• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: UK

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts

Is Hugo Calderano Chinese next biggest threat?

I'm a big fan of hugo calderano. I've always known there was something special about him. When he played Dimitrij Ovcharov in a World Tour event, when he was 16, he lost 4-2, however his power on his loops, his well developed back hand and good ball feeling were showing signs of a making of a champion. He was scouted and joined Ochsenhausen at the age of 17 and on one of his debuts he took out Timo Boll in a 3 nil victory in the Bundesliga. Over time his power on his loop has increased, as well as his bh technique which has become shorter and more refined. His touch and flick have been honed over the last few years and cause all sorts of trouble for his opponents. He has had very close encounters with Jun Mizutani in the World Championships, and lost 3-2, 16-14 to Dimi in the Champions League final. His style is explosive and he tries to over power his opponents.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hugo.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	15704

In the last year he's been playing as the Ochsenhausen number 1 and is doing exceptionally well and is ranked in the top 6 in the German Bundesliga. He was tested in Ochsenhausen for reaction speed and he got by far the highest score out of the Ochsenhausen team, also his ability to solve very difficult mental puzzles quickly like the giant rubix cubes shows he is able to think clearly under pressure and has a very sharp mind.

Ideal for such a tactical game as table tennis.

This tournements hugo has played some of his best table tennis ever, his touch is sublime, his fh powerful and bh loop down the line catching all his opponents off guard.

He defeated Timo Boll, Harimoto and Lin Gaoyuan at the Qatar Open this week. The way he's playing I think he has a 40% chance to best Fan Zhendong today.

If he can keep up this level are we seeing the next threat to Chinese dominance like Timo Boll was to the Chinese 10 years ago?

2. The Following 3 Users Like Table Tennis Reborn's Post:

countrybread (03-12-2018),Mazinho (03-11-2018),safumin (03-12-2018)

3. Top | #2
      says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐

Senior TTD Member Country: Germany

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 64

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 684 Times in 291 Posts
      If Calderano beats FZD today he will be the winner of the casting show "China's next SUPER threat". If he loses against FZD today his career should be over soon though. All depends on his performance today. I expect big fireworks.

4. Top | #3
      says Warp Speed

Senior TTD Member Country: South Korea

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega IV Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Pro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 890 Times in 445 Posts
      I would say 4-1 to FZD. LGY lost because he played so poorly. Harimoto has been out of touch lately. Timo Boll also was off color in his match. So, although Hugo played 20% better than his usual, his rivals played way below theirs. Lets wait for the final !!
      Last edited by drunix80; 03-11-2018 at 09:28 AM.

5. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Poland

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
      lol maybe wait a second and dont hype hugo.
      hugo starts when he was 14 so please don't make thread like this one.

he is pure talent but no pressure on him from fake fans, please
      Last edited by Konrad Bak; 03-11-2018 at 09:35 AM.

6. The Following User Likes Konrad Bak's Post:

Herbert (03-11-2018)

7. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Vietnam

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 67 Times in 51 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by drunix80 View Post
      I would say 4-1 to FZD. LGY lost because he played so poorly. Harimoto has been out of touch lately. Timo Boll also was off color in his match. So, although Hugo played 20% better than his usual, his rivals played way below theirs. Lets wait for the final !!
      agreed. I watched the Hugo vs Lin match and I thought Lin was so much worse than usual. I was not sure if he just had a bad match or Hugo was too dominated and made him look poor. I won't take anything away from Hugo, he played great so far, beyond any expectation. But to judge a player, you need to look at more than one fenomenal tournament. If he can keep this form and has 2-3 more tournaments like this, he is indeed the threat.

8. Top | #6
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Netherlands

Equipment:
      Blade Mazunov
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega Pro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Xylit View Post
      If Calderano beats FZD today he will be the winner of the casting show "China's next SUPER threat". If he loses against FZD today his career should be over soon though. All depends on his performance today. I expect big fireworks.
      I hope you are joking. His career has just started. Even if he never beats a CNT player he can have a great table tennis life. What's wrong with being number twenty in the world? Kreanga is one of my favourite players and he has never been the world number one.

9. The Following User Likes Herbert's Post:

maar (03-12-2018)

10. Top | #7
      says all about Chinese equip

Advanced TTD Member Country: China
      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Orange Sponge)

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 242 Times in 124 Posts
      Don't underestimate the backstage analyzing team of CNT, and all those backstage CNT players who imitate the component as training partners.

Remember Hirano Miu won every Chinese women's team in last year's Asian Championship. (Well she lost to Liu Shiwen in team, but didn't met in singles)
      She was then thoroughly analysed and imitated. To prepare for WTTC 2017 Düsseldorf, four players were arrange to imitate Hirano (Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong, Liu Ming). Hirano was then never able to win any CNT players after that. (11 lost since winning the Asia Cham), until Qatar Open, she won Chen Ke.

Name:	7d478eac2b334bf0913e8f0922a169cb_th.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	15705

I don't think he will win Fan. But even if he wins, I think the biggest threat will still be Timo and Dimi
      Feel free to ask me anything about Chinese equipment... Hurricane, w968, 506, n301....

11. The Following User Likes G_ZHANG's Post:

TTHopeful (03-11-2018)

12. Top | #8
      says Dima... Amazing...

Master TTD Member Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Waldner Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Hurricane 3
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 19 Reviews
      Liked 822 Times in 537 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by G_ZHANG View Post
      Don't underestimate the backstage analyzing team of CNT, and all those backstage CNT players who imitate the component as training partners.

Remember Hirano Miu won every Chinese women's team in last year's Asian Championship. (Well she lost to Liu Shiwen in team, but didn't met in singles)
      She was then thoroughly analysed and imitated. To prepare for WTTC 2017 Düsseldorf, four players were arrange to imitate Hirano (Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong, Liu Ming). Hirano was then never able to win any CNT players after that. (11 lost since winning the Asia Cham), until Qatar Open, she won Chen Ke.

Name:	7d478eac2b334bf0913e8f0922a169cb_th.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	15705

I don't think he will win Fan. But even if he wins, I think the biggest threat will still be Timo and Dimi
      I wonder how much the CNT are studying Hugo now before this final ?