Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2018?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 51 67.1%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Simon Gauzy

• Tomokazu Harimoto

• Marcos Freitas

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Don't forget, Lin Gao Yuan is # 3 in China, with a record of 22 wins, 5 losses this past season. Saying China can never rely on him is stretching it way beyond reality. China is just starting to use him while players like Zhang Jike are in (or hopefully only have been) in decline.

( Ma Long is #1 at 24w, 5 l; Fan Zhendong is #2 at 23 w, 6 l; Liang JingKun is #4 at 19w, 8 l; Fang Bo is #5 at 19w, 9l)

The stats are true but there was a reason why he was not made to play even a single game in team championship recently because CNT coaches know he is still not that reliable as the others.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The stats are true but there was a reason why he was not made to play even a single game in team championship recently because CNT coaches know he is still not that reliable as the others.

Yes but usually the players who win internal qualifiers just watch on their first occasion while the others play. If they show up a second time then they get to play. That is the usual CNT way for bringing in new players. Lin will play at WTTTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Yes but usually the players who win internal qualifiers just watch on their first occasion while the others play. If they show up a second time then they get to play. That is the usual CNT way for bringing in new players. Lin will play at WTTTC.
First, LGY has to play trial for a spot for the upcoming WTTTC. No guarantee for his spot.
Second, there is no such CNT tradition. Before 2018 WTC, all CNT players who were selected for WTTTC or WTC played at least one match except for Qiu Yike at 2009 WTC (ML, ZJK, XX played all). CNT coaches were too cautious in London to let LGY and YZY play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
First, LGY has to play trial for a spot for the upcoming WTTTC. No guarantee for his spot.
Second, there is no such CNT tradition. Before 2018 WTC, all CNT players who were selected for WTTTC or WTC played at least one match except for Qiu Yike at 2009 WTC (ML, ZJK, XX played all). CNT coaches were too cautious in London to let LGY and YZY play.
In Olympics, there is usually a standby 4th team player that is taken and holds the reserve position on the team. And often the 3rd player taken on the team is usually the 4th player from the prior Olympics.

The 2009 WTTTC was special in that there was a complete selection event and that event was won by Ma Long ZJK and XX over the top 3 at the time. And even then, people still blame Wang Hao for not being courageous enough to play the Finals vs Germany and putting such pressure on Ma Long in 2009.

In 2018 Team cup, there was no selection event - only for two spots. That is my point. If there is a selection event and LGY beat for example ML and XX to qualify as #2, then it becomes more obvious that the coaches had no confidence in them.

So for me I will wait till 2018 WTTTC before making any official pronouncements on LGY status.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
In Olympics, there is usually a standby 4th team player that is taken and holds the reserve position on the team. And often the 3rd player taken on the team is usually the 4th player from the prior Olympics.

The 2009 WTTTC was special in that there was a complete selection event and that event was won by Ma Long ZJK and XX over the top 3 at the time. And even then, people still blame Wang Hao for not being courageous enough to play the Finals vs Germany and putting such pressure on Ma Long in 2009.

In 2018 Team cup, there was no selection event - only for two spots. That is my point. If there is a selection event and LGY beat for example ML and XX to qualify as #2, then it becomes more obvious that the coaches had no confidence in them.

So for me I will wait till 2018 WTTTC before making any official pronouncements on LGY status.

There is no WTTTC in 2009. Only 4 CNT players were at 2009 WTC, ML who played at 2006 and 2008 WTTTC and ZJK, XX, QYK who never played WTTTC or WTC. WH was not thwre. What are you referring to?

As for 2018 WTC, there were two trials. LGY beat ZY and YA to get one spot (LGY/ZY one half and YA/FB the other, KO trial). YZY was in another trial with 8 U21 players. He beat WCQ in the final. ML, FZD and XX got their spots meeting other CTTA criteria. I don't know what you are talking about...

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There is no WTTTC in 2009. Only 4 CNT players were at 2009 WTC, ML who played at 2006 and 2008 WTTTC and ZJK, XX, QYK who never played WTTTC or WTC. WH was not thwre. What are you referring to?

As for 2018 WTC, there were two trials. LGY beat ZY and YA to get one spot (LGY/ZY one half and YA/FB the other, KO trial). YZY was in another trial with 8 U21 players. He beat WCQ in the final. ML, FZD and XX got their spots meeting other CTTA criteria. I don't know what you are talking about...

Obviously I meant 2010. But in any case it is moot.

For 2018, there was no trials including the top players. It is by proving yourself over the top players that they have no choice but to play you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Obviously I meant 2010. But in any case it is moot.

For 2018, there was no trials including the top players. It is by proving yourself over the top players that they have no choice but to play you.

For 2015 WTC, FB won the 4 ppl trial including him, Shang Kun, Cui Qinglei and Liu Yi to get the spot. He did not play a trial including the top players and he played at team stage at 2015 WTC, China vs Egypt. You see the difference?

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
I was wrong, CALDERANO plays very well, he beat a lot good player reaching to final. It will be a good match to watch in the final.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
For 2015 WTC, FB won the 4 ppl trial including him, Shang Kun, Cui Qinglei and Liu Yi to get the spot. He did not play a trial including the top players and he played at team stage at 2015 WTC, China vs Egypt. You see the difference?

Yeah, in that he played against Egypt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Hugo Calderano bim bam boum.

Harimoto more self-conscious since team world cup. He is learning FEAR.

Please Harimoto, for WorkerBee and me and all your fans around the world, retire now before you start losing badly because WorkerBee and I don't like to see you lose badly. You were the chosen one, Tomo. You were supposed to bring 2020 olympic gold to Japan, not get raped 4-0 by a beach boy in 2018. Next thing we know Samsonov is gonna beat you so please retire before. I don't want to hear Samsonov say Harimoto played so so today I thought he was a bit flustered.

#ZJK #Nassar #beatupkid

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
...You were supposed to bring 2020 olympic gold to Japan Harimoto,...
Personally I'm not worried about Tomo. There is no straight line between world rank 12 and world rank 3. Plus he is bi-national in a sport that is heavily national, and that will be tough for a 14 year old to figure out. (When he learns to be proud of both of his heritages, Chinese and Japanese) I still stick with Liu Guo Liang's position, but I think he'll become dominant by 2022 when his muscles get much bigger, not 2024, although LGL might be right because he will need to train his new bigger muscles in the micro-control developed in higher complexities by people like Waldner, Ma Lin, Wang Li Chin, etc. I also think he needs to play Chinese monsters a bunch and develop his innovative tactics a bunch. I don't think Tomo went down as much as Hugo went way up in skill, especially for a 21 year old.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I am afraid Harimoto is going other Japanese players way. Niwa was once the brightest kid in town defeating Ma Long early in his career. Kenta also started with a boom. Similarly, Hirano's play is also levelling down. I am afraid, unlike what all pundits are predicting , Harimoto might end up like Mizutani , Niwa etc - top 10 but not serious threat to CNT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I am afraid Harimoto is going other Japanese players way. Niwa was once the brightest kid in town defeating Ma Long early in hos career. Kenta also started with a boom. Similarly, Hirano's play is also levelling down. I am afraid, unlike what all pundits are predicting , Harimoto might end up like Mizutani , Niwa etc - top 10 but not serious threat to CNT.

Still repeat, it is at least 6 years to early for such statements. We are still looking at the 14 years old wonder! It's just unbelievable how we can easily get used to things, even if they are simply amazing ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
... and to be honest Hugo hasn't yet played anyone with the quality of power and spin combined that FZD brings to the table.
He has beaten spin in Timo, Speed in Harimoto and Lin Gaoyan , but tomorrow's final is going to be interesting in whether he can hand the quality and power of FZD .. in that there is still the four ML , XX , FZD and ZJK when or if ever he gets fit again ..

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
... and to be honest Hugo hasn't yet played anyone with the quality of power and spin combined [...]

I agree ML, FZD and XX (maybe also Dima) are the real deal!

My thoughts are, that if one wants to make a breakthrough, he needs to have an exceptional bh. Do you remember those semi finals between Wang Hao and Ma Long 2011 - 2012. Ma was pinned by WH on the bh side, could not switch to his famous fh. ML has become real super number 1 when he made his bh better and more powerful. Zhang Jike has a very good bh, not to mention FZD ... now Hugo has the very same weapon too ..

I particularly wonder how their backhands will compare. Such an interesting match ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I agree ML, FZD and XX (maybe also Dima) are the real deal!

My thoughts are, that if one wants to make a breakthrough, he needs to have an exceptional bh. Do you remember those semi finals between Wang Hao and Ma Long 2011 - 2012. Ma was pinned by WH on the bh side, could not switch to his famous fh. ML has become real super number 1 when he made his bh better and more powerful. Zhang Jike has a very good bh, not to mention FZD ... now Hugo has the very same weapon too ..

I particularly wonder how their backhands will compare. Such an interesting match ...

Just the opposite, to make a breakthrough, one has to really improve FH. CNT has a saying, BH helps establish advantage and FH helps get points. Of course, one cannot be too weak at BH, like traditional penholder has to develop RPB. European players, or say European style, are good at BH. LGL and other CNT coaches all think Dima has one of the best BH, if not the best. If you study FZD's game, especially against European players, one recent example Liam Pitchford, he's better off to use FH or attack the opponent's FH in the rallies.