Clipper CC or Clipper WRB?

To me, the best handle I have ever felt is the OSP flared handle. They have a blade that would probably be pretty similar to the old Clippers from the 1990s which were better than any wood blade made by the major companies today. In the 1990s the Clipper was 7 ply but only 6mm thick and every bit as fast as todays. But the wood was denser.

OSP Martin is 7 plies, 6mm thick, same top ply and hand made. That blade might be a dream. And their handles are solid so the blades don't feel head heavy. They also seem to feel better and better as you play with them and they age. It might be as a result of the fact that they actually make the blade after you order it.

You can give a try to some clipper based blades with harder outer (Walnut, Rosewood, Eben, Koto), so far I think those blades are amazing with the plastic ball. Have tested the Yasaka Extra Special (Walnut) and TB W7 (Koto outer), both are amazing Clipper based blades. Will recieve a Rosewood and an Eben variant in a month or so......sould think to do a global review about all those Clipper variant.

Yasaka Extra Special is one of the best deal you can make, same composition and quality as Nittaku Barewell (at least the one I recieved, ordered a second already) and much much cheaper.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl,

as i am reading this, you are saying that the clipper classic legend handle as a hollow cut out inside the handle? even if it isn't a WRB blade? <-- i am some what confused

thanks in advance

Yes. All Stiga handles, the ones that look solid from the outside have, have a hollow space inside them. Unless you are using a blade that is pretty old.

I am not really sure when Stiga started making the hollow space. But anything made in the last 6-7 years has a hollow handle. Maybe even anything made after 2000.

Most manufacturers are doing this these days. I am not sure if Butterfly does but most manufacturers do.

I will try and find a photo that shows this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is a photo:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those photos came from when Der_Echte decided to add some weight to the handle of his Stiga Allround Evolution. It is not a Clipper. But it has the same handle.

And if you take any Stiga blade that looks like it has a solid handle and take the handle off, you will find the hollow space.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Carl,

thanks for the photos and answer about this stiga hollow handle question.
i am amazed that stiga does hollow out the handle.

the wood weight savings is what the manufacturers are probably trying to do.. so they can market a lighter weight blade.

hum if i ever break my racket i will probably take the photos haha and post them here.

any ways i love my wood clipper classic with the legend handle so i probably will never break it !

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. That is it. Marketing. Being able to say the blade is 92 grams instead of 97.

The Clipper is a great blade. But it would play better with a solid handle and it would feel like it was the same weight. The weight in the handle just makes it more solid and better balanced.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
At some point I will get myself an OSP Martin and ask them to make it as heavy as they can which should be about 94 grams. That blade has a solid handle, is hand made and 6mm thick instead of 7mm thick. It should play a lot like one of the Clippers from the 1990s. If you ever get a chance to try one of those, you will love it. Either a Clipper from the 1990s or an OSP Martin.

When you order from OSP, they make the blade after you order and you can ask for specific details. Like, each blade I ordered from them, I asked for the weight I wanted and the head size I wanted. They will do that even when that particular blade normally comes with a different head size.

Most blades seem to play better when they are on the heavier weight range for that particular blade. For instance, a blade whose weight is generally between 85-90 grams, a 90 gram version of that blade will feel and play noticeably better than an 85 gram version of the same blade. The denser wood plays better, feels more solid and slows more feeling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Carl,

i totally agree with what you have just wrote.

the heavier the blade the better for me. i have found out that my beginning point of liking a blade flared handle is around 93 grams. i do tend to like/love a blade when it s 95 grams to about 98 grams.

the solid weight of the blade helps me on blocking and hitting winners. most people believes that the lighter the better but the science tells me F=MA (force = mass x acceleration) so i want great force on my loops and to achieve that , you need mass times your speed.

so it also works when a good 2200 player sends a hard loop to you, and you have to block it back. if you have a light weight set up, you have to block the ball in the perfect sweet spot. but if you have a heavy set , then your block doesn't have to be perfect.

every time i meet a new player in my clubs , i always ask them what they like about their set up, and they always talk about their light weight set up a but then i tell them about my heavy set up and why i like the heavy set up, they then say humm your right. :)

my clipper weighs 95 grams and i have another back up clipper wood and it is 93 grams... i put some lead tape on the side to get it to about 98 grams and it is a great set up for the new poly ball.

pham

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl