• Welcome Guest

1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Norway

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Gewo Nanoflex FT40

Bought a pair of 2.1mm Gewo Nanoflex FT40 from contra.de, they have been on sale for some time. I must say that I am very positively surprised by this rubber. Just tried it on today on a Viscaria blade and it felt really good. Actually so good that I think it might be difficult to pinpoint any big differences from T05 on my other Viscaria blade. It was easy for opening loops, nice to serve with and with a good high throw. And the sound, that crisp clicking sound. Oh man... really easy to know when a shot was right.

I am just barely an intermediate player, so maybe not that easy to spot the big differences. I have to add that the properties might change after some days too and I played mostly with FT40 today. One would think that FT40 is softer than T05, but it certainly did not feel that way. Anyway, this might change over time. Maybe FT40 only felt better just today.

2. Top | #2
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak

Senior TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity One (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 (2.1)
      Backhand Rubber Gewo Nanoflex FT48 (1.9)

Reviews
      Read 5 Reviews
      Liked 909 Times in 473 Posts
      I have to sheets of Nanoflex FT40 (2.0, I think) lying around. For a reason.

Admittedly a huge fan of the FT48, I use that as a BH rubber, have used it on FH as well (and might do so again, when my current T05 takes a hike up Narayama mountain). A friend of mine tried it, liked it but has a penchant for softer rubbers, coming from Rakza 7 Soft. So when going into full-on EJ mode afterseason, he bought two slabs of FT40 (and various Rasanters at various thicknesses, and various thicknesses of R7S as well in the end; different story).

Anyway, these slabs of FT40 landed with me. Having had a longer run of physical inconveniences (neck injury: cervical herniated disc; whooping cough, and so on) I'd become a bit unsure myself, and thought, well, why not try the luxury of a greater margin of error.

It worked, in a way. It was quite easy to adapt to the FT40. In direct play the FT48 is its absolute master, but it is significantly slower, has a high throw and offers much more margin of safety in the spinning game. So I thought I played well, with very few unforced errors. I liked the feel of the shots too; nice arc and kick when brush looping, and so on.

So my game felt good and confident, yet I still suffered surprise defeats. Players I usually and routinely would put under pressure until they caved now suddenly stayed in the rallies. So I had a coach analyse why. And what he told me was: it's just not dangerous enough. The quality of my spins were too low, so: insufficient pressure, and opportunities for the opponent instead. My openings didn't penetrate deep enough, they were spinny but not immensely so.

So I adapted, and started hitting with more power. I still got good safety, better penetration, and much more speed; but even so, not dangerous enough for the opponent, and it put quite a bit of strain on my own performance.

In the end, I fell back on the FT48. I'm still focused on improving my footwork, stance, recovery, but there's much more danger in my game. The pressure is on.

The Nanoflex FT40 is an extremely good control rubber, much more so than T05 even though it shares some of its qualities when opening up on backspin. It does not offer the T05 spin level or the T05 gears, though; for that, see FT48 — although that's quite a bit faster than T05 in its lower gears. Players stronger than me might have what it takes to create true danger with it when opening up, or engaging a counter-spin duel; not me, sadly.

3. The Following User Likes yoass's Post:

whocarez (02-13-2018)

4. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Norway

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
      Interesting observations. I will have to compare it more to T05 over a longer period of time. FT40 in 2.1mm feels fast right now out of the box, but I am pretty sure this will change after a few sessions. You might be onto something when it comes to the spin too. Possibly a little less spin, but not sure yet.

5. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Singapore

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
      The high throw of ft40 really interest me for my backhand rubber as tenergy 05 n baracuda r the only 2 rubbers suit my backhand play at the moment after trying so many rubbers for backhand
      Plus it is soft rubber.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

6. Top | #5
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak

Senior TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity One (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 (2.1)
      Backhand Rubber Gewo Nanoflex FT48 (1.9)

Reviews
      Read 5 Reviews
      Liked 909 Times in 473 Posts
      Like I said, I have two fresh FT40 sheets lying unused. Cut to std BTY head size. PM me if interested.