Looking for help choosing new blade in off- region

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Is it Big speed comparison between primorac and Korbel? (is primorac to slow?)

I am thinking of a new blade, wanted the Korbel blade for its ply layers and looping characteristics but don't like its oversize headsize. (or, I am unsure how that feels). What about Hadraw VK? It is 157x150 mm with 5-7/8 mm thickness which i want. What's the composition?

I have a allwood Yasaka Extra but it is too soft and slow and also a carbon blade which is too fast and uncontrollable. Thinking therefore on primorac but don't want it to be like the YE. Want something in between.

Sorry for borrowing the thread but find it relevant to ask the speed difference between Korbel and primorac because that what you recommend him.

There's not a big speed comparison between the Primorac & Korbel. Either would be the right step up from the Yasaka Extra. There are many benefits to a larger head size (see this thread: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?16984-Pros-and-cons-of-larger-blade-head-size). Otherwise the Hadraw VK is the exact same composition and thickness as the Korbel JP, only difference is the smaller 157x150mm head size. I would consider the OSP Virtuoso (or Virtuoso+) blade as well, which is also similar in composition but of even greater quality, read the reviews including Carl's on TTD's equipment review section. I just got mine in the mail and will try it soon.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Lucky you guys if the handle is not an issue for you.
I've also wanted Korbel, but i don't like it's flared handle size and i like st one, which is hard to find with decent blade weight.
As for weight, it is also hard to find 5ply wood blade with 90+g (Mazunov is not an answer).
So just choose blade with comfortable handle and decent weight. And train, train, train.
P.s.: it's just my humble opinion. ;)

KJA

This user has no status.

KJA

This user has no status.
Feb 2018
There's not a big speed comparison between the Primorac & Korbel. Either would be the right step up from the Yasaka Extra. There are many benefits to a larger head size (see this thread: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?16984-Pros-and-cons-of-larger-blade-head-size). Otherwise the Hadraw VK is the exact same composition and thickness as the Korbel JP, only difference is the smaller 157x150mm head size.

Is Hadraw VK also Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba? Like Korbel EU and Japan?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Is Hadraw VK also Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba? Like Korbel EU and Japan?

Yes, like I previously said in the post you quoted, the Hadraw VK is "the exact same composition and thickness" as the Korbel. Since the VK is made in Japan it has the same higher craftsmanship as the Korbel JP which is a bit softer and has more dwell time than its European counterpart.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
The fact is that there are two types of people: those who buy a nice blade and and use it for a good while and are contend with it, and those who are always curious what else is out there. For the first group, the bat is a means to play the game; either to improve (thus looking for the bat that is right for them), or to enjoy (thus looking for the bat that they enjoy the most). The second group looks at the bat as a goal by itself: a source of joy and satisfaction. For them, exploring and understanding different blades and rubbers is not an endeavor to achieve a certain goal, but a goal in and of itself. The latter group is often called equipment junkies. [...] Choose wisely.
Well, once I get a setup, I will stick to it. And its probably gonna be some sort of Primoarc, so don't worry :D

@ belugma, Stiga handles are awesome. If you don’t care that the blade is very easy to damage and break, then you should think about this:

The Primorac helps you get A LOT more dwell time. Which will help you improve your technique a lot faster.

The Infinity is delicate and easy to break. And the things Stiga has done to make the surface harder cause it to feel crisp. But hollow. And cause the ball to rebound off it much faster than I think you would want.

The blades are about the same speed. Infinity a little faster. But the Infinity allows you way less dwell time. So, requires higher level technique to already be in place. And does not enhance your learning curve anywhere near as much and would cause you to get considerably less spin.
Does it really break that easily? I always thought Stiga would be high quality.. Well, with less dwell time its out anyways.
So if you got something other than a Primorac, choose the Korbel. [emoji2]
About that, I will definetly test the Primoarc and if I can get my hands on a Korbel, I do that aswell. But what about the Yasaka Sweden Extra. I came across that blade yesterday (also some posts by you) and apparently it is like a Primoarc. If that is really the case, I would try to get my hands on one aswell to see if the handle would fit me better.

For rubbers I would advice Vega Europe DF over Intro. For me it has a more linear change of speed and has a more spin. I feel the Intro uncomfortably slow at close distance and the lack of spin would stumble development - so I would advise it to a very beginner only, not to a developing player.
Thats how I feel about the Intro aswell, mostly because it is even advertised as a beginner rubber.

