Tibhar Evolution MX-S 2.1 on both sides?

I haven't try 145, but I use 190 with MX-S 2.1 on both sides. I have no problem with the weight and I favor the medium-low throw arc of MX-S and 190, a more spinner than faster ball may cause the opponent to miss-contact the ball because they believe the bounce will be higher however the ball may go underneath their racket position. A faster and spinner ball is deadly, the fast, low blocks and ball positioning will puzzle your opponent. Hitting the ball off the bounce is also favored by this set up. If you go mid-distance make sure to use your legs, loops and side spins make look linear but once they hit the other side of the table is another story.

I'm sure 145 is awesome, before buying the 190 most of the reviews favored 145, however is a matter of styles. My thoughts were that 145 would have higher throw angle that would make not so difficult to predict the ball trajectory, it would be safer than 190 at mid-distance but no close to the table.

You can't go wrong with Carbonado 145 and MX-S.

I haven't try 145, but I use 190 with MX-S 2.1 on both sides. I have no problem with the weight and I favor the medium-low throw arc of MX-S and 190, a more spinner than faster ball may cause the opponent to miss-contact the ball because they believe the bounce will be higher however the ball may go underneath their racket position. A faster and spinner ball is deadly, the fast, low blocks and ball positioning will puzzle your opponent. Hitting the ball off the bounce is also favored by this set up. If you go mid-distance make sure to use your legs, loops and side spins make look linear but once they hit the other side of the table is another story.

I'm sure 145 is awesome, before buying the 190 most of the reviews favored 145, however is a matter of styles. My thoughts were that 145 would have higher throw angle that would make not so difficult to predict the ball trajectory, it would be safer than 190 at mid-distance but no close to the table.

You can't go wrong with Carbonado 145 and MX-S.

What is the weight of your paddle?

Here is some background on me. I am 1600, improving fast. Have not played in a long long time. My previous set up many years ago was some Stiga allaround blade with Stiga rubber on one side and Donic on the other. That was MANY years ago. Don’t remember the specs and don’t have the paddle, its long gone.
I started playing again 3 months ago and play 6-8 hrs a week. My brother gave me Stiga Evolution as a gift, which is what I am playing with now. It is way too slow for me.
My style is an attacking style, probably a combination of looper/smasher, however, I block aggressively as well. I hate long pushing and backspin points, and I am working on not getting in trouble trying to reverse them too soon because of the aggressive nature of my playing style.
I am not big and not physically very strong. I am a former pro athlete, so I have decent footwork, but I am not the youngest, so don’t know how long its going to last, but I am expecting to be ok for the next 6-8 years in footwork department :)
I am looking to get a good blade that I will use for a while and can really get used to as I go up to 2000, and play around with different rubbers setup to give me control and speed.
Last week I played with Carbonado 45 with Tenergy 80 on FH and Yasaka something on the BH. I had absolutely no problems handling it since min 1, but I wish T80 was a bit loopier.
At the same time I don’t want to spend way too much money on the paddle, and not sure I want to start with Tenergy series.
My idea was to get a faster blade with good control that can give me good speed, and play with rubbers when it comes to speed and spin.

Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
My idea was to get a faster blade with good control that can give me good speed, and play with rubbers when it comes to speed and spin.
Viscaria or TB ALC. You will love them.
There must be a reason why they are among the most used blade in the world.

The more your technique will improve, the more you will appreciate it.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Here is some background on me. I am 1600, improving fast. Have not played in a long long time. My previous set up many years ago was some Stiga allaround blade with Stiga rubber on one side and Donic on the other. That was MANY years ago. Don’t remember the specs and don’t have the paddle, its long gone.
I started playing again 3 months ago and play 6-8 hrs a week. My brother gave me Stiga Evolution as a gift, which is what I am playing with now. It is way too slow for me.
My style is an attacking style, probably a combination of looper/smasher, however, I block aggressively as well. I hate long pushing and backspin points, and I am working on not getting in trouble trying to reverse them too soon because of the aggressive nature of my playing style.
I am not big and not physically very strong. I am a former pro athlete, so I have decent footwork, but I am not the youngest, so don’t know how long its going to last, but I am expecting to be ok for the next 6-8 years in footwork department :)
I am looking to get a good blade that I will use for a while and can really get used to as I go up to 2000, and play around with different rubbers setup to give me control and speed.
Last week I played with Carbonado 45 with Tenergy 80 on FH and Yasaka something on the BH. I had absolutely no problems handling it since min 1, but I wish T80 was a bit loopier.
At the same time I don’t want to spend way too much money on the paddle, and not sure I want to start with Tenergy series.

Thanks for sharing some background info. A little more info would help us help you even more:

Are you playing at a serious club now or just at home? Are you taking lessons? What does your practice consist of? Were you 1600 in the past or are you currently 1600? Are you currently playing USATT sanctioned tournaments?

Based on the info you gave us so far, I would recommend an OFF- to OFF 5-ply flexible all-wood blade à la Butterfly Korbel or Primorac with medium-hard rubbers (Tenergy 05 or 64 are amongst the best rubbers in the game, Tibhar Evolution MX-P are fairly similar and popular but cheaper, but there are many others you could try). I'm currently using this kind of setup, many will tell you it's the best for developing players anywhere from intermediate to high levels 2300-2800 (many pros use similar setups). If you give us more info, we'll be able to give you more tailored advice. Cheers!

Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Is that Allround evolution? Or is that the premade? What rubbers have you tried on it?

If it’s the premade with the stock rubber, you might not need something as fast as you think..

Another thought: there are enough excellent affordable blades that you might want to consider sticking to less expensive blades but planing to change them a little more often, but with smaller increases in blade speed each time, than moving to something in the Viscaria speed range straight away. (You could get 2-4 excellent blades for blades for the price of a Viscaria. Eg a 5 ply wood all+/off- first. (With faster rubbers you should get plenty of pace.) A faster 5-7 ply wood next. Etc.)

Last edited: