Clipper CC or Clipper WRB?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Awesome. I am happy for you. I just switched back to a Clipper as well. :) Don't you love that snap that you get when you really dig into the ball? And how much dwell time you get even though the blade is fast. It feels like the ball is on the rubber for ever so you can really spin it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It looks thick and heavy. I prefer medium blades between 80-90 grams. Although as far as wood blades go I love the Yiyong Fan Extra. Just had mine relaminated and it's feeling great again. Not quite as fast as the OFF- blades I have, but more an ALL blade. Juic makes some nice blades as far as I've tried. Stiga I feel makes thicker blades which I don't enjoy. I prefer thinner blades from 5.5-6.5 in thickness.

I'm curious to ask what you were using before Scorpnox? I'm just surprised it's as fast as you describe. Or maybe it's just that new sensation or a new rubber?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Glad you liked it buddy! Clipper WRB really is an excellent blade. Loads of control, loads of spin, effortless...and the rubbers that you use are perfect for it. It's a crisp blade once you get your timing. You can feel the ball digging into the blade, which will give a lot of confidence looping under spins. Very good at short games, and 2 or 3 extra gears when you let it rip. It's like Audi R8, you can take an easy drive to the office, and on weekends, you can release the beast on the track!!

This user has no status.
I'm curious to ask what you were using before Scorpnox? I'm just surprised it's as fast as you describe. Or maybe it's just that new sensation or a new rubber?

I used Butterfly Maze passion OFF-...

And @ Azlan: True, it really gives a lot of confidence and that's important for me. I know that i am able to loop on every underspin now :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Congratulations on your new blade. Too bad there wasn't clipper wood stock in my country's local tt shops. So i got a clipper cr wrb instead :D

That is a very good blade too. It has a little more control than the Clipper Classic. The CR actually gives you a little more control.

Mar 2011
Wasn't the cr meant to be faster haha.

Yup, it's only slightly faster, but provide better control. That was what Carl meant. The CR technology involves the use of a UV varnish which under UV light cross-links and creates a hard top-surface. This light is fine enough to penetrate the wood grains on the top ply and harden the overall structure creating that crisp feeling when you hit the ball and better control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Hi guys.. and gals..

i have a story to share, i have been away from the game for about 5-7 years, and when i came back in early 2013, equipment has changed alot. no more speed gluing.

with the speed glue ban, i couldn't rely on my dwelly top spin forehand that i played with back in 2005

so i had to find a new set up in the modern era.

playing with forehand dominate style game, i needed a racket that slightly flexes and some decent power too.

in the past i had a gambler carbon arylate straight fat handle with tibhar torpedo speed glued, and that combo was great. but with out the glue, that set up with the 40mm ball sucks.

coming back into the game my body and legs were out of shape and so of course the skills were not where it used to be... so i had to start off slowly.

while looking for the best rubber and blade type to match my game i ended up buying over 10 rackets,

forehand rubber - chinese style Hurricane 3 (neos, blue spong, 50 red sponge)
backhand rubber - donic blue fire m2, tenergy 64, tenergy 05

yinhe T8 - great handle - too fast - not enough dwell
butterfly AL - short small handle didnt like - very dwelly but not fast enough
butterfly innerforce ALC - short small handle didnt like - dead feel, just a little too fast
butterfly mike maze - - short small handle didnt like - crisp feel, nice dwell, over all too light (83) grams
butterfly viscaria - short small handle didnt like - crisp feel, nice dwell, 87 grams second best blade, will keep for backup
yasaka ma long soft carbon - short small handle didnt like - crisp feel, nice dwell - head shape is too small, too light
yinhe W2 - great handle - nice dwell, 90 percent speed of Viscaria - will keep for 3rd backup

and the one i liked best is Stiga
Stiga Clipper Classic - legend handle - hand is the best of all blades i have tried - perfect pitch sound - just dwelly enough for spin and great power for both FH and BH , 94 grams perfect weight for tournament style playing.

weight of the stiga is 94 grams and some might say that it is too heavy for them. but i say when your playing a 2200 level player that hits a hard spinny loop at you, you need to stick the block. and to stick blocks is to have a heavy set up that when the incoming ball hits your blade, it doesn't move. the force of the ball can not over come the weight of your blade. i have found my cut line for weight is 185 grams or higher will give me this stability for good blocking. and of course if youre hitting a ball, the heaveir set blade will be more stable too. over course you can't have it too heavy as you can not get a good flick or accelerate, but i have concluded that 94 gram blade is a great start for me.

anyways, the irony of it all is i spend gobs of money on modern high tech blades and what i ended up with was just a classic all wooden blade.

when i quit playing table tennis in 2005 i was rated around 2032 usatt rating.

now with 2 years under my belt from the come back , i am now rated 2128 usatt. never though i would be this high but with continued drills on serve returns and playing this classic chinese style forehand with the clipper i can see myself going a little farther..

so my moral is don't buy all that fast carbon high tech stuff, just stick with classics, in my case it was the clipper classic that shines in my hands..

phamster

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The regular Stiga Clipper, the Classic Clipper, no CR, no WRB, is still one of the best blades on the market. And the ones that are heavier definitely play better.

I have a friend who has a Clipper from back in 1991 when they made 6mm Clippers. That is one of the best blades I have ever felt. OMG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
currently using mapplewood nct v with t05(fh) limber (bh), but it feels a bit to hard for me, should i change it to clipper? cr/wrb/cc? cause i want around same speed, but a bit softer (not soft) o should i look for different blade? thanks ;)

I am not sure what the maplewood feels like. If you don't mind a blade that weighs 94 grams getting a Clipper and getting one of the heavier ones would be awesome.

An OSP Martin at 94 grams might be as good or better since it is hand made and a lot like the old Clippers from the 90s and the handle is solid so there is a bit more weight in the handle. But with the Martin, you would have to ask them to make for you at 94 grams which is the high weight for that blade. That blade would also start playing better and better after it aged for 4-6 months. I have a bunch of blades from OSP. They start off feeling darn good. And as you play them, they break in and the wood ages and they play better and better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Carl, or anyone else for that matter!

I would be interested in your opinion of the original Joola Rossi Viva. It appears (on the face of it at least) to be very similar to a Clipper. Sadly, they dont make them any more and the remake is hard to get hold of in the UK.

It is the blade that I used as a junior and having come back to the game three years ago, I have tried a number of other options, but the Rossi Viva and Acuda s1 Turbo, is better than anything else I have tried.

If the Clipper Wood, or WRB are similar, it may be a good option for spare blade (just in case the worst should ever happen and it break)!

thanks!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, or anyone else for that matter!

I would be interested in your opinion of the original Joola Rossi Viva. It appears (on the face of it at least) to be very similar to a Clipper. Sadly, they dont make them any more and the remake is hard to get hold of in the UK.

It is the blade that I used as a junior and having come back to the game three years ago, I have tried a number of other options, but the Rossi Viva and Acuda s1 Turbo, is better than anything else I have tried.

If the Clipper Wood, or WRB are similar, it may be a good option for spare blade (just in case the worst should ever happen and it break)!

thanks!

The Joola Viva is a Clipper. The wood was made in the Stiga factory and they put the Joola handle on instead of the Stiga handle. The Joola handle is really nice except for their logo which seems to fall off so easily. But a Classic Clipper would be very similar except the handle is a little thicker and a bit more hollow. (Even though both blades appear to have a solid handle, if you open the handle there is a small hollow in the handle. The hollow in the handle is bigger in the Stiga handle than in the Joola handle. At least I am pretty sure I remember correctly that the Joola has a slight hollow space).

Reactions: trappedinwales
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Top man, thanks Carl.

The logo in my Rossi Viva has remained firmly in the blade and it just seems to fit my hand better than anything else I have tried so far. The feeling of dwell on the blade with the added spin and speed generated from the Acuda s1 Turbo is perfect for me.

I am going to trial some other blades in the summer off season, but it is good to know that the clipper will be the same, if I choose to go back to it!

thanks again.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Top man, thanks Carl.

The logo in my Rossi Viva has remained firmly in the blade and it just seems to fit my hand better than anything else I have tried so far. The feeling of dwell on the blade with the added spin and speed generated from the Acuda s1 Turbo is perfect for me.

I am going to trial some other blades in the summer off season, but it is good to know that the clipper will be the same, if I choose to go back to it!

thanks again.

Yeah, Joola's handles are really nice. The only thing different between the Viva and the Clipper Classic will be the handle. Stage's "Master" (flare) handle will be closest in size to the Joola flare handle. The larger "Legend" (flare) will be bigger than the Master and the Master is already a bit bigger than the Joola flare. After you use it, sweat on it and break it in, the Stiga handle gets a lot smoother and feels really good. But the Joola handles just have that nice smooth feel. Although, I really do like the slightly larger size of the Stiga handles.

To me, the best handle I have ever felt is the OSP flared handle. They have a blade that would probably be pretty similar to the old Clippers from the 1990s which were better than any wood blade made by the major companies today. In the 1990s the Clipper was 7 ply but only 6mm thick and every bit as fast as todays. But the wood was denser.

OSP Martin is 7 plies, 6mm thick, same top ply and hand made. That blade might be a dream. And their handles are solid so the blades don't feel head heavy. They also seem to feel better and better as you play with them and they age. It might be as a result of the fact that they actually make the blade after you order it.

Reactions: trappedinwales
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
The Joola Viva is a Clipper. The wood was made in the Stiga factory and they put the Joola handle on instead of the Stiga handle. The Joola handle is really nice except for their logo which seems to fall off so easily. But a Classic Clipper would be very similar except the handle is a little thicker and a bit more hollow. (Even though both blades appear to have a solid handle, if you open the handle there is a small hollow in the handle. The hollow in the handle is bigger in the Stiga handle than in the Joola handle. At least I am pretty sure I remember correctly that the Joola has a slight hollow space).

Carl,

as i am reading this, you are saying that the clipper classic legend handle as a hollow cut out inside the handle? even if it isn't a WRB blade? <-- i am some what confused

thanks in advance