European Players & Tacky Rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Kou uses 05.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Actually I was quite surprised that anybody took me seriously. What I thought I was doing was adding additional scorn on the state of US table tennis.

This thread has certainly wandered through a lot of topics. I used to practice with a guy who was a province level player until he was about 16. Came to the US for graduate school. Classic Chinese style. He hated my Tenergy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Actually I was quite surprised that anybody took me seriously. What I thought I was doing was adding additional scorn on the state of US table tennis.

This thread has certainly wandered through a lot of topics. I used to practice with a guy who was a province level player until he was about 16. Came to the US for graduate school. Classic Chinese style. He hated my Tenergy.

Yes, but Zeio probably doesn't know how bad US table tennis really is. And I was insulted.;)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Yes, but Zeio probably doesn't know how bad US table tennis really is. And I was insulted.;)
I've played in the US. The amateur level was not as bad as I thought, but the market is just so small. Well, 3rd world country small. :p Which is a shame, seeing the US was once the World Champion in the hardbat era. I could understand why Berndt and company reminisce about the by-gone days so much.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
Zeio, please don't get distracted. I value your insight and hope for your response.

Comment like the one above are a little provocative (sorry to say it) in a way, that they already assume your bad intentions. We had a whole different topic about it already.

So don't worry. Please concentrate on the core discussion - so interesting ; )
No, it's actually a good distraction.

It just gave me a light-bulb moment.

The answer to OP's original question is perhaps the following:

"You're European. You use Chinese tacky rubber? I'm offended by that!" :cool:

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I've played in the US. The amateur level was not as bad as I thought, but the market is just so small. Well, 3rd world country small. :p Which is a shame, seeing the US was once the World Champion in the hardbat era. I could understand why Berndt and company reminisce about the by-gone days so much.

I have traveled a lot and have played in Germany, Sweden and China, and the UK. The level of amateur table tennis is actually not all that different in any of those places since amateurs are not pros (I am excluding former pros from this). One club I visited in Stockholm had amateur players there who played in reasonably high league there and would have been beaten by the best amateur players at my club. The thing about the US is that the density is so low. There are many places where there are simply no serious players regardless of level and you may have to travel many hours to find any serious amateur players. In a lot of places you can only find a place to play for a few hours a week. Maybe no kids playing, no decent tournaments anywhere and in most places nothing approaching a league. But these days lots if not most of the larger US cities have clubs open 7 days per week year round (maybe only one, sometimes more than one) with coaching available etc. etc. And there you can find lots of pretty good players who would hold their own in a lot of places. Of course, a big reason for this is a lot of the time those players COME from other places.

The vast geographical area of the US is a big challenge, along with lack of funding that makes the lack of density a bigger problem. Even finding a place for budding prospective national team members to train together is a huge challenge (if some come from east coast, some from west coast, some from Texas, etc. they have to travel really far to some one place, which costs a lot of money; and also in the US no player can make a living by just playing, so they would have to take time off their job to attend the national team camp, etc., etc.). So in a very real sense, there is no such thing as a professional player in the US. But by amateur players I mean people who have no intent to join some national team or anything like that.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Continuing that theme, I travel quite a bit to Germany. What impressed me there is not so much the level of amateur players (although some are really good, make no mistake); it is the shear number of players and also how easy it is to find places to play, the high quality of the playing conditions, etc. etc.

That is sort of true in places I have been in China although one could be surprised at how often the playing conditions at places for amateur players are pretty awful.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Eugene Wang plays for Canada so what's your real point if any?

Probably "if any" is the best part ; ) but the full sentence was supposed to be: I've seen Kou Lei playing for Ukraine on various events and I always thought his game and fh attacks close to the table suited H3 like equipment. But when I watched him closely now, I must say his style is quite unique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
No, it's actually a good distraction. [...]

Zeio, if I may repeat part of my last post to you.

Are the "vegetable - VOC free" booster really the case? I mean do they really exist? If yes, than the whole situation, when you think about it, is just so unreasonable. ITTF bans speed glue and boosters for health reasons, someone comes up with VOC free solution and it is STILL NOT ok?

@ "threaten" those that dare to sell them" - could you resend it, cause when I click on it, there is just a blank page?

Last edited:
Jan 2018
I fixed the link in the original post. It should work now.

Vegetable VOC-free booster? I'm not sure about the vegetable part, but the ones used by CNT and the general public are practically undetectable by that funny looking device. That's been the case I believe since 2010/11. Well, Sharara spoke out of both sides of his mouth on many issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...]
Vegetable VOC-free booster? I'm not sure about the vegetable part [...]

Thanks for the link. I read it a bit more and I've found some familiar sounding names over there ... ; )
Although ... I would like to stay in a general context, and not to be conclusive about any particular NT.

So using the VOC free booster at the "factory level" falls perfectly into the 1st scenario described as legal by "Adham".
This factory level thing is just so murky for me ...

I wonder what would be his response for the hypothetical scenario:
1. Factory level, sponge with no booster attached to the topsheet certified with number x.
2. Factory level, sponge with booster attached to the topsheet certified with the same number x .

Would both coverings be treated as the same (in terms of LARC) and legal?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Perhaps this is a language issue.

Can you describe the process of how to apply booster?

Do you apply booster to your topsheet?

No, no ... I refer here to same people arguing that boosters (or substances contained by boosters) are even a part of the process of ATTACHING sponges to topsheets (at the factory level).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Well maybe the Technical Leaflet is more specific? Describes specific productions process, mentions allowed substances and their amount?

If not, then "Factory level" term, in my opinion would almost mean: if I do it it's ok, but if you do it, it's not. Yeah someone will argue, post factory changes the topsheet - ok. I would like to know if it isn't the case that the effect on topsheet is just marginal as compared to the sponge - for the actual performance.

Considering the whole murkiness ... I'm somewhat inclined to think i was rather naive in my thinking.

Anyway, I was tt born about 2008 in Europe, so the speed glue era was not my game. Besides early stages I almost always played tensors and I never boosted anything not even China staff I tried.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I also noticed that quite a lot non-chinese players are really using h3 in their forehands.
Japanese: Ishikawa, Hayata, Hitomi(chopper)
Korean:Jang Woo Jin, Jeoung young sik, An jae hyun

Japanese may be using h3 from nittaku.
But for Korean, no ideas...

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
.... or lack thereof. Can anyone explain why not many Euro pros use tacky rubbers? Hell, any non Chinese for that matter. I mean im sure its common at the amateur\semi-pro level. But i've yet to see a top non-Chinese pro use tacky rubbers. Anyone care to explain that to me?

Chinese rubbers are the best that exists !!!
"European players are probably lazy" !!!
If Euro-Japanese rubbers were better than Chinese rubbers, Chinese players would also play with them ...
Many Chinese players have also started using sticky rubbers for backhand.
There are many reasons why this is so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I also noticed that quite a lot non-chinese players are really using h3 in their forehands.
Japanese: Ishikawa, Hayata, Hitomi(chopper)
Korean:Jang Woo Jin, Jeoung young sik, An jae hyun

Japanese may be using h3 from nittaku.
But for Korean, no ideas...

Wow - even JJS and AJH are using H3 on their forehands? I've also noticed that JWJ also appears to be using the Hurricane Long 5. I wonder if his setup is essentially identical to Ma Long's.

I used to assume that Taiwanese and Hong Kong players also use Chinese rubbers on their forehand - but I actually think this is not the case in general.