Fan Zhendong using all wood blade at the World Team Cup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I hope this is not too much off-topic.

How come all the younger Chinese players are still using the older Viscaria handle and not the current one.

Hasn't it been a few years since the new Viscaria handle has been introduced? Does anybody know?

Do the CNT have a large storage of older Viscarias? Or are they really still using the same blade for quite some time?

They are probably using new Viscarias with the old handle. Just to practice changing handles for when they get an endorsement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
WCQ has the older Viscaria, yes. However LGY is using a new one, isn’t he?

I've never seen a pro Chinese player using the new design handle, that's what I find interesting.

And LGY is using a custom handle without the plastic lens like LSW:

1.jpg

2.jpg

They are probably using new Viscarias with the old handle. Just to practice changing handles for when they get an endorsement.

Hmm, why would they go though all that trouble of replacing the handle? What's the benefit here compared to the risk of damaging or dampening the feel by using too little or too much glue?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Ah, good point.

So, what's the story about the missing lens from LGY's handle then?
That's likely the custom build of Viscaria. Back when anyone could make a custom order on the Butterfly Japan site, all the custom blades came with no lens on the handle and no print on the blade head.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hey thanks to your reply.
While tacky rubber is linked to full swing I guess the quintessence about limba and Chinese technique isn't as clear as i always thought.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I guess that's why he's playing better.

Maybe. But for him I think it is more important that he can play on a high level again, no matter what blade he uses. He was injured for quite some time and struggled a bit to get into decent shape (didn't he have surgery on his back or hip?). But he moved pretty well against FZD.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I don't follow his career with much attention, but i really liked his game against Dyjas.

He is also not one of my favorite players. I just don't like his attitude/ behaviour (and Simon Gauzy probably dislikes it even more ;););)). But speaking of Dyjas and red colored plies: Jakub plays his Donic signature blade which happens to be a Clipper clone including the two red dyed plies...strange coincidence considering the conversation we were having.