Blackmun resigns in disgrace, USOC in shambles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
US Olympic Committee chair Blackmun has resigned in the middle of the investigation into his role and responsibility for the 270 rapes committed under his watch by Michigan State and USA Gymnastics rapist/Doctor Nassar, who has been sent to prison for several life terms. Blackmun covered up the rapes for years, despite the reports from victims as did the president of Michigan State, the Lansing Police Department, and many others. The role of the East Lansing Catholic Church where Nassar taught bible classes to children and had been certified how to recognize and prevent child abuse has yet to be determined. Let us hope that the Catholic Church program was not the model for the Olympic Committee's Safesport Program, now being implemented by USATT!
https://www.safesport.org
At least a massive amount of education and prevention work is being done in all the sports under the Olympic umbrella.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Good start but many others need to resign also. The entire thing neexs to be rebuilt. And the NCAA too.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What a surprise !!! Totally shocked by this turn of developments... NOT.

The whole operation needs to "be burned to the ground" as Americans would say and rebuilt new and true.

Someone knows "where all the bones are buried" as Americans would say... maybe the regime needed more time to hide/expend/launder the cash.... or solidify their futures before stepping down.

Funny as FUDGE that the USOC literally forced reorganization/processes in USATT years ago and it is more corrupt or faulty than USATT.

If this was a pro sports organization, the board would have fired the CEO for the historically poor performance of this recently concluded olympics whether he was directly responsible or not... he was accountable whatever meaning you want to put on that.

Bayern Munich woulda fired him way before this. The ticket and merchandise buyers (and networks) hugely influence things to make sure the product is clean/successful.

Obviously, USOC is more like a communist political system than a business operation working for and quickly responsive/attentive to the taxpayer. Who knows what department of our government USOC falls under? I bet the president and congress in their annual tug of war (BUDGET PROCESS) that is SUPPOSED to be completed by OCT 1 each year. Is the appropriation ONE YEAR Operations Appropriation or non-expiring funds?

The American taxpayer should be able to have a lot more influence than it has. As it is, it takes an INTERNATIONAL LEVEL SCANDAL just to take a few tiny steps.

I bet you this, if the Office of Budget Management (works for president) went in 100 strong with an audit team to do an audit on the finances and supporting documents required by US law, that team could clean house faster than tornado. I bet you lunch in NYC the ones in management positions would be shittin' bricks more over that than some lawyers asking questions about M.S.

You get found of misappropriating funds or violating the Anti-Deficiency Act... potential punishment could be significant. Not like we got a long history of convicting people over that stuff (usually results in them resigning before the hammer comes down), but I bet the threat of a REAL audit that has teeth would get a whole pile of people to decide it is time to retire and address their health.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
The sickness abounds:
https://amp.thedailybeast.com/rick-...six-girls-wife-bullied-victims-lawsuit-claims
New lessons needed:
new lessons needed.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
...explain to me how this relates to table tennis.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
The reason is long and complicated. If you want me to compile the main reasons, I will, but it will take a while. You might want to read up on the current issues around gymnastics, volleyball, swimming, football, youth hockey, and others, and the large national debate on Safesport, and the numerous points raised here on the forum by Der Echte, Baal, and about 15 others. Do you realize it is is such a related and serious issue that the US Olympic Committee has mandated the Safesport program in USATTT and is auditing its implementation, under threat of shutting down USATT if does not comply (their first audit has found USATT nicely on schedule for getting all the coaches and staff into the Safesport training program).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, I know Der likes to ramble about a lot of subjects.

I know Baal cares about things like how Nasser finally is getting what he deserves. And that many others deserve to face judgement.

I would agree with that. But something that has 4 degrees of separation from USATT policy (Blackmun->USOC->Safesport->USATT) when USATT policy sometimes has 2 or more degrees of separation from actual TT, still doesn’t really explain to me how Blackmun has to do with TT.

So, you responding to NextLevel the way you did, at least in my opinion, is kind of out of line.

Even if I still think this is fair subject matter for the TTDaily forum. It is at best a creative leap of interpretation that connects it to our sport.

So, can you show me objective, fact based information on how, an official from the USATT has been party to the process of enabling a sports doctor who works with USATT youth to escape scrutiny from the law for molesting up and coming table tennis talent? Is there any evidence that something like that is going on within the USATT? Are there any parties whose resignation you are calling for?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, I know Der likes to ramble about a lot of subjects.

I know Baal cares about things like how Nasser finally is getting what he deserves. And that many others deserve to face judgement.

I would agree with that. But something that has 4 degrees of separation from USATT policy (Blackmun->USOC->Safesport->USATT) when USATT policy sometimes has 2 or more degrees of separation from actual TT, still doesn’t really explain to me how Blackmun has to do with TT.

So, you responding to NextLevel the way you did, at least in my opinion, is kind of out of line.

Even if I still think this is fair subject matter for the TTDaily forum. It is at best a creative leap of interpretation that connects it to our sport.

So, can you show me objective, fact based information on how, an official from the USATT has been party to the process of enabling a sports doctor who works with USATT youth to escape scrutiny from the law for molesting up and coming table tennis talent? Is there any evidence that something like that is going on within the USATT? Are there any parties whose resignation you are calling for?

I actually took the Safesport classes since I cannot be publicly affiliated with any USATT sanctioned club without taking them. And of course, it is quite reasonable and possible that one USATT coach that is a pedophile is out there - I know one popular coach that someone was anonymously posting allegations of stuff about a few years ago and I suspect for this reason you may not find that coach working with the USATT publicly much if any longer. But putting any old news about volleyball and other sports on this website - I gotta tell ya, I hope worker bee can do better than that.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The entire edifice of amateur sports in the US is problematic for many reasons. USATT is not very effective at building our sport but on a scale of overall evil is essentially beningn.

Most of us can read a newspaper and see that this USOC guy is stepping down. There was a great column in the Washington Post the day before he stepped down outlining many of the other problems with the IOC and the USOC. In my view the NCAA is even worse. It is long overdue to reexamine these venerable institutions which werer problematic from the start. They afe not benign. They are malignant.

I think the exploitation of athletes is a problem with many dimensions. The Larry Nassar affair is especially horrific but there are many other issues too surrounding athlete health, rights to their own images, corruption of the leadership of many sports federations and the sham of "amateuism" which has a history founded in elitism. College athletic programs are frankly bad for the majority of universities that have them.

And of course the demands IOC makes of host cities are insane. At this point it is insane to want the Olympics in your city!

So much is wrong and has been for a long time.

And while all this is true, and I share her disgust at the Nassar affair, the Michigan State authorities, the gymnastics federation, and Penn State fans still in the cult of Joe Paterno, I still find Worker Bee's posts tinged with hysteria, a trollish tendency, and mostly out of the normal scope of a TT forum. But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The entire edifice of amateur sports in the US is problematic for many reasons. USATT is not very effective at building our sport but on a scale of overall evil is essentially beningn.

Most of us can read a newspaper and see that this USOC guy is stepping down. There was a great column in the Washington Post the day before he stepped down outlining many of the other problems with the IOC and the USOC. In my view the NCAA is even worse. It is long overdue to reexamine these venerable institutions which werer problematic from the start. They afe not benign. They are malignant.

I think the exploitation of athletes is a problem with many dimensions. The Larry Nassar affair is especially horrific but there are many other issues too surrounding athlete health, rights to their own images, corruption of the leadership of many sports federations and the sham of "amateuism" which has a history founded in elitism. College athletic programs are frankly bad for the majority of universities that have them.

And of course the demands IOC makes of host cities are insane. At this point it is insane to want the Olympics in your city!

So much is wrong and has been for a long time.

And while all this is true, and I share her disgust at the Nassar affair, the Michigan State authorities, the gymnastics federation, and Penn State fans still in the cult of Joe Paterno, I still find Worker Bee's posts tinged with hysteria, a trollish tendency, and mostly out of the normal scope of a TT forum. But that is just my opinion.

As well said as it could possibly be. Thank you.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The short version is that I'm just going to ignore her posts in the future.