Fan Zhendong seriously defeats Ma Long?!?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Fan Zhendong has won many times over Ma Long. Ma Long seems to have an advantage in big finals though.

This user has no status.
I asked this in another thread when another top player served similar to both ML and FZD. In other words tosses the ball up with their hand at the center line and then strike the ball back near the side edge of the table. Is that a legal serve? I have to believe that two of the best in the world would have been called on such a blatant fault, but perhaps not?

Don't the rules say the serve should be tossed nearly vertical.

"The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck."

Now a toss that goes a foot or two in the air even and travels a minimum of 2.5 feet relative to a spot on the floor is mostly horizontal which cannot be nearly vertical. Am I being too literal. Are the rules so loosely enforced. I ask because I am getting back into table tennis after 30 years or so and don't want to be a pain at matches etc. But I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In the ittf guide for match officials they show a diagram that suggests a range of what would be an acceptable deviation from vertical. They specfically note that 45 degrees is illegal. A lot depends on toss height if you judge by horizontal travel.. For this aspect Ma Long is not too bad. ZJK is worse. Michael Maze was the worst. I have only seen it called a handful of times.

It is hard to advise someone just coming back because so much is local in our sport. In some places the prevailing norms are more illegal than others in my experience. I try to roll with the flow of wherever I am playing because basically I don't care anymore. I am happy to play win or lose. If my opponents hide their serve then I do to. Of course I came from an era when that was an art form!

Reactions: Tinykin and Rajah*
This user has no status.
In the ittf guide for match officials they show a diagram that suggests a range of what would be an acceptable deviation from vertical. They specfically note that 45 degrees is illegal. A lot depends on toss height if you judge by horizontal travel.. For this aspect Ma Long is not too bad. ZJK is worse. Michael Maze was the worst. I have only seen it called a handful of times.

It is hard to advise someone just coming back because so much is local in our sport. In some places the prevailing norms are more illegal than others in my experience. I try to roll with the flow of wherever I am playing because basically I don't care anymore. I am happy to play win or lose. If my opponents hide their serve then I do to. Of course I came from an era when that was an art form!

Thanks for the reply. I was away from the game for a considerable period. Missed the whole period between Jonyer and Ma Long. So things like speed gluing and some guy named Waldner are outside my radar.

But along with the toss issue I understand boosting or even treating the outside rubber of a blade is technically illegal but you see people speaking about it openly all the time. Back when I was playing originally that would have been enough to get you banned.

But like you I am playing for the fun of it so am probably just going to let it slide. Does make it easier to practice and learn some new serves if everyone is open to being lax about the rules. LOL