Flexible all+ - off blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hi. I was wondering about flexible blades (allwood) Can you give me some suggestions on flexible blades all+ - off that should fit well with hard rubber fh and medium hard rubber on BH. I play with stiga clipper CR with hurricane 8 (boosted) and target pro m43. It feels good to me but I’m not sure if it’s too fast for me. I want to stick with a hard tacky rubber on my FH.
And what is the difference between a soft/hard blade and a flexible/non-flexible blade?
I’ve played with these blades : Petr korbel, too fast. Allround classic, a bit too slow. Andre super core cell off-, small head size and a weird feeling.
DHS fang bo ALC. way too fast.
It’s probably my rubber but still gonna ask, when hitting forehand the blade doesn’t give much vibration, a very “quiet” feeling. My coach tried my racket and hated the feeling, he said
-It feels dead, no feeling, I like the rubbers like sonic acuda. It remind me of the gluing days.
Got really disappointed but I really like Chinese rubber the way I can add as Michu power as I want and I live the feeling of opening up and serving.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
The difference (generally) is that flexible blades are faster, less linear and much harder to control than stiff ones and soft blades are slower than hard ones and have more dwell time, thus more spinny. Generally. But it's so variable that.. for example, the liu shiwen blade is seemingly EXACTLY the innerforce zlf blade, except it's a lot faster and it's said that this is because the gluing process. So go figure. Also it's really difficult to really categorize blades like this because there are very variable compositions. DHS301 for example has a hard outer ply (one of the hardest woods used in TT blades) but softer inner layer and carbon underneath that, so it's a hard blade on weaker shots and softer feeling on harder shots etc. It's so variable..

A 'dead' feeling blade doesn't necessarily mean anything bad too. I have a blade called Palio King Yue that feels kind of dead (it's an 11 ply blade with 4 layers of soft carbon so ultimately you don't feel that much of the impact), but because it's all soft layers it is a very soft blade that is relatively non-flexible (Because of the many layers) and is the best blade for topspin I ever used. Driving with it is extremely comfortable exactly because it feels 'dead', too, but it is a tiny bit too slow for me ultimately.
A stiff/soft blade that has a kind of magic of its own.

So..
Maybe you should try it by the way, it's like $20 with free shipping on aliexpress. Possibly you'll like that.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The difference (generally) is that flexible blades are faster, less linear and much harder to control than stiff ones and soft blades are slower than hard ones and have more dwell time, thus more spinny. Generally. But it's so variable that.. for example, the liu shiwen blade is seemingly EXACTLY the innerforce zlf blade, except it's a lot faster and it's said that this is because the gluing process. So go figure. Also it's really difficult to really categorize blades like this because there are very variable compositions. DHS301 for example has a hard outer ply (one of the hardest woods used in TT blades) but softer inner layer and carbon underneath that, so it's a hard blade on weaker shots and softer feeling on harder shots etc. It's so variable..

A 'dead' feeling blade doesn't necessarily mean anything bad too. I have a blade called Palio King Yue that feels kind of dead (it's an 11 ply blade with 4 layers of soft carbon so ultimately you don't feel that much of the impact), but because it's all soft layers it is a very soft blade that is relatively non-flexible (Because of the many layers) and is the best blade for topspin I ever used. Driving with it is extremely comfortable exactly because it feels 'dead', too, but it is a tiny bit too slow for me ultimately.
A stiff/soft blade that has a kind of magic of its own.

So..
Maybe you should try it by the way, it's like $20 with free shipping on aliexpress. Possibly you'll like that.

So OP's asking about an all-wood blade and you go on about carbon blades? I don't follow your logic whatsoever.

Also, how are flexible blades harder to control than stiff ones? For a blade to be flexible, it needs to be made of "softer" woods that can bend thus allowing more dwell time...

OP seems to know what he's looking for since he's tried various types of blades and provided accurate feedback on them. He wants a flexible blade, thus all-wood in the ALL+/OFF- region, and you're going to recommend an 11-ply "dead" feeling blade?

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is interesting: OP also did say he wanted info On blades that were faster than an:

Allround Classic

because that was too slow.

And slower than a:

Petr Korbel or Clipper

because they were too fast.

And PG7 (very close to Clipper), Stratus Power Wood (very close to Korbel) and the Allround Classic were all mentioned. [emoji2]

But thomas.pong is still making a good point.

Lightzy’s post is interesting from a sociological perspective. But I am not so sure about the value of a lot of the content. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Lightzy’s post is interesting from a sociological perspective. But I am not so sure about the value of a lot of the content. [emoji2]

;) ;) ;)

It is interesting: OP also did say he wanted info On blades that were faster than an:

Allround Classic

because that was too slow.

And slower than a:

Petr Korbel or Clipper

Because they were too fast.

And PG7, Stratus Power Wood (very close to Korbel) and the Allround Classic were also mentioned.

Ah yes, Stratus Power Wood is probably too fast still... Stiga Offensive Classic might just be right in the middle of Allround Classic and Korbel, not too slow or too fast for OP... He's very precise in what he's looking for given what he's already tried and his feedback. What do you think?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Most of the blades on your list were on target though. So I will add:

Yasaka Sweden Extra
Nexy Peter Pan
Stiga Energy Wood
Stiga Allround Evolution

There really are a lot more. Every company has a few blades in this class.

Reactions: thomas.pong
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Thomas, if you actually read his post, past the part where youre solicited for recommendations, you'd see hes asking all kinds of questions. So i answered those questions truly. He also mentioned his coach talking about dead blades so i wrote on that a bit.

As for your question (which he also asked):
Flexible and soft are not the same thing. This is a common misunderstanding. Flexible does not imply the ability of the blade to bend, but rather the ability of the blade to flex quickly back into its original shape after impact deformation. Like a drum skin thats taut. If its slackened it is more soft but less quick to flex.
A flexible blade is (generally) harder to control because its behavior is less predictable. If you hit a ball with a metal ruler you will experience less control than if you hit it with a metal block. The differences are minute, with the rubbers and the variance of flexibility in blades, but they are there and make an effect.

Also you asked about the material propery of being soft and flexible but this is not always the right way to look at it because flexibility is often dictated by the shaping and design of a given substance. A metal ruler is very flexible but a metal cube is not, given it is the same composition of metal. It is a bit more complicated than this of course because every material has its own 'inherent composition' or crystal structure which are the same regardless of shaping, though the shaping process can change this composition (for example with the application of heat)... But this is a very general gist.

So I brought up the 11 ply blade as a functional example of material property interacting with design to create a specific effect. As a general rule, the more plies you have the less flexible the blade, (especially given plies are often glued in different alignments which, for wood or carbon 'weave' is very significant it is the whole reason that there are plies to begin with) but it is not necessarily less soft.

Is that clear i hope?

I also hope carl could once point out to something specific i say which is incorrect instead of trying to impugn in general terms which are never specified. It is very unbecoming. I think it is also unbecoming of you, thomas, to encourage this kind of behavior in a forum for adults.
It is interesting from a sociological standpoint though? Ha

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is true, soft and flexible are not the same thing. Sometimes when flexibility is discussed, some of what is referred to is vibrations from the blade.

The idea that a more flexible blade is harder to control is missing some information.

If you hit flat, if your impact is direct instead of tangential, then a more flexible blade will not be as fast or as easy to control in comparison to a stiffer blade.

However, if your contact is tangential and you are using a more flexible blade, for that kind of contact, the flex and resultant vibration can help increase dwell time and, at the same time, speed.

So, often, flexible 5 ply wooden blades are often referred to as looping blades.

Hard wood can be flexible. Soft wood is not always flexible. And construction definitely plays a role in how a blade flexes.

Often the blades that are most flexible are thin.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yup that is exactly right.

What Carl says about how flexible blades react is more detailed than what I wrote.I said that the flexible blades will be harder to control in general but he also said why and when. It is because unless you use the right angle AND motion in EVERY stroke, you will get inconsistent results, while with a less flexible blade this will not be a big issue and drives will be a lot easier and consistent. however if you DO use them correctly, they also have a magic of their own.
I use mostly a Liu Shiwen ZLF blade which is built to have more of these 'vibrations' both in the materials chosen (ZLF) and composition (large head) so I can tell you that looking specifically for a flexible blade is, well, something you should put some thought into. I can't consistently drive back a topspin, for example, and some players can be really punishing if they can drive a topspin with power consistently rather than topspin it back. So there's always tradeoffs.

But ultimately, in keeping with what Carl wrote about the angle and motion of contact - even a minute change in the angle and motion of the racket is much, much more significant than all these material properties put together.
If what you want is an all wood 5 ply flexible blade that will make your coach happy, go for it and Carl's recommendations are ideal.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will give a little story.

A friend of mine had these two blades. One was a blade that was all Hinoki: Butterfly Jonyer H. The other was a Cornilleau Hinotec All+ which has a Hinoki top ply and Limba and Ayous under it.

He asked me to hit with both and see which I liked better. This was a long time ago. It was before I could really loop. I hit with flat, direct contact back then.

The Hinotec felt great to me. And the Jonyer felt terrible.

Then my friend asked another friend, a woman who was semi-pro (2400+ USATT). She said she much preferred the Jonyer. That it was faster, got more spin and more control.

Her technique allowed her to feel things about that blade that, at the time, I had no access to.

When my loop was solid and I tried that same blade several years later, I was amazed at how good it felt. How fast it was. How much spin I could get with it.

At a lower level I didn’t have access to feeling how the flex added to the dynamics of the blade. But when I had a decent level loop the blade felt totally different.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I also hope carl could once point out to something specific i say which is incorrect instead of trying to impugn in general terms which are never specified. It is very unbecoming. I think it is also unbecoming of you, thomas, to encourage this kind of behavior in a forum for adults.
It is interesting from a sociological standpoint though? Ha

Look Lightzy, what ticked me off, is that OP was asking for pretty simple straight forward advice about all-wood blades, and on post #4 you go on a confusing monologue about the carbon blades YOU've been toying with only to recommend an 11-ply carbon blade... jawdropping. I'm not trying to pick up a fight, rather point out the fact that giving wild advice to OP's seemingly simple questions is unbecoming, to use your words. On the other end, your posts of what makes a blade flexible are more thought out... and valuable.

Last edited:
I would recommend Xiom Musa Asia - its very similar to Primorac, but of highest quality with jointless veneer and seamless glue, limited edition, and at the same time is cheaper.

About carbon blades - Lightzy have mentioned Palio King Yue which is stiff but soft 7 wood+4 carbon, not very fast and with soft touch, feels dead and has no vibration, and he is right - its a very good blade.
I have a Palio V1 which is 7 wood + 4 carbon too , but is just the opposite - hard but flexible, with lighter hits feels like a 7 ply allwood blade capable of AR and has sensible vibrations, not dead, very dull sound, but with stronger hits goes to amazing off+ with nice high pitch.
So speaking of composite carbon blades the common general attitude may be not always applicable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
BTW: Liu Shiwen blade is an excellent blade where you can really loop with it. And you still can get power and control on direct contact.

yes, my friend has one that I got to try long time ago with European rubbers and I loved it. I remember me saying that I really liked his Liu Shiwen blade because it felt so crisp, easy to loop with and it really helped my BH. I will ask him if I could try it out again. Expensive tho but if I like it I will surely get it.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
It is true, soft and flexible are not the same thing. Sometimes when flexibility is discussed, some of what is referred to is vibrations from the blade.

The idea that a more flexible blade is harder to control is missing some information.

If you hit flat, if your impact is direct instead of tangential, then a more flexible blade will not be as fast or as easy to control in comparison to a stiffer blade.

However, if your contact is tangential and you are using a more flexible blade, for that kind of contact, the flex and resultant vibration can help increase dwell time and, at the same time, speed.

So, often, flexible 5 ply wooden blades are often referred to as looping blades.

Hard wood can be flexible. Soft wood is not always flexible. And construction definitely plays a role in how a blade flexes.

Often the blades that are most flexible are thin.

Is there a way to know which blades are flexible by just knowing information about it or do you have to use it to know? Can you give me a few examples of 5ply, good flexible looping blades which still has control when near the table. How is Stiga intensity NCT, Stiga VPS series, specifically the infinity and arctic and then also the offensive classics and offensive classic CR? Thanks