German National Championships 2018

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
From today 2nd March 2018 until Sunday the 4th March 2018 the 86th German National Championships have commenced in Berlin.
Unfortunately Dima and Peti Solja plus a few others are missing. Last year´s womens champion Kristin Lang (formerly Silbereisen) and Shan Xiaona won´t be attending due to pregnancy.
So this will the chance for the upcomers like Benedikt Duda, Bastian Steger, Ruwen Filus and Ricardo Walther

Top seeds are
male: Timo Boll
female: Han Ying

Sportdeutschland.TV are broadcasting via Livestream but I am not allowed to post html codes, otherwise I would have implemented their stream player
But you can find the stream here:
http://www.tischtennis.de/news/deutsche-meisterschaften-hier-im-livestream-verfolgen.html

For those at work there also is a live-ticker kindly provided by Germany´s biggest Tabletennis forum tt-news.de
The ticker can be found here:
http://liveticker.tt-news.de/user_turnier/live.php?sprache=de

If you change the ending of the link from "de" to "en"you can change the language to english

boll_22_10_17.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgIm_Tanja_Hofmann2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: akoozab and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
In a nailbiting quarterfinal match Timo won 11:9 In the decider vs Qiu Dang.
Patrick Franziska kicked out Benedikt Duda by 4:0.
Whereas Ruwen Filus surprisingly lost by 3:4 against Kilian Ort.
Bastian Steger dominated Ricardo Walther by 4:1.

The Semis will be as the following:

Timo Boll vs Patrick Franziska
Bastian Steger vs Kilian Ort

The women's semifinals will be:

Han Ying vs Wan Yuan
Tanja Krämer vs Sabine Winter

Women's Doubles:

T. Krämer/J. Göbel vs L. Säger/J. Wolf
Huong Do Thi/Sabine Winter vs A. Lemmer/Wan Yuan

Men's Doubles:

R. Walther/R. Filus vs E. Botroff/ L. Wehking
J. Mohr/J. Schabacker vs B. Duda/Qiu Dang

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Timo Boll vs Patrick Franziska (1/2 Final)

Thanks TTLondon2012 for this beautiful highlight-vid. So many amazing rallies.
Patrick has played really really well. He won the second game a bit lucky with an edgeball but gave Timo quite a challenge. After losing the third game as well Timo seemed to switch gears and showed his class.
Meanwhile Kilian Ort caused another major upset by now beating Bastian Steger by 4:2 after having yesterday beaten Ruwen Filus.

Han Ying dominated the first women's semis by beating Wan Yuan 4:0
In the second semifinal the girl from my hometown Tanja Krämer managed to beat Sabine Winter 4:3. 11:9 was the score in the decider.
Sabine was leading in the decider up to 8:8 but then Tanja stole the lead and brought it home.

Here are the results:
Timo Boll 4:2 Patrick Franziska
Bastian Steger 2:4 Kilian Ort

Han Ying 4:0 Wan Yuan
Sabine Winter 3:4 Tanja Krämer

J.Goebel/T.Krämer 3:2 L.Säger/J.Wolf
H.Do Thi/S.Winter 3:1 A.Lemmer/Y.Wan

R.Filus/R.Walther 3:0 E.Bottroff/L.Wehking

J.Mohr/J.Schabacker 0:3 B.Duda/D.Qiu

So the finals are:
Timo Boll vs Kilian Ort
Han Ying vs Tanja Krämer

R.Filus/R.Walther vs B.Duda/D.Qiu
J.Goebel/T.Krämer vs S.Winter/H.Do Thi

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Kilian Ort never quite got into it, but still well worth the watch. Funny, Ort kind of looked like a rightie Rosskopf in his movement, body mechanics every now and then. I guess that’s quite a compliment.

He is not on the first national team, could have been his first or second time seriously playing Boll in his life. And Boll is not the kind of player you like to learn to play in your first national championship final. He would likely have played a little better on a less bright stage.

And yes, I agree his technique is very German (if you know what I mean with the bent elbow and wrist movements, kinda similar to the French).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018
Tanja Krämer - Sabine Winter 4:3 (9,-4,7,6,-9,-3,9)

Thank you, but where did you see this information?

