Outer ALC blade with Koto-venner and Ayous core?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
If you want something stiffer but still remain same feeling. Instead of moving out the alc, you can change the outer ply.
968-5 is on such example. it has ebony outer ply. ( ebony - ayous - alc - ayous- alc - ayous - ebony).
But it is the DHS provincial custom made. The price is still high. (>£250)

Anyway, it is the closest you your demand.

Nice Idea, thanks!
Due to the price of the 968-5, I will talk to a custom builder and than decine whats suits best, a harder outer veneer or moving the ALC.

This user has no status.
this is quite interesting question, but could you be so kind and hold this thread clean? And open a new one. Thanks!

Manufacterer use 3 thin veneers of the same wood instead of just one thicker kind of it bcause they place the grain in different angles. An example; if the ayous core grain is placed vertically the veneer next to the core is placed horizontally. Otherwise the blade would become unstable and easily break or very easy affect by temperature and slightest change in humidity.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Manufacterer use 3 thin veneers of the same wood instead of just one thicker kind of it bcause they place the grain in different angles. An example; if the ayous core grain is placed vertically the veneer next to the core is placed horizontally. Otherwise the blade would become unstable and easily break or very easy affect by temperature and slightest change in humidity.

Yeah, I would imagine - thanks for explanation ... but the host here likes to "hold it clean" so I'd rather not comment too much ... ; )

I'm also eager to know the outcome of the experiment.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
If you are still looking try DHS dipper sp500 I have one it is koto armid carbon limba ayous they are fast well balanced but a little heavy about 94 grams