Questions regarding "Kick effect"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Read 1 reviews
So basically i watched a video about the best setup for tt and this guy says that a hard rubber paired with flexy blade will give the best "Kick effect". But what exactly is kick effect?

I am assuming kick effect is the sudden increase in speed when the ball bounces off the other side of the table. Is this "kick effect" also the same thing that makes peoples serves curve the other way suddenly? Is kick effect proportional to spin because sometimes my serve will have this kick effect but has very little spin but sometimes my serve also has alot of spin but i dont see the ball having this kick effect.

Also, that guy said that having hard rubber with flexy blade will have kick effect but while i was watching the ttdaily boll alc review, i noticed timobolls loops were crazy fast and spinny, and seemed to have this "kick effect" because when the ball touched dans side, i noticed the sudden increase in speed. However timo boll isnt using flexy blade with hard rubber but infact the opposite.

can some tt wizard please explain this whole kick effect to me?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
This is what happens when people rip off contents from others, do not cite the source and give credit where credit is due.

Give the original article a look.

Kick effect refers to the chain of reaction that happens when a mid-air ball loaded with heavy topspin hits the table. In laymen's terms, it happens when the spin is sufficiently strong enough it turns into additional speed of the ball. The end result? The ball kicks forward.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So basically i watched a video about the best setup for tt and this guy says that a hard rubber paired with flexy blade will give the best "Kick effect". But what exactly is kick effect?
As the ball top spins the top of the ball is moving forward faster than the center of the ball. The bottom of the ball is moving forwards slower than the center of the ball. As the ball spins faster this difference in speeds is more pronounced. When the spin is fast enough the bottom of the ball is actually moving backwards relative to the table so when the ball hits the table it "pushes off" the table or "kicks off' the table.

If you are on a skate board and want to make it go faster you use your foot to give a push or the the foot must be moving backwards relative to the ground to apply a forward thrust to the ground to speed up. Upside Down Carl should be an expert at explaining this.

The ball will 'kick' forward when the spin to speed ratio is high. When the spin to speed ratio is low the ball slows down after contact but the friction causes the ball to spin a little faster. If you serve a dead ball the ball will start to top spin more and more after each bounce until it is rolling.

If you hit with a top side spin the ball will change directions after hitting the table. Serves with a cork screw spin will definitely change directions.

The rubber isn't as important as the player's technique and stroke. The ball doesn't care how the force is applied to it.

This topic is related to another recent topic.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
Kick, where the ball spins faster when compared to the speed of the ball. I don't know the formula, i just think in simple terms. You can loop a ball in exactly the same way. Almost the same arc and same distance. Where a loop may be fast with less spin and the second is a slower loop with much greater spin. The slower loop with greater spin will grab the table better and bounce/kick higher when compared to the faster loop with less spin.

Creating spin in our table tennis technique is one very hard to learn and understand. My 2 cents added. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It can work in opposite way too. A light underpin bouncing on a table with some friction will brake noticeable and not kick out.

However, since the OP mentioned a certain type of blade and rubber, the OP could have been addressing the kind of extra rebound from impact.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It can work in opposite way too. A light underpin bouncing on a table with some friction will brake noticeable and not kick out.
Yes, this is what makes chopped balls so deadly. When first getting use to looping back chopped balls the looper has a tendency to not wait for the ball long enough because the ball is not coming forward as expected. If the looper reaches forward to hit the ball then most of the paddle motion will be forward instead of the up motion required to match the spin of the ball to get the chopped ball back. When returning back spin balls reaching forward is not good. I am assuming the chopped ball is low and deep. Otherwise there are other options.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The table and ball are huge factors. In a 4 star tourney, the tables are usually new... and have more friction that you would think. This makes it real tough instinctively to be in the right place vs an incoming underspin, especially if it is not heavy and the ball is slow... the ball just won't kick out the same on a club table that is more worn.

The adjustment is to move forward a little more or move up and impact the ball closer to the bounce.