I have not see any link or links about this game or this bundelisga women championship in the net.

I would like to see next time final results following the links containing those games.

Thank you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
German youth nationals

In the German Youth Nationals Yuki and Ayumu Tsutsui, two daughters of a friended player from a neighbour town, knocked out the number 1 doubles seeds.

In the male juniors event Fan Bo Meng played Cedric Meissner in the finals in a bare lefties match.

but the semis Fan Bo Meng against Benno Oehme was also nice to watch

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In the German Youth Nationals Yuki and Ayumu Tsutsui, two daughters of a friended player from a neighbour town, knocked out the number 1 doubles seeds.

In the male juniors event Fan Bo Meng played Cedric Meissner in the finals in a bare lefties match.

but the semis Fan Bo Meng against Benno Oehme was also nice to watch

Fun matches to watch.

The male juniors final, it is filmed at an angle that would have been good for righties. But not so good for lefties. But the match is a fun match to watch. Meissner's style of play is nasty. I love how he plays.

But the simi match is definitely worth checking out.

And the girls are a pretty amazing team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Fun matches to watch.

The male juniors final, it is filmed at an angle that would have been good for righties. But not so good for lefties. But the match is a fun match to watch. Meissner's style of play is nasty. I love how he plays.

But the simi match is definitely worth checking out.

And the girls are a pretty amazing team.

Thanks Buddy,

I guess you're right. Could be that the guys who filmed this got so excited over the match that they didn't think of the angle.
[Emoji2]
But i really like these dudes.
You should check out their YouTube channel.

They do a really good (and IMHO important) job by covering many events that are uncovered by ITTF or Sportdeutschland.tv
From youth tournaments to second, third and fourth league matches to fun events like Headis and sandpaper Ping Pong. These guys are everywhere.

You're right on Meissner as well.
He looks quite promising. We would have to wait and see how well he adapts to the seniors' game.
But Fan Bo Meng also is looking pretty promising. Actually he was No.1 seed but seemed to didn't have a good day. Usually he moves better and quicker. The match before (semis) against Oehme might have been too taxing.
Oehme ripped some real nasty backhand shots I didn't expect.

Amazing.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Buddy,

I guess you're right. Could be that the guys who filmed this got so excited over the match that they didn't think of the angle.
[Emoji2]
But i really like these dudes.
You should check out their YouTube channel.

They do a really good (and IMHO important) job by covering many events that are uncovered by ITTF or Sportdeutschland.tv
From youth tournaments to second, third and fourth league matches to fun events like Headis and sandpaper Ping Pong. These guys are everywhere.

You're right on Meissner as well.
He looks quite promising. We would have to wait and see how well he adapts to the seniors' game.
But Fan Bo Meng also is looking pretty promising. Actually he was No.1 seed but seemed to didn't have a good day. Usually he moves better and quicker. The match before (semis) against Oehme might have been too taxing.
Oehme ripped some real nasty backhand shots I didn't expect.

Amazing.

Filming: My guess was, they were situated perfectly for a righty vs righty match and I bet most of the matches fit that bill. And it was a fine angle for the semi matches. But once it was lefty lefty, they may have been stuck where they were.

These guys are all really good players. Meng has some nasty FH, off the bounce, down the line shots vs balls that looked like they could have been outright winners. And he seemed able to absorb the opponent's attacks soooo well. But I loved how direct Meissner's approach is. And how clean. Fun to watch.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I also enjoyed it and I was somewhat surprised about the level of play, i.e. the aggressive approach of these players. The style of play certainly looks very "up to date". By the way, Cedric plays for TuS Celle. Coincidentally, my coach mentioned during our first session a few weeks ago, that one of the clubs in Germany that does a really good job in developing young players is TuS Celle. They likely have more good players lined up aside from Cedric...
Furthermore: The rating of Cedric is close to 2200, which is about 2500 USATT, no? I wonder how he (and Fan Bo) would fare against some of the better players in the US, for example Kai Zhang, who recently won the NCTTA championship and who, I believe, has a USATT rating of about 2600. It would be an interesting and exciting match for sure...

Last edited: