Language on ITTF site

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well I am fan of many other things besides TT and most of information on the web are in English, but ITTF website made me for the first time looking for some words in translator. Just wondering if it is necessary, sometimes I do not know why people try to make easy things complicated. I have never had any troubles with understaind what Adam Bobrow is saying. Surely he does not write this articles.
I think ITTF is internation website not only for English native so it will be better if they understand that some people are not English natives or finished their education 20 years ago like me.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Alas, yonder world is most susceptible to the tides of our ever changing musings. Tis surely includeth our most precious soliloquys. Will we succumb to this atrocious bane of primitive language that scarcely resembleth the Queen's English? Forsooth! Let it not be so!

Haha! Sorry, couldn't resist. Let's all head down to the library and check out a good book or two. ;)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Ian Marshall has been commentating and writing articles for ITTF for an unbelievably long time and knows an overwhelming amount about the history of ITTF. He has an unbelievable memory of matches and results from world tour and WTTC going back decades, you could call him The Archive. Sure sometimes he writes some less common words but he is just trying to capture the excitement of what he has seen, I don't think it's fair to blame him because some people can't understand some of the words that he uses in the articles. When you write as many articles as he does (and I can somewhat relate although my output volume is not even close) it becomes a mission to make sure you are not always using the same descriptive words over and over again in your writing. It's not as easy as it looks! :)

I think Ian does an amazing job for table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Alas, yonder world is most susceptible to the tides of our ever changing musings. Tis surely includeth our most precious soliloquys. Will we succumb to this atrocious bane of primitive language that scarcely resembleth the Queen's English? Forsooth! Let it not be so!

Haha! Sorry, couldn't resist. Let's all head down to the library and check out a good book or two. ;)

That made me smile...and wonder who could top that. Probably only berndtmann...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Ian Marshall has been commentating and writing articles for ITTF for an unbelievably long time and knows an overwhelming amount about the history of ITTF. He has an unbelievable memory of matches and results from world tour and WTTC going back decades, you could call him The Archive. Sure sometimes he writes some less common words but he is just trying to capture the excitement of what he has seen, I don't think it's fair to blame him because some people can't understand some of the words that he uses in the articles. When you write as many articles as he does (and I can somewhat relate although my output volume is not even close) it becomes a mission to make sure you are not always using the same descriptive words over and over again in your writing. It's not as easy as it looks! :)

I think Ian does an amazing job for table tennis.

Indeed he does a very good job, although I generally prefer Bobrows commentating (or Bobrow + Marshall) over Ian Marshalls. But whenever I'm in the right mood I like to retreat to my library, wearing my paisley patterned dressing gown, nipping on a nice cup of Earl Grey, eating pork stew in peppermint sauce and watch a tt match commentated by Ian Marshall. In doing so I almost feel like an aristocratic Briton...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Amen (especially the part about conveying emotions). Not to sound like a bore or a snob - or so be it - but OP sounds like advocating for doubleplus simple speak (if you catch my drift). Standardisation in all things is bad enough as it is.

(edit: quote got lost but I'm referring to Matt's post)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is a valid criticism. Writers should try to keep their audience in mind. The problem when writing for an international audience comes from using unnecessarily obscure Anglo-Saxon words like "thwarted" that don't have cognates in other languages. The "big words" are actually not the problem.

I think ITTF has bigger problems than this though.

Reactions: pgpg and bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
It is a valid criticism. Writers should try to keep their audience in mind. The problem when writing for an international audience comes from using unnecessarily obscure Anglo-Saxon words like "thwarted" that don't have cognates in other languages. The "big words" are actually not the problem.

I think ITTF has bigger problems than this though.

Happy days then, more things to learn for everyone. On the opposite end of the scale, "X won because X is very good; Y did not win because he is not so good" will do a whole lot worse for the audience.
I do get your point of course, but I think it's fair if a match report should sometimes read like an old medieval battlefield account, Greek epic or whatever else of the kind. Again, it's all about conveying emotions (really can't think of a better phrase) and if it means people will have to open a book more often - who am I kidding -, then all the better.

[Before you ask, I haven't turned thirty yet]

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Happy days then, more things to learn for everyone. On the opposite end of the scale, "X won because X is very good; Y did not win because he is not so good" will do a whole lot worse for the audience.
I do get your point of course, but I think it's fair if a match report should sometimes read like an old medieval battlefield account, Greek epic or whatever else of the kind. Again, it's all about conveying emotions (really can't think of a better phrase) and if it means people will have to open a book more often - who am I kidding -, then all the better.

[Before you ask, I haven't turned thirty yet]

Obviously that is not what I am calling for. Read Hemingway. Great example of someone who writes in a style accessible to pretty much anyone without resorting to "X won because X is good". Still, like I said, this is not a problem that keeps me awake at night.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I wonder if anyone noticed strange words used in ITTF site? I always thought my english is good enough to read articles. But here some words are taken frome science language or what? Here are some examples just from today:
Thwarted
Scintillating
Incisive

None of these words would be regarded as unusual or archaic to any native English speaker. Unless their only reading material was the Sun newspaper... What that means for non-NES is moot. But I am inclined to oppose dumbing down of the language on principal. I read a couple of other languages, and expect to need to look up some words, or infer meaning from context. The ones that get me worried are more likely to be slang than difficult or long.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Obviously that is not what I am calling for. Read Hemingway. Great example of someone who writes in a style accessible to pretty much anyone without resorting to "X won because X is good". Still, like I said, this is not a problem that keeps me awake at night.

Yes, but then again everything is true at first light.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

Yeah, sorry my answer was a bit over the top for emphasis. I know it's not what you suggested and by "you", I was kind of addressing the whole idea in this post (which I had originally ignored since, as you say, it's not exactly a world-threatening issue). I think I've had too much time on my hands this past couple of weeks. ;)
Cup of coffee, anyone?