Training with music

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hello ttd members.
Have anyone here ever tried training in the hall with some background music? Kind of what is done in the gym for some increased motivation.

Just wondering what is your perspective on this topic as I know some people do not recommend it. Something about having no music in a match makes it useless to get use to music while performing your shots.

Thnks for the comments!
May it be a great discussion [emoji6]
ba41607b03634d3e385a3bf22591299f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hello ttd members.
Have anyone here ever tried training in the hall with some background music? Kind of what is done in the gym for some increased motivation.

Just wondering what is your perspective on this topic as I know some people do not recommend it. Something about having no music in a match makes it useless to get use to music while performing your shots.

Thnks for the comments!
May it be a great discussion [emoji6]
ba41607b03634d3e385a3bf22591299f.jpg

I don't recommend you listen reggaeton, may be some repetitive tempo, like the Mortal Kombat theme

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
We often do that and a lot of other teams also do that during the warmup hour before a match. Not because of any kind of a training effect. But because it is fun and nice, creates a good atmosphere.

Btw what is with that g4a advertisment?
Just looked up for some instrumental pic for the discussion. Didn't even see the fading Adress til you directed my attention haha.. Should I remove it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Very interesting question!

One concern I see is that audio cues are very important for many aspects of the game: from reading the opponent's shots and to evaluating your own shots, to monitoring different features of rallies.

That said, hearing other people playing may also be detrimental to the quality of the audio cues we get about our own play. Not to mention, a fun atmosphere can also help getting our minds off non-TT stress - which can probably be a lot worse for our game than a little music.. ;)

Looking forwards to reading other people's thoughts. Thanks for this thread!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Legend has it that Dick Miles and Marty Reisman used to practice thusly, with Miles listening to the Juilliard String Quartet playing Beethoven's String Quartet No. 8 in C major while savagely chopping and Reisman belting out Old Man River in his distinctive Manhattan bass while blasting forehands at Miles.

Today there are a number of different musical options you can choose, depending on which style you choose among a galaxy of options available to today's ponger thanks to the availability of a universe of pong equipment.

If you're an all-out ren hai jan shi (human wave attack) take no prisoners get it over with type, I'd recommend Stravinsky's Rite of Spring as your musical background as you train.

If you prefer elegance, style, wit, panache, sophistication, and aesthetitude as a signature of your game, you can't go wrong training to Handel's Water Music.

If you are a thoughtful player who has read Sartre, Camus, Donn Olsen, Matthew Syed's Bounce, and the collected works of Larry Hodges, why then Bach's Art of the Fugue should be just right for you.

If you're heavily into Zen, intimate with Lao Zi's Dao De Jing and can sorta understand what its first five words mean, book yourself a plane trip to Tibet and record Tibetan monks. The music is quite striking, unlike anything you've probably ever heard. Deep basses, and a whistling sound above their sonorous drone.

For practicing counterdriving, The Ping Pong Song'll work. Catchy bass line.

For defense, the score from the movie The Great Escape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatstyk
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Bad for TT training and bad for music appreciation. For me anyway. All in all I find tbe idea horrible. But safer than idipts who do it on bikes in traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
(Baal) Bad for TT training and bad for music appreciation. For me anyway. All in all I find tbe idea horrible. But safer than idipts who do it on bikes in traffic.

I would not recommend playing table tennis on bicycles in traffic to any of the compositions I mentioned in a previous post. You'd have to have a good sense of tempo, phrasing, rhythm, athleticism, and excellent peripheral vision.

But if you wish to learn how to play table tennis musically, which I as a musician consider to be an excellent idea considering that today's pro table tennis is almost exclusively prestissimo con molto pesante (heavy-handed), training while listening to aesthetically pleasing music is a must if you want to acquire some mastery of all the subtle nuances inherent in the sport in order to make a point blossom.

P.S.: Baal may have spoken, but Baal has yet to reply to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: guybr50
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't think this is a yes or no question.
I think it really depends what one is working on.

For warming up like sidesteps, running and such but also for repetitive footwork drills music can be quite helpful.
It can help to learn 'how to dance towards the ball'.

Then there are drills like serve and receive drills where music is rather distracting and hindering.

Reactions: guybr50
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I often have trainings with music, thats mostly something like soundtracks fro the last movie. Ieven tried the classic, but it is too relaxing and fits for study when you have to focus on something like wriitng or calculations.