Cutting the rubber

disposable-shaving-blade-500x500.jpg

Reactions: romanzdk and Geoch
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Unless perhaps the lubrication (of the knife with paraffin oil) is a critical part, the pen knife especially if it its thick & fat like the best out there (ASSIST 07G-LS Utility knife) can't do it right.
I have a special scissor for inner tubes (Beta 1128B) and is not much better than the knife especially at the starting edges.
Lately I've try the (ASTOR) shaving blade and is indeed excellent but I can't think a safe way to grab it.
Furthermore driving it accurately is impossible with so much flexibility.
Trying to cut the Rhyzm-P last week, a couple of times the blade touches the wood part of my Vega Tour :(

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can use any number of knives or scissors.

I just feel like cutting with a blade is sort of like, if you are anal and think you want it perfect. But, as Geoch said, you can take some slices out of the wood. And it is just sooooo much too much effort.

If I use scissors, it always comes out fine. It takes 1/3 the time with a scissor. And if you have cut enough rubbers with a scissor, you sort out how to negotiate the first part when the scissor has to dance under the handle. It isn't hard. You just have to figure it out. Once you figure out the little cuts you make to get past the handle, cutting with scissors takes very little time and is very accurate. Sharp scissors are good. But once you have done enough rubbers, you can do it with any decent scissors.

The first club I played at when I started again as an adult, one of my old friends was one of the guys who worked there. And I hung out with him while he put blades together for people. He had done so many. He cut so fast it was done before I realized. And it always came out perfect. Scissor just takes a little skill. Then it is by far the easiest way.

I can use any number of knives or scissors.

I just feel like cutting with a blade is sort of like, if you are anal and think you want it perfect. But, as Geoch said, you can take some slices out of the wood. And it is just sooooo much too much effort.

Well, I've used knifes and I've used scisors. Scisors are faster. Knifes do the job with different success on dofferent rubbers.
I felt Ok with knifes.
The shaving blade technoque I got from one of coaches in the club. He is the club God of the Glue Job.
When I tried the technique for the frrst time it got working perfectly just after the first quarter of the first rubber. No wood slices, no efforts - smooth and easy perfect result like factory cut.

And the OP is asking for a Perfect cut, not easiest or fastest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Langel
Do I'll have to work slowly, cutting only a couple of millimeters each time?
Pushing the razor deep cutting the sponge & the pimple part at once?

I remember 2 years back, when I have to cut the Rising Dragon (which was my first try since 1986), I've draw a curve with a permanent marker to the sponge, following the blade shape and this helps a lot with the scissors.
Next time, I'll do the same and furthermore I'll lubricate the (whatever is) the cutting surface of the tool.
Thank you all for your responses. :)
BTW ... where I can find the "Like" button?

Last edited:
Langel
Do I'll have to work slowly, cutting only a couple of millimeters each time?
Pushing the razor deep cutting the sponge & the pimple part at once?

No, you don't have to work slowly. You may start it slower till you find the wright angle, preassure and fingers position. When you get it you will pass a quarter with a single move.
I put my index finger just over the cutting point and my middle finger 1.5 cm behind it with a little preasure to keep the blade follow the curve and at the same time to hold the cut vertical. Don't press to cut the sponge and top-sheet at once, two cuts are enough, but some rubbers may be cut at once. If you are afraid of the upper side of the blade you may cover it with tape.
Enjoy your work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoch
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For sure langel is correct that, without any practice, a blade is easier to make the cut job look decent. Perfect, everyone’s definition of that will be different. But you can get a cut job that looks quite good without any learning with a good blade.

However, once you are skilled with a scissor, you always get a pretty clean cut with very little effort.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy