FH Rubber Suggestions

Hi All,
Got a new blade Hurricane Long 3 a couple of weeks ago with Xiom Vega Pro on BH and Xiom Vega Europe on FH. I love Vega Pro on BH, and liked it on FH when I tried it there.
However, Vega Europe is weird. Its a bit unpredictable, even though gives you lots of spin. Control feels horrible to me, no feeling of directness, feels like ball can all of a sudden pop up, especially in short game. Rubber feels very loopy and inconsistent. However, I've been playing with my new paddle only for about 3 weeks (15-17 hrs or so)
So I have a few options:
1. Keep playing with it for another month or two and try to get used to it.
2. Try Vega Pro on FH.
3. Try Tibhar FX-S
4. Try Tibhar FX-P
5. Try something else (don't want to go too much over $50 though), no Tenergy or H3 at this time.

My style on FH is a combination of looping and smashing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi All,
Got a new blade Hurricane Long 3 a couple of weeks ago with Xiom Vega Pro on BH and Xiom Vega Europe on FH. I love Vega Pro on BH, and liked it on FH when I tried it there.
However, Vega Europe is weird. Its a bit unpredictable, even though gives you lots of spin. Control feels horrible to me, no feeling of directness, feels like ball can all of a sudden pop up, especially in short game. Rubber feels very loopy and inconsistent. However, I've been playing with my new paddle only for about 3 weeks (15-17 hrs or so)
So I have a few options:
1. Keep playing with it for another month or two and try to get used to it.
2. Try Vega Pro on FH.
3. Try Tibhar FX-S
4. Try Tibhar FX-P
5. Try something else (don't want to go too much over $50 though), no Tenergy or H3 at this time.

My style on FH is a combination of looping and smashing.

You already do the 2, right? If you're ok with the Pro on FH, then get used to it. EJing is dangerous to your wallet .)

vega pro suits FH more than vega europe, i would recommend you to switch your vega pro to FH and train with it for couples of hours and then see how it will be good for you

I tried Pro on FH already and I liked it. Wasn't crazy about Europe on BH, so decided to try to get used to it on FH, but after about 7 hrs of play not sure I like it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
What you’re describing about the short game sounds to me like the usual complain about softer rubbers that have med-high catapult: where the sponge is soft enough to allow the catapult to sometimes kick in during the short game. (People often use the word “bouncy” to talk about that.)

If that’s the problem, there are broadly two solutions:

- a) get a harder rubber (like Vega pro; but NOT the fx-s/p).

- b) go on a hunt for more linear rubbers - rubbers that don’t have an abrupt change of behavior when the catapult is engaged. (Like Karis and Mx-s.)

I personally much prefer solution b), but it’s really not everyone’s cup of tea.

In your case why not go Vega pro on both sides?

If that’s the problem, there are broadly two solutions:

- a) get a harder rubber (like Vega pro; but NOT the fx-s/p).

- b) go on a hunt for more linear rubbers - rubbers that don’t have an abrupt change of behavior when the catapult is engaged. (Like Karis and Mx-s.)

I personally much prefer solution b), but it’s really not everyone’s cup of tea.

In your case why not go Vega pro on both sides?

I don't know... on one hand I want to do it, on the other hand same rubber on both sides doesn't sound sexy... and I think Vega Pro is not too fast, right? Anyway, will try it out tomorrow morning and then decide on whether I should get Vega Pro for FH

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
1st off, why did you decide to get two different rubbers? Was there an actually thought process? Or were you just choosing randomly?

2nd, if you chose pro and europe, what made you think the softer rubber would go on FH?

3rd, what you are actually describing, to me sounds more like you should just give yourself a few weeks to get used to the new equipment. Often when you get something new, there is an adjustment period.

Describe how you use your BH in match play.

Describe how you use your FH in match play.

Give me an idea of how long you have been playing and what you feel your general level of play is.

When someone pushes heavy backspin to your FH, can you loop it confidently?

When someone pushes heavy backspin to your BH, can you loop it confidently?

In general, I would say, if you don't know how your FH and BH are different, it is worth getting the same rubber. If you get two similar rubbers but one is harder, for most people, the harder rubber would be more useful on the FH. There are some exceptions. So it isn't a hard and fast rule. But generally, that works better than the softer rubber being on the wing with the larger more powerful stroke.

1st off, why did you decide to get two different rubbers? Was there an actually thought process? Or were you just choosing randomly?
My BH is pretty good, so I was looking for something with good control and decent speed that would help me open up on opp serve. My FH needs work and developing, but in general its not bad either, so I was looking for something with combination of spin and decent speed. However, I did not expect this rubber to be so loopy. It feels like I am looping more than smashing. Spin it gives is great though, but control I don't like, especially FH short game. Again, totally allow that it is my technique. However, when practicing with decent players I asked if my strokes are good, and they said its not bad at all. Going to record myself next week to check.

2nd, if you chose pro and europe, what made you think the softer rubber would go on FH?

Inexperience :) I went by reviews and descriptions.

3rd, what you are actually describing, to me sounds more like you should just give yourself a few weeks to get used to the new equipment. Often when you get something new, there is an adjustment period.

Describe how you use your BH in match play.

Describe how you use your FH in match play.

Give me an idea of how long you have been playing and what you feel your general level of play is.

When someone pushes heavy backspin to your FH, can you loop it confidently?

When someone pushes heavy backspin to your BH, can you loop it confidently?

I've said the same thing before: I might need more time. However, Europe on FH feels weird.

As far as my style in general, BH or FH, if anything, I am too aggressive in matches. No fear of loosing in general, trying to win every point quickly if possible, trying to get into topspin exchanges where I feel I have a bit of an edge. My play against heavy backspin improved quite a lot in the last few weeks. Plenty of unforced errors due to being too aggressive sometimes.

FH style: I like to loop and smash. Probably Smash and loop would be more accurate. If forced to defend, my block is active, but probably is not active enough on FH. My FH chop is ok with Pro, not as good with Europe. Again, maybe adjustment period needed.

BH I like to flick and open up. I am fine with pushing to set up BH attack, I am not bad at it and I am getting more and more consistent. I am absolutely fine going backspin to backspin on BH. However, with Pro it is consistent, with Europe it sucks now and goes in the net quite a lot. Quite a few decent players complimented me on my BH, so I think it might be better than my FH, but I am NOT a BH dominant player.

Heavy backspin to loop I am more confident and consistent with FH than BH, but not consistent enough and working on it. Improving fairly fast though.

Heavy backspin to BH flick is fairly good, deep is not consistent enough.

That is my quick assessment of myself :)

I've had a very long break from TT until starting doing it regularly and somewhat seriously again about 3 months ago. The reason I say "somewhat seriously" is because I do not have a coach as it is too expensive. Looking for one however.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Some are adepts of thinner sponge (yogi), some like it only in max (carl).
So you need to decide by yourself. :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What I would say is, play with it with the Vega Europe on BH for a week. If you really don't get used to it, just get one more Vega Pro so you have it on both sides.

The comfort pushing with the softer rubber, the touch with it, should come. But it it doesn't, just get pro for the BH.

I would also say that you should think about switching your thought process to develop the skill to loop everything. Ultimately, that will get you to a higher level. Hitting flatter gets riskier and riskier as you face players who are higher level because they will be better at limiting your ability to make those shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I'm using the Hurricane Long 3 blade with H3 on FH and Xiom elite 1.8 on the backhand.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

So played for about 3 hrs today, switched and tried both sides... Pro feels a lot more comfortable still and has a lot more control on both sides when it comes to placement and blocking.
I think I am starting to get used to Europe on FH, looping got easier, but placing loops on the side closer to the net is problematic.
However, one thing I figured out today after playing and observing one guy is that I have massive technical problems that I have to fix with my FH. That guy was like a machine on his FH, super consistent stroke starting fairly low. I think I am fairly far away. BH I think I could take him though :)

I've decided to continue playing with Europe on FH for another couple of weeks. Then it is going to be either MX-P, MX-S or Vega Pro if I still don't like Europe