How to boost the CNT contenders?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
There was some discussion in the Qatar 2018 thread on what Calderano should do to become a serious threat to the "big" Chinese players, like e.g. https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17250 - and the main theme was about how the elite non-Chinese should train more among themselves to improve. Initially this post was planned as a rant against the idea of such a stupid elitist club, and how instead to compete against the world dominator you need a solid foundation and big pool of people. More homegrown Kilian Ort's who made it to the German national finals and plays with Darko Jogic who last year took down Dima.
Talent is in abundance, so what makes the difference?
For me in a sense Dima and Calderano have some special or extra dedication to the sport. Sure all pro's work hard, but these two have some extra eagerness. But determination alone does not make you succeed. So what's the secret sauce?
In the TTD podcast with Prause he was talking about the Chinese secret of their success and how he was kind of disappointed to discover it was just hard, hard work.

While there is probably some truth to it, there is also this messy psychological side of professional TT. Like LGL recounts how from that first (?) ZJK game on international stage where he played very poorly but still fought it through, he knew that ZJK had it in him. Fang Bo or LGY on the other hand seem to be considered a bit to "soft" sometimes.

Hope it doesn't sound like kitchen sink psychology, but somehow I think the hardships in the earlier stages of ZJK an ML careers let them mature to the champions they became.

If Dima and Calderano are not up for more, Harimoto will probably be the most advanced persistent threat (APT) to CNT. Let's see.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
I coach at a club with a bunch of former professional players from China. I also lived in China for a few years playing. The formula for success is simple: take thousands of kids, make them practice 50 hours a week and throw out those that do not improve fast enough. At the end of 10 years, you are going some amazing players. You also have several teams of 30-60 people constantly living and training together knowing that if they do not perform, they can be replaced at any time. It is a brutal and harsh system that could only exist in China. It also leaves many players broken mentally and physically. However if you want to have a group of people that can beat the Chinese, that is probably what it is going to take.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
The “Declaration on Safeguarding the Rights of Child Athletes” places the best interests of the child as the guiding principle for any involvement of children in sport. It sets out key principles and action areas in which sport’s stakeholders must work together to ensure sport is always a safe space for children.

World Players is working in partnership with international child rights organisations including Terre des Hommes to monitor and evaluate efforts to safeguard children’s rights in the world of sport. World Players works daily with Terre des Hommes to embed human rights in sport through the Sport and Rights Alliance.
“Children have unique vulnerabilities which demand special protection. We are encouraged to see the player association movement recognising that this protection must extend to professional sport as well,” said Marc Joly, Head of Campaign at Terre des Hommes.

“All too often we see child athletes being denied their right to an education which must develop their personality and talents to the full. We see them being separated from their families at an early age to optimise their training and become victims of abuse at the hands of powerful coaches. Very rarely, however, we hear the children’s voice in elite sport. There is clearly a need to create a space for elite child athletes to be heard and have their opinions respected,”
added Joly.
The “Declaration on Safeguarding the Rights of Child Athletes” also provided the basis for a joint statement of the European Sectoral Social Dialogue Committee for Sport and Active Leisure signed at its plenary meeting today.

World Players Association: Declaration on Safeguarding the Rights of Child Athletes

published on 31 January 2018

lawinsport.com

Comments?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
@berndtjgmann. Fair point. We need to raise fully fledged human beings, too. We need those maybe even more than table tennis champions :p

I think this is ridiculous -- this dogma that we need to recognize the future stars of tomorrow in the cradle and nurture them (or if needed, warp them) into table tennis champions, prima ballerinas or virtuosos before they hit the dreaded age of 10, by which time the tragic truth otherwise strikes us: they have failed their meaningless, achievement-devoid life.

The Chinese might have their way, they clearly can rely on numbers and a massive pool of amazing players as well as a constant renewal of generations from which to pick and nurture the best; it is probably a bad caricature too. The ones who make it to the top must have individual qualities that allow them to carve a path through what would otherwise be a gigantic waste of their time: hours and hours and hours of boring, mindless, repetitive drills.

I'm quite sure that whatever the solution, it's not to force thousands of hours of mindless drills onto a child. I think passion is the fuel, then you need to involve the intellect and critical mind of the player so that they can practice with a purpose. Then you need discipline and hard work and repetition: it takes many, many, many hours just to understand the problem that you have to address and then some more to solve part of it.

Most of us never make it past some point despite years of playing, simply because we don't understand what we lack. If an entire dimension of the sport is flying past me, practicing more-of-the-same is essentially a big waste of time. A good coach/structure can save you a tremendous amount of time by showing you what you're missing (might take a VERY keen eye and good inter-personal skills) and giving you the support you need to learn/progress. In fact, good coaches/structures/players to mimic and pushy parents carry kids all the way up to great heights, provided that the kid is mildly interested (... and remains interested throughout their teen years). But at some point you're no longer a kid and people can't carry you any longer.

If you look at all table tennis champions, they have a form of maturity/lucidity that makes them acknowledge their fundamental limitations/flaws, call them as such (not "o it's my style") and work on them. Waldner kept reinventing his game for years, and the Swedish team as a whole to overcome the Chinese. And Ma Long didn't just say "my backhand[/my mental] isn't top notch, but o well." I think that the less your environment mechanically carries you upwards, the most important it is to take it upon yourself to identify what's holding you back (technical skill? mental? physical aptitude? bad facilities/training conditions? lack of support?) and to fix it.

My bet is it's far from easy.

Anyway, this is all more of a random digression than an answer to the original question. To be realistic: we're talking about professionals. People for whom table tennis is maybe -most likely- a passion, but definitely a job. I don't know what your job is, but do you actually have incentive to become better at it? Do you feel that you have to become the best at it? The very, very best in the world? Ye thought so.

Last edited: