high or low throw angle?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
There is a bug after the forum upgrade. Any post that contains the url AND quote tags get devoured by the black hole.

Reactions: BeGo
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
A layman like me thinks that a high throw angle means that the racket setup is used by players who have less strength and technique than players with good technique and strength.

IMHO, a low throw racket setup requires a fast and strong stroke/brush to pass the ball over the net. The reward is the spiniest and quickest ball with a low bounce on the opponent table, which is harder to return.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
You dug up an old thread.

A layman like me thinks that a high throw angle means that the racket setup is used by players who have less strength and technique than players with good technique and strength.
I don't think so but since I haven't seen anybody define throw angle, yours is as good as any.
I don't give a hoot but the result.
To be precise, one should use terms like normal or tangential COR ( coefficient of restitution ). Whether the player can actually generate a spinny ball is his probablem.

IMHO, a low throw racket setup requires a fast and strong stroke/brush to pass the ball over the net.
I agree with that.

The reward is the spiniest and quickest ball with a low bounce on the opponent table, which is harder to return.
I don't agree with this. A brush stroke using a high tangential COR will be spinnier.
A question for you. What makes a rubber spinny?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You dug up an old thread.

Thanks for reminding people. It is worth letting people know when you are digging up an old long dead thread, that you are waking it up and perhaps even, why.

I don't agree with this. A brush stroke using a high tangential COR will be spinnier.
A question for you. What makes a rubber spinny?

This is the central thing and it is worth people thinking about it. Good post BrokenBall.

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Thanks for reminding people. It is worth letting people know when you are digging up an old long dead thread, that you are waking it up and perhaps even, why.

Yeah, i read through the thead the firt time today

This is the central thing and it is worth people thinking about it. Good post BrokenBall.

Yeah, good thread. I read through it for the first time today and it makes me wonder.

If I get myself a nice stiff board and glue a few different rubbers to it, then set it up at the end of the table with a n angle leaning in towards the table.
Then start shooting with the robot always the same shot. .................
Now I would get completely different angled shots from the different rubbers, right ?

If that is so, why do the manufacturers not give us this angle ?
It would be more revealing about the rubbers qualities than the usual "speed -control- spin- lies they are telling us.

The test shot could be a standard and qualified as (for example) 40km/h speed - no spin- shot 30cm - above table surface etc etc .

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
One thing I agree with Yogi is that brush strokes provide optimal spin. The problem is that they requires precise timing since the effective area of the paddle is low. My first coach and I would warm up and it quickly degraded/elevated to a loop counter loop drill where the goal was to put so much spin on the loop that it would drop below the opponents paddle due to the Magnus effect. It was fun. My first coach was a big looper but sometimes he would loop too high and I would counter hit.

This video is very old. About 10 years. The ball definitely takes a jump low and changes directions. My stroke was meant to counter my opponents spin that should have gone off to the left from the camera. I countered the spin and then some. Notice that I waited to hit the ball. This requires me me to use more spin relative to speed because if I hit the ball too hard, it wouldn't land on the table.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/TT/Hook Loop.mp4

I don't understand the young kid that want fast, boosted, over spinny. Sometimes it just takes timing and the patience tp wait for it.