Yesterday there weren't many people there, but I could try a BTY Schlager Carbon (I know, way to fast, etc.) with some hard bluestorm rubber on the fh and an acuda on the bh. Suprisingly (?) topspins were really easy because it felt like the ball would stay forever on the bat compared to my Kinetic All+. Also the ball wouldn't hit through the rubber towards the blade, probably because of the max thickness on the fh. I tried 2-3 short pushes and as expected, I couldn't get it on the table :rolleyes:
I don't know how I can assign that in choosing a blade, but I really liked that dwell time! I honestly thought it would be less than mine, but apparently not.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
If your biggest problem is pushing the ball into the net then tbh you ARE a beginner and the kind of player the Vega Intro is perfect for. It is not bouncy, it is not too soft, you can do every stroke with it and it's perfect for learning. And there's no way that something like Baracuda is better for you. It's super spin sensitive and you will have even more problems putting the ball over the net.
You seem to be too proud to admit that you have to learn a lot. There's nothing wrong with having an allround racket. I can guarantee you that, for your skills, a fast racket will lead to half-as*ed strokes which might win you a point now but don't improve you.
When you start playing in a league and get some wins (which is a lot harder than in training, especially against pips players and anti etc in lower leagues which you are not used to) then you can switch to something else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
If your biggest problem is pushing the ball into the net then tbh you ARE a beginner and the kind of player the Vega Intro is perfect for. It is not bouncy, it is not too soft, you can do every stroke with it and it's perfect for learning. And there's no way that something like Baracuda is better for you. It's super spin sensitive and you will have even more problems putting the ball over the net.
You seem to be too proud to admit that you have to learn a lot. There's nothing wrong with having an allround racket. I can guarantee you that, for your skills, a fast racket will lead to half-as*ed strokes which might win you a point now but don't improve you.
When you start playing in a league and get some wins (which is a lot harder than in training, especially against pips players and anti etc in lower leagues which you are not used to) then you can switch to something else.

I know that I need to learn a lot - as mentioned in the first posts.. Especially in the short game with receiving serves (sometimes in the net, sometimes high, so I get pushed easily). It looks like you are reading into it a bit. I was curious about the Intro because of its description and reviews.
I have never mentioned I would go with something like Baracuda. I just said I tested a racket yesterday with Baracuda being one of the rubbers and I happened to like the dwell time the racket had compared to mine. May it be the rubber or the blade which contributed in that.
Would Karis M be 'bad' for me aswell? Or could I go with it? Assuming I can get a deal under my limit around 37€ per rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I know that I need to learn a lot - as mentioned in the first posts.. Especially in the short game with receiving serves (sometimes in the net, sometimes high, so I get pushed easily).
I have never mentioned I would go with something like Baracuda. I just said I tested a racket yesterday with Baracuda being one of the rubbers and I happened to like the dwell time the racket had compared to mine. May it be the rubber or the blade which contributed in that.
Would Karis M be 'bad' for me aswell? Or could I go with it? Assuming I can get a deal under my limit around 37€ per rubber.

Belugma ... why don't you buy two setups:

1. Promirac + 2 Vega Intro, precisely what Fabian told you.
2. Whatsoever you wish.

Now start practicing, playing and you'll see what you like better.

I've been through a lot and trust me, when I read Fabian's posts - he knows what he is saying.

Buy, try and let us know. Don't spend too much time on theory ok : )

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Belugma ... why don't you buy two setups:

1. Promirac + 2 Vega Intro, precisely what Fabian told you.
2. Whatsoever you wish.

Now start practicing, playing and you'll what you like better.

I've been through a lot and trust me, when I read Fabian's posts - he knows what he is saying.

Buy, try and let us know. Don't spend too much time on theory ok : )

I know. Playing and practicing is better than spending time on theory :eek:
I already said I will probably go with this setup. I was just curious why he recommended it when reviewers say stuff like 'its for total beginners', etc.
And I definetly won't buy 2 setups and change them from one day to another every few days.
Why do I have to justify myself for asking the reason behind Fabians recommendation?

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I already said I will probably go with this setup. I was just curious why he recommended it when reviewers say stuff like 'its for total beginners', etc.
And I definetly won't buy 2 setups and change them from one day to another every few days.
Why do I have to justify myself for asking the reason behind Fabians recommendation?

The thing is the Primorac and Korbel are even used by really high level & professional players favoring control & feel, so that's a great base not only for beginners. You can slap the Vega Intro on there for the first year at least, and once you've improved enough, you can switch to Rakza 7 or Baracuda... At which point you'll have upgraded to mid-level/pro equipment just by switching the rubbers...

You've gotten the same best advice now from high level & equipment experts on this forum (Carl, Fabian...) & players who've gone through the same process (Jawien, myself...). This is also advice I've seen been dished out time and time again for a reason, from other longtime users on this and other forums, TT stores, TT11... advice I wish I had stuck with from the beginning and can really enjoy now after years of playing at a club and consistently improving. Enjoy it and improve!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

Sorry if I sounded too principal probably. I just wanted to calm you down a little.

Nothing to add to Thomas's post below. Just ... don't worry about what any amateur-advance-pro-CNT_memeber say about Vega Intro. Listen to Fabian/Carl. Even if VI will turn out to be too slow for you, you'll have a great base and a point of reference.

The thing is the Primorac and Korbel are even used by really high level & professional players favoring control & feel, so that's a great base not only for beginners. [...]

And of course nothing wrong with asking Fabian about the "reason". I'll read it too with interest. ; )

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I'm currently playing with 5 ply OFF- rated blade (Nittaku Latika)
and Yasaka Mark V and Xiom Vega Intro. I don't have an official rating but I'm possibly rated around 1400 on USATT rating system.

From my experience, the Vega Intro is noticeably faster than Mark V. It can generate more spin and is spin sensitive relative to Mark V. In my opinion, it's not a beginner rubber as in for absolute beginner or people still learning the strokes but more like for people who have never played with ESN tensor before. I would argue that it's as fast as soft control tension rubber like Stiga Airoc Astro S.

After a while of playing with Vega Intro, I don't find MX-P on my friend's blade too fast -- just a step up but still controllable. If there's one thing I don't like about it it's just that the rubber is a hard rubber (47.5 ESN) but that's just personal preference and I think most people are playing with hard rubber anyway.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
and Yasaka Mark V and Xiom Vega Intro. I don't have an official rating but I'm possibly rated around 1400 on USATT rating system.

From my experience, the Vega Intro is noticeably faster than Mark V. It can generate more spin and is spin sensitive relative to Mark V. In my opinion, it's not a beginner rubber as in for absolute beginner or people still learning the strokes but more like for people who have never played with ESN tensor before. I would argue that it's as fast as soft control tension rubber like Stiga Airoc Astro S.

After a while of playing with Vega Intro, I don't find MX-P on my friend's blade too fast -- just a step up but still controllable. If there's one thing I don't like about it it's just that the rubber is a hard rubber (47.5 ESN) but that's just personal preference and I think most people are playing with hard rubber anyway.

@Mimobrok Thank you for your great input and welcome to the forum!

@belugma This should help you put things into perspective!
(US rating 1400 is a good level at which you would consistently beat players in the lower leagues in France, Germany...)

Last edited:
Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

Can’t think of why Karis M would be bad for you, but I’m nowhere near as experienced as other people here, so please wait for more input. For someone who likes the feel and hardness (around 43 esn, I think?), the main negatives seem to be: it’s not exciting or spectacular, and requires a lot of work to get high spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Sorry if I sounded too principal probably. I just wanted to calm you down a little.
Don't worry, I thought you wanted to troll me a little because changing setups without giving a 'real' try isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Thanks for your input about the rubber. What is hardness it the Intro? As you seem to use the Latika? Can you tell me something about the handle dimensions? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Don't worry, I thought you wanted to troll me a little because changing setups without giving a 'real' try isn't a good idea in my opinion. [...]

Oh no ... no trolling : ) Believe it or not, from time to time I take two rackets with me to the practice hall. One u see in my description and the other one (Primorac JP + MX-S and Barracuda on bh ... : ) I'll put one blade on the table, close to the net, and play a set or so with the other one. Sometimes I switch them several times during our playing session.

But this is just to reassure me, that my main weapon is "still good". I don't know if anyone does the same? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
This is funny actually and I wonder what you think about it guys?

If I play my colleague (about my skills level) the TB ALC is generally better. Can loop underspin, amateur banana, flips - all are there.
... but I'm sure if I was playing "Timo Boll" : ) the better setup would be the Primorac. With TB ALC I would definitely loose control over the net, loose the temp on strokes, no blocks, so on ..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Thanks for your input about the rubber. What is hardness it the Intro? As you seem to use the Latika? Can you tell me something about the handle dimensions? :)

Xiom listed Vega Intro as hard, which is the same as Vega Pro. I believe it is 47.5 ESN scale (37 Jap/Chinese scale), but all I can say is that it feels definitely harder than Mark V which is listed as 40-45.

As for Nittaku Latika(FL), Nittaku lists it as 102x24 on their catalog, but it is definitely thinner than my friend's Butterfly Timo Boll ALC, which is listed as 100x24, so I don't know which one is wrong. Maybe a third parameter of handle dimension is needed.

Nevertheless, my Nittaku Latika handle is thinner than anything I've ever tried, but I love it! Possibly the most comfortable handle for me. I feel that Timo Boll ALC fl is too thick for me. I am 5'7'' tall, which is something like 171 cm. I don't think I have smaller hands than average people of my height, but if you like large handles or have large hands you should probably stick to Butterfly or European brands.

Last edited: