Differences between Butterfly ALC blades?

This user has no status.
I can speak for Freitas and Boll versions. The outer ply. Freitas limbs outer feels woodier on contact and the blade has some flex. Boll ALC koto feels soft, but doesn't flex much.

For me, Boll was easier to control in a loop to loop rally. Boll also was better to block with.

Freitas seemed to spin and push a little better.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I can speak for Freitas and Boll versions. The outer ply. Freitas limbs outer feels woodier on contact and the blade has some flex. Boll ALC koto feels soft, but doesn't flex much.

For me, Boll was easier to control in a loop to loop rally. Boll also was better to block with.

Freitas seemed to spin and push a little better.

I agree with you on Freitas vs. Boll.

Also, Innerforce means the ALC layers are closer to the core rather than the outer ply, giving more feel and control but less speed.

This user has no status.
As of composition: Freitas and Boll are the same except the outer layer. Boll is harder Koto and Freitas softer Limba. Innerforce (Layer ALC) is as Freitas, but ALC is moved closer to the core. Garaydia is totally different beast. Its 5ply and outer is Hinoki.

For hardness: Boll > Freitas > Innerforce (Layer ALC). (speed the same). Not sure with Garaydia, but I would say its the softest as I had a chance to try it for a few minutes and also a VERY spinny, however I dont like it overall because of the softness and with that it was difficult for me to block efficiently.

Boll is very good for blocking, but because of hard Koto I wasnt really able to get some spin from it. Now I use Innerforce Layer ALC and for me its overall very good blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
As of composition: Freitas and Boll are the same except the outer layer. Boll is harder Koto and Freitas softer Limba...

For hardness: Boll > Freitas > Innerforce (Layer ALC). (speed in other direction).

I'm pretty sure the Freitas and the Boll ALC have different core plies as well (Freitas = Ayous, Boll ALC = Kiri).
Speedwise I'm also not sure if an Innerforce ALC is faster than a Freitas or a Boll; a HL5/W968 maybe, but a Butterfly Innerforce ALC?

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I'm pretty sure the Freitas and the Boll ALC have different core plies as well (Freitas = Ayous, Boll ALC = Kiri).
Speedwise I'm also not sure if an Innerforce ALC is faster than a Freitas or a Boll; a HL5/W968 maybe, but a Butterfly Innerforce ALC?

You're right, different core and don't forget different thickness, which also plays a part.