Gewo Nanoflex FT40

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Bought a pair of 2.1mm Gewo Nanoflex FT40 from contra.de, they have been on sale for some time. I must say that I am very positively surprised by this rubber. Just tried it on today on a Viscaria blade and it felt really good. Actually so good that I think it might be difficult to pinpoint any big differences from T05 on my other Viscaria blade. It was easy for opening loops, nice to serve with and with a good high throw. And the sound, that crisp clicking sound. Oh man... really easy to know when a shot was right.

I am just barely an intermediate player, so maybe not that easy to spot the big differences. I have to add that the properties might change after some days too and I played mostly with FT40 today. One would think that FT40 is softer than T05, but it certainly did not feel that way. Anyway, this might change over time. Maybe FT40 only felt better just today.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I have to sheets of Nanoflex FT40 (2.0, I think) lying around. For a reason.

Admittedly a huge fan of the FT48, I use that as a BH rubber, have used it on FH as well (and might do so again, when my current T05 takes a hike up Narayama mountain). A friend of mine tried it, liked it but has a penchant for softer rubbers, coming from Rakza 7 Soft. So when going into full-on EJ mode afterseason, he bought two slabs of FT40 (and various Rasanters at various thicknesses, and various thicknesses of R7S as well in the end; different story).

Anyway, these slabs of FT40 landed with me. Having had a longer run of physical inconveniences (neck injury: cervical herniated disc; whooping cough, and so on) I'd become a bit unsure myself, and thought, well, why not try the luxury of a greater margin of error.

It worked, in a way. It was quite easy to adapt to the FT40. In direct play the FT48 is its absolute master, but it is significantly slower, has a high throw and offers much more margin of safety in the spinning game. So I thought I played well, with very few unforced errors. I liked the feel of the shots too; nice arc and kick when brush looping, and so on.

So my game felt good and confident, yet I still suffered surprise defeats. Players I usually and routinely would put under pressure until they caved now suddenly stayed in the rallies. So I had a coach analyse why. And what he told me was: it's just not dangerous enough. The quality of my spins were too low, so: insufficient pressure, and opportunities for the opponent instead. My openings didn't penetrate deep enough, they were spinny but not immensely so.

So I adapted, and started hitting with more power. I still got good safety, better penetration, and much more speed; but even so, not dangerous enough for the opponent, and it put quite a bit of strain on my own performance.

In the end, I fell back on the FT48. I'm still focused on improving my footwork, stance, recovery, but there's much more danger in my game. The pressure is on.

The Nanoflex FT40 is an extremely good control rubber, much more so than T05 even though it shares some of its qualities when opening up on backspin. It does not offer the T05 spin level or the T05 gears, though; for that, see FT48 — although that's quite a bit faster than T05 in its lower gears. Players stronger than me might have what it takes to create true danger with it when opening up, or engaging a counter-spin duel; not me, sadly.

Reactions: whocarez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Interesting observations. I will have to compare it more to T05 over a longer period of time. FT40 in 2.1mm feels fast right now out of the box, but I am pretty sure this will change after a few sessions. You might be onto something when it comes to the spin too. Possibly a little less spin, but not sure yet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
The high throw of ft40 really interest me for my backhand rubber as tenergy 05 n baracuda r the only 2 rubbers suit my backhand play at the moment after trying so many rubbers for backhand
Plus it is soft rubber.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Joass
I read some yours review, I use AK47Red on a innerforce T5000 clone, I search a rubber for FH like it with small tensor ,rakza 7 is already too tensor .
I dont' brush much, impact in top is like drive,furius,in the sponge not on topsheet ,fast and very low ,and I smash easly and vary fast ( also on opponent's topspin if he go little high).
AK47 red have all ,but don't hook the opponent 's backspin when I want topspin.
So..Nonoflex FT48 can is my answer.?
It is much harder of rakza7?( because AK47 is a bit hard on T5000, everybody tell me is a brik)
Tried you the Nanoflex FT45? (40 too soft I think)

This user has no status.
Joass
I read some yours review, I use AK47Red on a innerforce T5000 clone, I search a rubber for FH like it with small tensor ,rakza 7 is already too tensor .
I dont' brush much, impact in top is like drive,furius,in the sponge not on topsheet ,fast and very low ,and I smash easly and vary fast ( also on opponent's topspin if he go little high).
AK47 red have all ,but don't hook the opponent 's backspin when I want topspin.
So..Nonoflex FT48 can is my answer.?
It is much harder of rakza7?( because AK47 is a bit hard on T5000, everybody tell me is a brik)
Tried you the Nanoflex FT45? (40 too soft I think)

Hi Rustico, the issue you describe here is something not related to your equipment. The hook you're looking for against your opponent's topspin happens when you brush the ball to create topspin. AK47 should work just fine for this, you'll just have to learn the shot. The only thing that may make it easier is to get the softer version of AK47, Blue. The softer sponge should help you learn the difference between brush contact and drive contact.

It might help you to video yourself playing and ask the forum for some tips to help you improve (in another thread, so that we don't hijack this one, of course)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I have tried FT45, but not that much. FT48 stands out.

It is excellent for everything you say about as hard as Rakza 7.

If you think Rakza 7 too ‘tensory’, well… FT48 is very much a modern tensor. Very lively.
I found rakza7 little bouncer (tensor effect)on the slow balls and passive stroke,( no problem on fast play).
Also ft48 is so? I had understood of your reviews that it was not

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hi Rustico, the issue you describe here is something not related to your equipment. The hook you're looking for against your opponent's topspin happens when you brush the ball to create topspin. AK47 should work just fine for this, you'll just have to learn the shot. The only thing that may make it easier is to get the softer version of AK47, Blue. The softer sponge should help you learn the difference between brush contact and drive contact.

It might help you to video yourself playing and ask the forum for some tips to help you improve (in another thread, so that we don't hijack this one, of course)

Thanks, I will prepare a video. My technique must improve. I know.
I started playing a year ago (I played 30 years ago), but now I play on a par with the team's topplayer, he is a very good topspinner with S2, I'm a smasher but he also can not open the backspin with my racket.
I will play Aurus Select on the reverse (tried and do what I ask), I thought that Nanoflex could be what I'm looking for straight
I have blue, a little better but slow

Reactions: thekleifheit13
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I found rakza7 little bouncer (tensor effect)on the slow balls and passive stroke,( no problem on fast play).
Also ft48 is so? I had understood of your reviews that it was not

I've played with FT48 for over two years, Before that, I also used Rakza 7 for a while. I found Rakza 7 a bit too much for me to handle in the short game and passive receives in general. I think FT48 is a bit less edgy there, but it's still very lively. It does OK (and, for me, better than Rakza 7), but does not excel in the passive/short game.

Right now I'm having a bout with Rozena, and am getting a bit more leeway in the touch game at the expense of a bit of power in active blocks and counterspinning. That's a tradeoff, and I'm not certain that it's the right tradeoff yet — though, by now, I can play just fine with both, with some easy adjustments to both tactics and technique.

Reactions: Rustico