Question regarding net clamp - Rule

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Hi TTD, I have a question.

I had a match last night, my opponent smashed the ball into the bottom of the net, hitting the net clamp, the ball flies up over the net and hits my side, off an edge just to add insult! Is that a legal point?

Yes. I won't be able to quote the rule here, but from watching many matches with Adam Bobrow's commentary, he always emphasizes that the net clamp is just treated as part of the net itself.

Sorry for your bad luck anyway ... it was a shameful point to score ... ; )

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The net clamp is not part of the net once it hits the clamp it is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Taken from the ITTF rules, which may or may not apply to your competition:
https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2018/01/2018ITTFHandbook.pdf (PDF)

2.2.1 The net assembly shall consist of the net, its suspension and the supportingposts, including the clamps attaching them to the table

2.10.1 Unless the rally is a let, a player shall score a point
- 2.10.1.3 if, after he or she has made a service or a return, the ball touches anythingother than the net assembly before being struck by an opponent;

Reactions: Suga D
The OP stated the ball hit:
1) the bottom of the net
2) then the clamp
3) then his side on the edge

If this is exactly how it happened, then his opponent wins the point. His opponent won because of the ball hitting (#1) the bottom of the net first.

OP, correct the scenario above if this is incorrect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Well if it hits the net but not the table, then the net clamp and then the other edge it's a normal point. It's just important that it has not hit the table. It can even bounce on the netclamp twice...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Taken from the ITTF rules, which may or may not apply to your competition:
https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2018/01/2018ITTFHandbook.pdf (PDF)

2.2.1 The net assembly shall consist of the net, its suspension and the supportingposts, including the clamps attaching them to the table [...]

Thanks for the rules Blackbird.

So 2.10.1 should be read:
"Unless the rally is a let, a player shall score a point if, after he or she has made a service or a return, the ball touches anything
other than the net assembly before being struck by an opponent;"

It seems to be describing the situation, but man is this poorly written or what? Can't make any sense of it ...

Btw, I must confess guys I take it really bad when someone simply contradicts you and does not even care to provide sources or explanation. I find it annoying at times ...

@Xylit and @Fabian of course I'm not talking about you. You just, sort of, confirm my sources here. Thanks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The OP stated the ball hit:
1) the bottom of the net
2) then the clamp
3) then his side on the edge

If this is exactly how it happened, then his opponent wins the point. His opponent won because of the ball hitting (#1) the bottom of the net first.

looks like only #2 and #3 are needed for the opponent to win the point, right ??

Last edited:
This user has no status.
looks like only #2 and #3 are needed for the opponent to win the point, right ??
Of course. You don't have to distinguish between the top of the net and the net clamp. Just use the word "net" and that is it. There is no difference in different parts of the net. Either the ball hits the net or it does not.

Reactions: Suga D