Your best tips on table tennis equipment?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Matthew Suchy talking about a player who was low/mid level player who was looking for a setup.

"If it is just because he wants to make himself happy, he can get whatever he wants, Timo Boll, Tenergy, whatever. But if he wants to get better, he should get a 5 ply wood blade with good flex and feel, and rubbers he can control and learn to spin with."

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
What are some of the best tips you've received (or given) about table tennis equipment?

It can be anything, for example rubber/blade/accessories recommendation, gluing tips, cleaning tips, etc.

What's your best tip?

Best advice I ever received was: pick anything you think you like to play with, with caution, and with the truism "1. consistency; 2. placement; 3. speed" ever in mind. Anything goes, as long as it's within your realm of possibility.

Then stick with it, put in the hours; find focus and focused training partners; find a trainer if you can, and be truly open to your trainer's feedback. In that process, grow into your equipment, become one with it.

And if you're development enhances your possibilities and requirements, change only one component at a time. A slightly stiffer, or flexier, or faster blade, with the same rubbers. The same rubbers on the same blade in a different sponge thickness. A slightly different BH or FH rubber on the same blade, if your BH and FH call for different properties. On each change, take the time to internalize it, to grow one with it — again.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some people behave as if the right number of blades to own is N + 1, where N is the number you currently own.

Others in slightly different circumstances behave as if the right number of blades to own is S - 1, where S is the number that causes your partner to leave you.

The solution to this apparent paradox?

Try out the blades of all your clubmates. Hopefully one of them is a completely degenerate EJ who buys something new every week and then you can try everything.

This is important because trying stuff before you buy is the most economical equipment advice I can give. This is because the truth in my experience, sadly, is that TT forums are not always the best way to make a decision about expensive equipment.

Once you find something know that good = good enough. Stop messing around and work on your footwork. And that is the second (actually third) most important advice I can give.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Summary.

1. Try before you buy.

2. Forum reviews are not a substitute for trying before you buy. Pictures of a hot woman are not the same as having sex with her, which in spite of some quaint yet persistent religious customs, I strongly recommend before marrying her (see 1 above).

3. Good is good enough. Your very pretty and nice wife will make you happier than Rihana and costs less.

Last edited:
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Summary.

1. Try before you buy.

2. Forum reviews are not a substitute for trying before you buy. Pictures of a hot woman are not the same as having sex with her, which in spite of some quaint yet persistent religious customs, I strongly recommend before marrying her (see 1 above).

3. Good is good enough. Your very pretty and nice wife will make you happier than Rihana and costs less.

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Rubbers that came out recently are not necessarily better than the rubbers that came out earlier. I think we've hit the ceiling with rubber development.

And play all wood if you have enough power with it, only switch if it's not fast enough

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Having seen people ask for advice, only to insist on MXP/Tenergy/etc after doing some self reading.... I say everyone should undergo the rite of passage of getting gear way above your league and having some humble pie. Afterwards, you can come back, admit to your mistake, and then have a more serious discussion about what's the best gear to improve :)

Reactions: NextLevel