This user has no status.
Oct 2016
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great job Giangt!

(For real "larger" resolution go to the source: https://www.facebook.com/307891739609779/photos/pcb.517077645357853/517077602024524/?type=3&theater

December 2017 and poster in the background means World Tour finals in Astana?)

:)

Image captures from the DHS facebook page that JST linked to:

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.18.44 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 9.19.39 AM.jpg

All you have to do is follow the link JST gave and you will see these photos of FZD's blade. At least, that is what DHS's facebook page says they are. :) And the images on the FB page are much better quality than my screen grabs are.

Anyone know if that is an ITTF rep examining the blade before a tournament? :)

But what convinced me when I thought it was crazy that a pro player would take a sponsorship and say he played with one blade from one company and actually play with such a different blade from the company's rival was this: I know a guy who plays some international tournaments. He isn't great. But he knows all the top players. He knows FZD and a few years ago, he assured me that FZD was not playing with an all wood blade and that it was a Viscaria. That combined with someone on this forum saying the same basic thing (that he knew people who knew FZD and that it was a Viscaria) is what convinced me.

Now you may not know this guy. But there really is so much evidence that FZD is using a Viscaria that I truthfully don't feel I need to think about this issue. And I am not really so concerned when someone else doesn't believe it.

One other thing that is worth noting. When FZD breaks a blade and does not have a backup with the Stiga handle ready, which has happened in a few tournaments, the blade he always uses is a Viscaria with a Viscaria handle. :)

But it is entertaining how people who don't know and don't know they don't know like to argue about this. Unless FZD really changes what he is playing, he has been using a Viscaria since he was a junior.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
:)

One other thing that is worth noting. When FZD breaks a blade and does not have a backup with the Stiga handle ready, which has happened in a few tournaments, the blade he always uses is a Viscaria with a Viscaria handle. :)

But it is entertaining how people who don't know and don't know they don't know like to argue about this. Unless FZD really changes what he is playing, he has been using a Viscaria since he was a junior.

For example in 2015 at the China Open where he played his backup Viscaria with the (actual) Viscaria handle... https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?14705-Fan-ZHendong´s-backhand-rubber

At that time he was already under contract with Stiga, so...

FZD did however experiement with Fang Bo's blade (most likely the rip off of the Ma Long 5/ W 968) sometime in 2017 for a few weeks (German Open and I believe some other tournament, maybe Sewdish Open? https://www.google.com/search?clien...i30i19j0i30.wzXOnOcyzEk#imgrc=PR80IMAwAGvIZM:), but eventually went back to his usual blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Just browsing some sites and saw this. Fan Zhendong using a all wood stiga blade at the World Team Cup last week.

These are the pictures taken from the match koki niwa and fzd.

FZD bat

View attachment 15644

Koki Niwa bat

View attachment 15643

Is FZD actually using the infinity here?

no! this is for sure, he is using viscaria with a vps handle on it, in china we call it shemale blade. once he damaged his vps in a game, he pulled out a viscaria and keep playing. that would not make any sense if he actually use vps as the blade of choice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I wonder why Chinese player use Viscaria at all.
I always hear the fairy tale of Chinese full swing motion needs a allwood limba blade to work well.
Maybe someone could help me in this regard because I also do have a long swing technique and hat alot of trouble with MLEO, disliking the quick release of the ball out of the bat but Limba is working for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Are you asking why world class players can use Viscaria efficiently and you can't?

I always hear the fairy tale of Chinese full swing motion needs a allwood limba blade to work well.
Maybe someone could help me in this regard because I also do have a long swing technique and hat alot of trouble with MLEO, disliking the quick release of the ball out of the bat but Limba is working for me.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Just gonna leave it here, From the FAN Zhendong vs WANG Chuqin game today:
https://tv.ittf.com/video/fan-zhendong-wang-chuqin/1438701

That's really cool, pretty much puts it all to bed I would say. Thanks for pulling this out!

Just to be a real nit-picker, the only doubt would be that sometimes VT editors will use sections from earlier as filler, so the footage at 36:52 could be another shot of WCQ's Viscaria from earlier in the match. It's a shame you can't see the handle there. But that's just playing devil's advocate and it's more than enough IMO.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

Well, the widely accepted "belief" is that Chinese tacky rubber, not the full swing, works best with all-wood blades. It all started around the 80s. The legendary Avalox P500(for looping) and P700(for fast-attack) were designed in collaboration with the CNT with that in mind.

The ALC structure is now believed to be the closest next among all the composites for tacky rubber and offers the best compromise b/w FH and BH after ZJK achieved Grand Slam. But contrary to popular opinions, the Viscaria has actually had a following in China long before ZJK came to prominence.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
That's really cool, pretty much puts it all to bed I would say. Thanks for pulling this out!

Just to be a real nit-picker, the only doubt would be that sometimes VT editors will use sections from earlier as filler, so the footage at 36:52 could be another shot of WCQ's Viscaria from earlier in the match. It's a shame you can't see the handle there. But that's just playing devil's advocate and it's more than enough IMO.

Yeah, It's a shame we cannot see the handle, but that's one of the reasons I put LGY's Viscaria there as well. We can see that LGY cuts his rubbers fit to the blade, while FZD leaves it with some extra millimeters ;)

Reactions: AndySmith
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I hope this is not too much off-topic.

How come all the younger Chinese players are still using the older Viscaria handle and not the current one.

Hasn't it been a few years since the new Viscaria handle has been introduced? Does anybody know?

Do the CNT have a large storage of older Viscarias? Or are they really still using the same blade for quite some time?

This user has no status.
I hope this is not too much off-topic.

How come all the younger Chinese players are still using the older Viscaria handle and not the current one.

Hasn't it been a few years since the new Viscaria handle has been introduced? Does anybody know?

Do the CNT have a large storage of older Viscarias? Or are they really still using the same blade for quite some time?

WCQ has the older Viscaria, yes. However LGY is using a new one, isn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk