• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 38
    1. Top | #1
      TableTennisDaily is offline
      says Ma Long vs Harimoto! Exciting!
       
      Administrator Country: England
      TableTennisDaily's Avatar

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      London
      Posts
      3,796
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 5,638 Times in 1,628 Posts

      It's Official | Timo Boll is the New World Number 1!

      NEWS FLASH!

      In an incredible turn of events German table tennis legend Timo Boll has reclaimed his world number one status after several years since he last reached world number one status!


      Timo Boll victorious over Ma Long! Photo: ITTF Flickr

      This is the second world number one ranking change in the last 3 months after last months world number one Dimitrij Ovtcharov took the top spot after beating Fan Zhendong and dethroning Ma Long at the German Open.

      Although this change wouldn’t have happened with the old ITTF ranking system still in place It’s hard to argue that Timo doesn’t deserve it after defeating both previous world number one’s in each of their last encounters. Defeating Ma Long in the Men’s Singles World Cup semi-final and then beating Ovtcharov in the final of the European Cup.

      What are your thoughts on this situation as a whole? Do you agree and like the new system? How long will Boll stay there? Share your opinions below!

      Here's the top 30 list below:


      MENS WORLD RANKING

      01 (03) Timo Boll
      02 (02) Fan Zhendong
      03 (01) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
      04 (04) Lin Gaoyaun
      05 (05) Xu Xin
      06 (07) Wong Chun Ting
      07 (06) Koki Niwa
      08 (09) Simon Gauzy
      09 (07) Ma Long
      10 (10) Kenta Matsudiara
      11 (15) Lee Sangsu
      12 (11) Tomokazu Harimoto
      13 (12) Marcos Freitas
      14 (14) Jun Mizutani
      15 (16) Hugo Calderano
      16 (17) Omar Assar
      17 (19) Kristian Karlsson
      18 (13) Chuang Chih Yuan
      19 (20) Ruwen Filus
      20 (21) Maharu Yoshima
      21 (33) Bastian Steger
      22 (22) Quadri Aruna
      23 (27) Jun Ueda
      24 (32) Vladimir Samsonov
      25 (24) Emmanuel Lebesson
      26 (29) Jonathan Groth
      27 (18) Yuya Oshima
      28 (25) Chen Chien-An
      29 (31) Jeong Sangeun
      30 (38) Patrick Franziska


      WOMENS WORLD RANKING

      01 (02) Zhu Yuling
      02 (01) Chen Meng
      03 (04) Kasumi Ishikawa
      04 (03) Feng Tianwei
      05 (06) Mima Ito
      06 (07) Miu Hirano
      07 (05) Wang Manyu
      08 (08) Cheng I-Ching
      09 (12) Chen Xingtong
      10 (11) Chen Szu-Yu
      11 (09) Doo Hoi Kem
      12 (14) Hina Hayata
      13 (13) Lee Ho Ching
      14 (21) Ding Ning
      15 (18) Hyowon Suh
      16 (19) Hitimi Sato
      17 (15) Miyu Kato
      18 (10) Li Jie
      19 (17) Sakura Mori
      20 (23) Liu Shiwen
      21 (20) Sofia Polcanova
      22 (24) Elizabeta Samara
      23 (29) Honoka Hashimoto
      24 (31) Saki Shibata
      25 (32) Mo Zhang
      26 (16) Yuting Gu
      27 (40) Bernadette Szcocs
      28 (36) Yui Hamamoto
      29 (25) Minnie Yam Wai Soo
      30 (26) Haeun Yang


      A huge congratulations to Timo Boll who regains the world number 1 status which he had back in January 2011! Before 2011, Timo Boll was world number 1 in 2003! What an incredible career = the 36 year old has had!

      What do you think of this new ranking system? Leave your comments below.

    2. The Following 7 Users Like TableTennisDaily's Post:

      Atas Newton (02-27-2018),Garrison (02-27-2018),Gladxu (02-28-2018),ILoveTT (02-27-2018),Jirrex (02-27-2018),TTHopeful (02-27-2018),WorkerBee (02-27-2018)

    3. Top | #2
      WorkerBee is offline
      says help Ling Ling
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Albania

      Equipment:
      Blade Donic Dotec
      Forehand Rubber Juic Spinspiel
      Backhand Rubber Juic Spinspiel

      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      302
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 203 Times in 104 Posts

    4. Top | #3
      ILoveTT is offline
      says Japan to win World Team Cup!
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: UK
      ILoveTT's Avatar

      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      201
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 77 Times in 55 Posts
      Really good for TT welll done timo

    5. Top | #4
      Sali is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Poland

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro fibercomp 2
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution ELP
      Backhand Rubber Hellfire Spezial

      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      976
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 356 Times in 257 Posts
      Wonder how it is possible that steger advanced 12 places not attending world cup.

    6. Top | #5
      ttmonster is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike, Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8, DHS Hurricane 3 Provinicial, Karis H
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P , Xiom Omega Pro IV, Karis M

      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      3,265
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 3,891 Times in 1,962 Posts
      I think somebody needs to review the code :P
      Quote Originally Posted by Sali View Post
      Wonder how it is possible that steger advanced 12 places not attending world cup.
      Lets go Spinny Looping !

    7. Top | #6
      Matt Hetherington is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Verified Pro Coach
      Moderator Country: New Zealand
      Matt Hetherington's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Senso Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy05
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy05

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      New Zealand
      Posts
      2,374
      Reviews
      Read 12 Reviews
      Liked 980 Times in 367 Posts
      I think this month's world ranking releases have only increased the uncertainties and lack of confidence people have in the potential for the system's future. As points expire and are replaced this system is going to constantly be in motion I think and I believe that reduces its potential to be accurate in comparing the level of players. Again it's still in an adjustment phase but this month's changes aren't promising.
      Pro Table Tennis Coaching Blog at - MHTableTennis

    8. The Following 5 Users Like Matt Hetherington's Post:

      Gladxu (02-28-2018),ILoveTT (02-27-2018),matzreenzi (02-28-2018),TTHopeful (02-27-2018),ttmonster (02-27-2018)

    9. Top | #7
      TTHopeful is offline
      says Dima... Amazing...
       
      Master TTD Member Country: England
      TTHopeful's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Hurricane 3
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Posts
      1,889
      Reviews
      Read 19 Reviews
      Liked 738 Times in 481 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hetherington View Post
      I think this month's world ranking releases have only increased the uncertainties and lack of confidence people have in the potential for the system's future. As points expire and are replaced this system is going to constantly be in motion I think and I believe that reduces its potential to be accurate in comparing the level of players. Again it's still in an adjustment phase but this month's changes aren't promising.
      Lot of strange movements. How is Timo even number 1 Matt?

    10. Top | #8
      ttmonster is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike, Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8, DHS Hurricane 3 Provinicial, Karis H
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P , Xiom Omega Pro IV, Karis M

      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      3,265
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 3,891 Times in 1,962 Posts
      Agreed and also I think the players need to adjust their playing schedule accordingly , I guess it will take at least 3 years to stabilize ... if the points work in the same fashion it does in tennis
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hetherington View Post
      I think this month's world ranking releases have only increased the uncertainties and lack of confidence people have in the potential for the system's future. As points expire and are replaced this system is going to constantly be in motion I think and I believe that reduces its potential to be accurate in comparing the level of players. Again it's still in an adjustment phase but this month's changes aren't promising.

    11. Top | #9
      rainneverever is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: China


      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      887
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,791 Times in 586 Posts
      Timo posted on his Facebook what he thought about back to the top. Did Dima check our forum lol

      Als Dima vor wenigen Tagen zu mir kam und meinte, ich sei im März wieder die Nummer 1 der Weltrangliste, glaubte ich zunächst an einen Scherz. Aber er kennt sich mit diesen Statistiken perfekt aus. Nun hat der Computer tatsächlich dieses Ergebnis ausgespuckt und ich möchte eine gewisse Freude nicht verhehlen. Es ist die Bestätigung für meine harte Arbeit der letzten Monate. Es ist auch eine Bestätigung für meine Konstanz, da ich vor 15 Jahren erstmals die Nummer 1 war und nun wenige Tage vor meinem 37. Geburtstag sicher auch die älteste Nummer 1 aller Zeiten bin.
      Ich habe schon zu Jahresbeginn meine Meinung zum neuen Weltranglisten-System deutlich gemacht. An dieser Meinung ändert sich natürlich nichts, auch wenn nun ich ganz oben stehe. Ich glaube weiterhin, dass Ma Long, Fan Zhendong oder Dimitrij Ovtcharov die Besten sind, auch wenn der Computer etwas anderes meint.
      Fakt ist: das neue System gönnt dir keine Pausen und entschuldigt keine Verletzungen. Man muss viel spielen. Das habe ich die letzten zwölf Monaten getan und bin von Verletzungen verschont geblieben, weshalb mir das neue System nun zugutekam. Allerdings sehe ich es dennoch kritisch, dass Vielspieler so extrem belohnt werden und Vereinsspieler mit vielen Terminen abseits der internationalen Tour dadurch benachteiligt sind.

      in English:

      When Dima came to me a few days ago and said I was again number 1 in the world rankings in March, I believed in a joke first But He's perfectly familiar with these statistics. Now the computer has actually spit out this result, and I do not want to hide a certain It's the confirmation of my hard work in recent months. It is also a confirmation for my constancy, since I was first number 1 15 years ago and now I'm sure a few days before my 37. th birthday is also the oldest.

      I made my opinion on the new open system at the beginning of the year. Of course, there is no change in this opinion, even though I am at the top I still believe that ma long, fan zhen dong or dimitrij ovtcharov are the best, even if the computer means something else.

      The fact is, the new system doesn't give you any breaks and don't apologize You have to play a lot. I have done this for the last months and I have been spared injuries, which is why the new system is now However, I still consider it critical that they will be rewarded so extreme and vereinsspieler with many dates off the international tour

    12. The Following User Likes rainneverever's Post:

      ILoveTT (02-28-2018)

    13. Top | #10
      Matt Hetherington is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Verified Pro Coach
      Moderator Country: New Zealand
      Matt Hetherington's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Senso Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy05
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy05

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      New Zealand
      Posts
      2,374
      Reviews
      Read 12 Reviews
      Liked 980 Times in 367 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by TTHopeful View Post
      Lot of strange movements. How is Timo even number 1 Matt?
      It's to do with point stockpiles and expiry, players don't lose points, but only their top 8 results will count and points from events will 'expire'. I believe in the case of Ma Long that despite him gaining points at the World Team Cup, it was less points than he lost when his 2017 Qatar Open points expired. Something along these lines, that's why he moved down. Somebody explained it in another thread a day or 2 ago, they had calculated it before the release.

    14. Top | #11
      TT Guru is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: New Zealand
      TT Guru's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Ma Lin Carbon Soft
      Forehand Rubber Rakza 7
      Backhand Rubber Rakza 7

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Singapore
      Posts
      200
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Sali View Post
      Wonder how it is possible that steger advanced 12 places not attending world cup.
      Steger reached the quarterfinals of European Top 16 Cup, earning 1260 points. Before this he had only 7 results, which means he retained the full 1260 points. Also, many players went down due to points expiring from 2017 Qatar Open, a Platinum event on the World Tour. They have the chance to win these again at the 2018 Qatar open in March. This highlights the importance of attending 8+ events within a 12-month period.

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steger.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	15605

    15. The Following User Likes TT Guru's Post:

      Matt Hetherington (02-28-2018)

    16. Top | #12
      rainneverever is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: China


      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      887
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,791 Times in 586 Posts
      Many players played 8+ tournaments a year but not all of them are eligible for ranking. Only one continental event result is eligible, while most top players play continental Cup /Championships singles and team events in the past year. Apparently these are separate events and top players have the duty to fight for their national team in team event although they will not get any ranking points.

    17. Top | #13
      Loopadoop is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler carbon
      Forehand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
      Backhand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Podunk TT City
      Posts
      304
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 120 Times in 92 Posts
      The ranking system shows who is the best on the ITTF world tour , does not reflect other events.

      I like the new ranking system, promotes the world tour.

    18. Top | #14
      Sali is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Poland

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro fibercomp 2
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution ELP
      Backhand Rubber Hellfire Spezial

      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      976
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 356 Times in 257 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by TT Guru View Post
      Steger reached the quarterfinals of European Top 16 Cup, earning 1260 points. Before this he had only 7 results, which means he retained the full 1260 points. Also, many players went down due to points expiring from 2017 Qatar Open, a Platinum event on the World Tour. They have the chance to win these again at the 2018 Qatar open in March. This highlights the importance of attending 8+ events within a 12-month period.

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steger.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	15605
      thanks a lot now I got it how it works.

    19. Top | #15
      ILoveTT is offline
      says Japan to win World Team Cup!
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: UK
      ILoveTT's Avatar

      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      201
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 77 Times in 55 Posts
      When did Timo first become number 1? Timo could be the player with the biggest age gap between his ages, to be number 1 from when he was young to the age he is now, 36?

    20. Top | #16
      Askan is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Germany
      Askan's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      34
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
      i just dislike the system. quite similar to what timo stated.

    21. Top | #17
      rainneverever is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: China


      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      887
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,791 Times in 586 Posts
      First time Jan 2003.

      https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/for...ng-1-at-age-37

      I list some records.
      Since 1991, ITTF employed computerized world ranking. Here are some records of WR#1.
      The youngest WR#1 is Kong Linghui, who was 20 years and 3 months old when he first became WR#1 in Jan 1996.
      The eldest WR#1 used to be Werner Schlager and now is Timo Boll. Werner Schlager was 30 years and 9 months old when he first became WR#1 in Jun 2003.
      The shorest WR#1 holder is Werner Schlager, for 1 month.
      The longest WR#1 holder is Ma Long, for 64 months in total and 34 months in a row.
      The longest time to return to WR#1 is 7 years and 4 months (2003/9-2011/1), for Timo Boll.


      Quote Originally Posted by ILoveTT View Post
      When did Timo first become number 1? Timo could be the player with the biggest age gap between his ages, to be number 1 from when he was young to the age he is now, 36?

