11-0 Good or Bad?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
When it's 10-0 what do you do? Do you assert your dominance or show mercy for your opponent? It is a widely debated topic and ttguru suggested that I make a blog post about it. Not only did I do that, I asked a few international players what they thought. See here: http://matthetherington.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-comes-after-10-0.html

But aside from that light reading, what is your opinion on what comes after 10-0? Are you an 11-0 person or an 11-1 person?

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I personally give a point earlier than 10-0. If I am winning 8-0 or 9-0 I will give a point then, but I always make it convincing i.e I will push the ball a little too hard so it goes into the net or aim my flick a bit wider than the table, something like that. I don't want my opponent to feel like I am giving them a free point because they cannot earn one

Reactions: Johnho52000
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Haha awesome blog post Matt. I like the responses of Szocs and Baum :D Personally I never give a point at 10-0, just because nobody here would do it I think. An 11-0 is usually received with a smile on both sides, so there is clearly no signs of disrespect. Would be interesting to have some Asian players' comments on this maybe, since it is more of a habit there to give a point I believe.

If I were 10-0 down and they gave me a point I wouldn't mind, but it wouldn't make me feel better either ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It's usually a sign of courtesy to give a point. Our sport is about mentality and skill. It's not about dominance, but about brilliance. By giving that point away you're saying that you believe in the sport enough to understand that winning isn't everything. It's about improving yourself and matching your skills against another persons. Too many players believe more in winning than the integrity of the game. I'm not saying that 11-0 won't happen because at times it will because the other player may give up if they are serving at 0-10, but if I'm serving at 10-0 I always give a point so that both of our ego's can be in tact. To do otherwise in my opinion is saying to the other opponent, you aren't good enough to win a single point. Especially in the public eye can this hurt a players ego. Because those who only see the score 11-0 don't know how much effort would be put into the game. Very often 11-0 games seem to have the best rallies, but with the loser just having a little less luck than the other player with a ball hitting the net or edge or just missing the ball/table by a millimeter.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great post. Nice to read what some world class players think on the subject and how opinions do differ. In my opinion the circumstances really do matter. I can think of reasons to give someone 11-0 and I can think of reasons to let the person get a point. I don't like just giving a point because, if the player knows you did that it does not mean the same thing as if they won a point. So if I am up 8-0 I might start goofing around and not playing as hard to try and let the other player actually win a point. There are a couple of places I play where people still play to 21. So in a game to 21 I usually start goofing around if I am up by more than 10. Usually if you can beat someone in that way you are enough better than them that you can do what ever you want against them. If I was up 8-0 against someone who was at about the same level as me, I would let them get a point by giving them something I know they are good at, and then go back to my A game. Unless, of course, the person has given me some reason to hand them 11-0.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Wouldn't it be an insult to give a point at 10-0? If you were doing your best to get to that score, it means you respect the other player's skills by giving your best. By then, if you give a pt wouldn't it be just rubbing salt to wound?

It's another story if the other player ups his game and catches up by forcing points though. Sometimes unforced errors are just too obvious give aways.

my 2 cents... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Well if you give a point and the opponent makes 3 or 4 more before you win, he goes into the next game with more confidence. You don't want that. But of course if you have the feeling that it really is not good to make 11-0 you should give a point. It is all about personal opinion. Both giving and not giving the point can make the opponent angry, so the easy way is to just do what you feel like. For me, that is not giving a point :)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I would let them have at least 1 point, but they have to earn it. That means by giving them a slightly weaker return, giving them the opportunity to attack and putting me on the back foot and finally winning the point.

I try not to look condescending or patronizing. But I wouldn't do it at 10-0. it's too risky. Maybe 8 or 9 points up. I think we've thread this topic once...hmmm, but I could be wrong.:) Even pros do this.

Reactions: TableTennisNerd
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
A bit of a coincident this has come up. Just a few weeks ago after losing a tight first game the second set went to 16-14 against me although I had three chances to level the score to 1-1 but failed. Wow and behold, I lost the 3rd 11-0 which I think now perhaps I should have not tried so hard to win the 2nd set against a good younger player who to his credit showed no mercy to me even knowing I was 100 years older than he was which tells a story. However, I did make the effort to at least try and get 1 point but even failed at that. My opponent won all his three that night but that does not make me feel any better. lol

This user has no status.
i agree with the earlier responds from Azlan. I will give a weaker return or not a very good service, but the point has to be made by the oppenent. If he doesn't make the point we will laugh and do high fives with the teammates :p. I never been in the position to lose 11-0, have been several times in the position winning 11-0. If the oppent earns some respect the return/service will be weaker then im playing against someone who doesnt earn any respect. Serving wrong or just hitting the ball away i think is weak and disrespectfull to the oppenent. Winning 11-0 can profide extra motivation for the opponent. Winning 11-0 is still wining 1 set, you have to win more sets to win the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Depends on the occasion imo.
As a pro you should definitely try to get every point you can because the opponent can always come back and it's your job and you earn money for it.
As an amateur you can choose I guess. But isn't it even more humiliating for you opponent if you gift him a point?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I always give a mercy point. Its not even about necessarily being nice to the other player, its just based on my own personal politeness.

In Xu Xin's game against Bastian Steger at the world team cups I don't think Steger even appreciated Xu Xin giving him the point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Depends on whom you are playing . I would NEVER do this to some unformed newbie/youngster , as it might just prevent them from wanting to play competitive table tennis again, however , if it were some grizzled veteran who has been playing for decades , then I can see no harm in winning 11-0.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Depends on whom you are playing . I would NEVER do this to some unformed newbie/youngster , as it might just prevent them from wanting to play competitive table tennis again, however , if it were some grizzled veteran who has been playing for decades , then I can see no harm in winning 11-0.

Good answer imo.

I was beaten 11-0 in an end this year. I deserved it as I was seriously inferior. I would prefer this to being given an obvious point. I would prefer to earn it.

I also take the view that whether it is 11-0, 11-1 or 11-5 the opponent still gets the win. All I worry about is having played my best.

Reactions: pipott