What is really up with Tomo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Here is a 3-4-18 article from Sina news in China, an online group partly from Alibaba and Weibo. Sorry for the translation (Google).

http://k.sina.com.cn/article_114176...r_spt&loc=40&r=9&doct=0&rfunc=90&tj=none&tr=9

Zhang Ben Gang said Fan Zhendong gold to beat, Japanese table tennis refused to singles, his father was also dismissed

Chinese player Zhang Benzhi and currently as the main force of Japan's ping-pong team rarely rival in Japan, is Japan's first choice for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games singles players. Not long ago, Zhang Benzhi and was canceled singles qualifications, his father Zhang Yu has also been dismissed, just experienced the World Championships defeat of genius suffered in the end what? Take a look at these reasons to understand

Zhang Benzhi and parents are table tennis players, the mother Zhang Ling has been selected national team. And Deng Yaping participated in the 1995 World Championships, but due to play disorders, poor grades, gradually fade out of the national team. After Zhang Ling retired with Zhang Yu came to Japan to engage in the work of table tennis coach, gave birth to Zhang benzhi and Sendai. In 2011, Zhang Benzhi and his father and sister joined the Japanese nationality. Zhang Benzhi and table tennis talent at a very young age manifested itself in 2016, 13-year-old Zhang Benzhi and Japan won the World Youth Table Tennis Championships men's singles champion, became the youngest ever World Championship winner . December 2017 Won the 2017 ITTF "Breakthrough Nova". In Japan, Zhang Benzhi and is already the absolute table tennis dominance, no one can stand shoulder to shoulder with it.

Although Zhang Benzhi and repeatedly publicly claimed to defeat the Chinese team, Japan won the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games champion. However, Japan's domestic table tennis conservatives do not buy it because he is a planner. It is not a real Japanese. Moreover, Zhang Benzhi and dignified pride, insolent character is not acceptable. The Japanese most disgusted that he shouted in the game, that is totally rude behavior. In particular, the unwarranted and arrogant performance of Zhang Benzhi and defeat of Japan's brother Keiryu, it is also caused great resentment of the fans! Domestic fans demanded the cancellation of Zhang Benzhi and Tokyo Olympic Games qualifications; some fans simply voice, let him go back to China. In January of this year, the Japanese table tennis association banned Zhang Benzhi and shouting during the competition.

Zhangbenzhi and Fan Zhendong's matchup at the World Championships is considered a rehearsal for the men's singles at the Tokyo Winter Olympics. Without his father's guidance, Zhang Benzhi seems to have lost his touch. By Fan Zhendong to 3-0 swept.

Undeniably, Zhang Benzhi and have a high table tennis talent. Its strength even in China's domestic players also belong to the level of first-class players, the court has never been the king forever. Although Japan and Japan won the championship, Zhang Benzhi, however, lost less than he won and did not dominate the race with Chinese players. Japan's Table Tennis Association is also well aware of this point, but at present there is no better player than Zhang, under pressure to enable Zhang Benzhi is also a last resort. Sports competition is not a war, but a cultural exchange at the sports level. Zhang Benzhi and as a Chinese player to choose their own country, this is understandable, but if you take the Chinese team as opponents,

(Special Statement: The contents of the above articles only represent the author's own point of view, does not represent Sina point of view or position. For content, copyright or other issues, please contact the Sina within 30 days after the publication of the work.

-end-

There are many things I think the author gets very wrong. I'd love to hear what real table tennis players think about this stuff. This particular author should have read Liu Guoliang on Tomo before writing it.

Reactions: akoozab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Haven't heard about this anywhere else but if it's very sad if this is true. Harimoto was born in Japan, speak Japanese, plays for Japan and the Japanese still don't really accept him from the heart because of his Chinese origin. I don't think shouting or attitude is the real reason. He seems a nice kid although immature, he's just 14 years old anyway.
Or this news can be just China's trying to disrupt JNT's spirit?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
It's nonsense. There are tons of such self media. They are not journalists and don't have real sources. Don't waste your time to read these articles. If you want to know how Japanese think about Harimoto whose Chinese name is Zhang Zhihe (Harimoto means originated from Zhang), why not try search Japanese news?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
It's a column, and it reads like an AI-generated one. So hilarious. Anyhow, "it" focuses mainly on basketball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
where there is smoke, there is fire

it is known that Japanese does treat outsiders as outsiders and even if you go through the difficulties to become an insider....that is some times not enough

if you immigrate to Japan and want to become a Japanese citizen, you must do the following:
1) revoke your current citizenship
2) replace your birth name with a Japanese name and surname
3) then you can apply for Japanese citizenship

Reactions: mky and bobpuls
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It's nonsense. There are tons of such self media. They are not journalists and don't have real sources. Don't waste your time to read these articles. If you want to know how Japanese think about Harimoto whose Chinese name is Zhang Zhihe (Harimoto means originated from Zhang), why not try search Japanese news?

Exactly.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
where there is smoke, there is fire

it is known that Japanese does treat outsiders as outsiders and even if you go through the difficulties to become an insider....that is some times not enough

if you immigrate to Japan and want to become a Japanese citizen, you must do the following:
1) revoke your current citizenship
2) replace your birth name with a Japanese name and surname
3) then you can apply for Japanese citizenship

When there is smoke in China it does not mean there is fire in Japan. My knowledge pales in comparison to Zeio's but I have traveled a lot in both countries and am married to a Chinese person (who actually loves Japan). Anti-Japanese sentiments are VERY strong in many places in China. To the limited extent that I can make sense out of the Google translation -- if that is what it is -- I don't believe it. I think Rainever and Zeio have it right.

By the way, Japan is not the only country with requirements somewhat like that. Something rather similar is true if you want to immigrate to Iceland. You can keep your own name, but you have to give your children Icelandic names.

Not every country has a long tradition of immigration.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
When there is smoke in China it does not mean there is fire in Japan. My knowledge pales in comparison to Zeio's but I have traveled a lot in both countries and am married to a Chinese person (who actually loves Japan). Anti-Japanese sentiments are VERY strong in many places in China. To the limited extent that I can make sense out of the Google translation -- if that is what it is -- I don't believe it. I think Rainever and Zeio have it right.

By the way, Japan is not the only country with requirements somewhat like that. Something rather similar is true if you want to immigrate to Iceland. You can keep your own name, but you have to give your children Icelandic names.

Not every country has a long tradition of immigration.

I have friends that immigrated to Japan
Took them forever to fit in (few decades)
Japans immigration has been around for decades - longer than lots of country so that is not an excuse of young immigration policy, but rather a Japan only attitude.

Unfortunately Japanese has a history of looking low down to other ethnic groups as Japanese classified themselves as the superior race in Asia (similar to the whites on many ethnic groups in history)
I know not all of the newer generation think like this or act like this, but this was a big problem in Japan and recent history of my parents and grand parents days (anti sentiment didn't just come from no smoke/no fire)

So I won't be surprised that Haromoto does have it tougher than your true blooded Japanese player.
I would believe the problem is not as bad as the article may sound, but when there is smoke there is fire, so maybe there is something the public don't know about

What I am stated is that I have some experience and knowledge that such article may hold some truth.

This is similar to some people calling Lily Zhang a Chinese import, while her heart is more American than anything else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Harimoto is very good at playing table tennis is not due to the blood of Chine, is mostly due to his efforts.
He chose to be a Japanese, so I think he is much more positive Japanese than me who born in Japan with Japanese parents.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
First of all, table tennis or all sport has no racial barrier, no matter Harimoto what nationality he is, we should look at table tennis point not what nationality he is. Chinese should not be angry because he choose to be Japanese, Japanese should not say he is not real Japanese. That is not fair to this boy. Why should we give him all this rubbish, he just wants to play good table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
First of all, table tennis or all sport has no racial barrier, no matter Harimoto what nationality he is, we should look at table tennis point not what nationality he is. Chinese should not be angry because he choose to be Japanese, Japanese should not say he is not real Japanese. That is not fair to this boy. Why should we give him all this rubbish, he just wants to play good table tennis.

I agree it is not fair,
but "has no racial barrier"

tell that to all the people who has racial barriers in table tennis

Reactions: TTFrenzy
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

I agree with the spirit of this post. I want to add one thing -- AGAIN -- that children have no choice in where they are born, to whom, and where their parents chose to take them when they are too young to be on their own.

This concept is very important and simple. People who don't understand this are bad. This is true if you are in China, Japan, India, or president* of the United States.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Someone just loves to stir controversy!

I am a Vietnamese and used to have prejudice against immigrant Chinese in my old country. One time I was in a refugee camp in Malaysia and played chess with a helicopter gunman, a South Vietnamese soldier. He told me his parents were from Fukien China. He joined the South Vietnamese air force when he was 19 to fight the Northern communists to defend HIS country. I felt so ashamed as my parents changed my age to help me dodge the draft in case I failed college examination. From that point on I no longer judge immigrants as some of them may be more patriotic than I am.

Who are we to judge TOMO?