Graphene use in blades

This user has no status.
Does anyone know if any of the blade manufacturers have started to use graphene in the construction of their blades.

I would think the strength and other properties of graphene would lend themselves to making stiff but forgiving blades. I even could imagine a layer of it between each ply of a seven ply bat so each layer gained from its inclusion. Seems a better way to incorporate carbon into a bat then all in one or two layers and its tensile strength advantage over carbon sheets would be beneficial, at least I think so though I have not of course done the math or engineering to know for sure.

Just thought I would ask since I suspect we will see it soon from some manufacture.

There! I have started my first thread. LOL

This user has no status.
Graphene is available but probably too expensive

Is graphene even available/ used anywhere commercially yet?

Yes, it is in use in some battery manufacturing processes and some chemical/medical uses, but it might be way too expensive for the quantities that could be needed for any type of large scale production. Just a matter of time though. I have heard that archery/arrow manufacturing is looking at it already.

After checking I found there is some use by Head in their tennis rackets, a shoe company that is set to release a light weight sport shoe and a bicycle company that is using small quantities of graphene in some of its frames.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There is a company out there adding it to bicycle frames at an amazing (high) cost. They obviously don't build the whole bike out of it, they just add it to normal carbon fibers at some key locations where extreme stiffness and strength is required.

I am not sure what properties it would confer to TT blades though. Excessive stiffness is not good for blades.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Remember the craze over carbon nanotubes(CNT), which are made of graphene, at the turn of the millennium?

Stiga started using it in the gluing of their hardwood blades in 2008. The trademark name is Hybtonite, by Amroy, invented in 2005.

Guess what? It didn't change the world.

“At the time, nanotubes were just another material and a beautiful piece of science,” Ajayan recalls. “I wouldn’t even say there was hype back then. It was excitement.”

But that started to change around the dawn of the new millennium as nanotubes gained fame as a wonder material.

Sporting goods companies started hawking equipment that contained nanotubes before researchers had solidified what benefits the materials provided.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
There is a company out there adding it to bicycle frames at an amazing (high) cost. They obviously don't build the whole bike out of it, they just add it to normal carbon fibers at some key locations where extreme stiffness and strength is required.

I am not sure what properties it would confer to TT blades though. Excessive stiffness is not good for blades.

I was figuring the ability to embed small amounts in a very controlled way would be better than putting full sheets of carbon in only two location (but of course that idea might not hold water), and with graphene you literally can't get any smaller amount or more control over the embedding process. But as zeio's post points out some of this has apparently been tried and with little effect. But at least I have my answer - some company's have tried using graphene (at least in nanotube form).

Jan 2018
Well, it sort of worked, at increasing the retail price riding the hype. Textreme is going the same route.

I can tell you Stiga is not doing as well financially, thanks to these "fails".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
Actually guys, there are whole industry in graphene manufacture. :) It is both produced in mass and affordable (still really expensive but many companies are toying with these materials). There are already graphene enhanced skis, graphene tennis racquets and so on. If you wanna learn something more about usage of graphene, just check this company. The possibilities to experiment with graphene are there, we are just waiting for some company to pick it up. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
We have a handmade blade producer in Turkey who uses graphene layers in his products. The trade name is TRM. It is well known in Turkey. I didn't personaly use the graphene model. But inquired extensively from people who did. They said it was too loud for their taste(?) I dont know the exact composition of the blade like how many layers. where the composite material is located what kind of wood was used. When and if I get my hands on one I will let you know . Also if anyone here knows of another graphene model I would like to know any details.

Last edited:
Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
and here is a link to a photo from a tt equipment site.
It is rated off+ by the producer. (They have another off++ model ). price is around 100 dollars but I doubt it can be bought from abroad.

Last edited:
Reactions: JST