    22. The Following 3 Users Like rainneverever's Post:

      akoozab (02-28-2018),Atas Newton (02-28-2018),TT4Life (02-28-2018)

    23. Top | #18
      rainneverever is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: China


      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      887
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,791 Times in 586 Posts
      ITTF cannot wait to announce that FZD will become WR#1 in April 2018.
      https://www.ittf.com/2018/03/11/fan-...s-top-billing/

      However, is that the case without knowing the results of 2018 German Open later this month?

      With 2250 winner points of 2018 Qatar Open to replace 1350 R16 points of 2017 China Open, FZD now has 16545 ranking points. His worst result now is 1620 runner-up points of 2017 Swedish Open. If he cannot reach SF in 2018 German Open, 16545 will be his April ranking points. He will be able to replace that 1620 if he gets better results, SF (1800)/runner-up (2025)/winner (2250), and his April ranking points will be 16725/16950/17175, respectively.

      Timo Boll ended up R16 at 2018 Qatar Open, 1350 points cannot replace his worst result by now, 1620 runner-up points of 2017 Czech Open. Even if Timo won 2018 German Open (2250), his April ranking points would be 16335, lower than FZD's. It is for sure that Timo will not be WR#1 next month.

      However, Dima should not be out of sight, whose worst result is 900 of 2018 WTC. If Dima won 2018 German Open (2250), his April ranking points would be 16815, higher than FZD's 16725 even if he got SF. It is less likely to happen but it is not 0 chance. It woud be 0 chance if Dima withdrew 2018 German Open, say due to injury.

      What ITTF news suggests is that (1) ITTF knows that Dima will not play German Open without official announcement or (2) ITTF does not know how new ranking system works. What do you think? @TT Guru

    24. The Following User Likes rainneverever's Post:

      Atas Newton (03-12-2018)

    25. Top | #19
      Sali is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Poland

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro fibercomp 2
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution ELP
      Backhand Rubber Hellfire Spezial

      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Posts
      976
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 356 Times in 257 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by rainneverever View Post
      ITTF cannot wait to announce that FZD will become WR#1 in April 2018.
      https://www.ittf.com/2018/03/11/fan-...s-top-billing/

      However, is that the case without knowing the results of 2018 German Open later this month?

      With 2250 winner points of 2018 Qatar Open to replace 1350 R16 points of 2017 China Open, FZD now has 16545 ranking points. His worst result now is 1620 runner-up points of 2017 Swedish Open. If he cannot reach SF in 2018 German Open, 16545 will be his April ranking points. He will be able to replace that 1620 if he gets better results, SF (1800)/runner-up (2025)/winner (2250), and his April ranking points will be 16725/16950/17175, respectively.

      Timo Boll ended up R16 at 2018 Qatar Open, 1350 points cannot replace his worst result by now, 1620 runner-up points of 2017 Czech Open. Even if Timo won 2018 German Open (2250), his April ranking points would be 16335, lower than FZD's. It is for sure that Timo will not be WR#1 next month.

      However, Dima should not be out of sight, whose worst result is 900 of 2018 WTC. If Dima won 2018 German Open (2250), his April ranking points would be 16815, higher than FZD's 16725 even if he got SF. It is less likely to happen but it is not 0 chance. It woud be 0 chance if Dima withdrew 2018 German Open, say due to injury.

      What ITTF news suggests is that (1) ITTF knows that Dima will not play German Open without official announcement or (2) ITTF does not know how new ranking system works. What do you think? @TT Guru
      Maybe it is just probability??? Of course ITTF should not announce it before (FZD can be injured and do not participate German Open). Still as you wrote probability is high. I think semis is maximum what dima can reach and for FZD in his current form it is minimum. I do not think he can loose to anybody besides ma long, still for now I would say between them to FZD 60% and Ma Long 40%

    26. Top | #20
      rainneverever is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: China


      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      887
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,791 Times in 586 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Sali View Post
      Maybe it is just probability??? Of course ITTF should not announce it before (FZD can be injured and do not participate German Open). Still as you wrote probability is high. I think semis is maximum what dima can reach and for FZD in his current form it is minimum. I do not think he can loose to anybody besides ma long, still for now I would say between them to FZD 60% and Ma Long 40%
      Previously, when ITTF wrote articles to predict what results will give which player what ranking, all scenarios were listed. This time, it sounds like ITTF knows for sure. If FZD withdrew 2018 German Open, Dima would be higher than FZD (16545) if he ended up runner-up (16590). It really depends on the draw. If all CNT players are drawn into one half, it is not mission impossible that Dima can reach final.
      I guess ITTF knows that Dima would not play. Otherwise, it sounds really stupid that ITTF cannot calculate new WR correct.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP