I can't control my serves' spin type

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Whew got to say this is a new one. Never heard of this problem before. I mean backspin & topspin are completely opposite spin types.

I suggest you record yourself here and post your training. Tell us what serve you're going for. That'll be the starting point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
All players have incomplete skills including Ma Long.

I’m sure Ma Long knows exactly what spin he’s putting on his serves. Hell, even I know that, and trust me, if I was a professional I would not have earned much money.

To answer the original question, if you brush the top of the ball, it’s top spin, if you brush the bottom, it’s back spin, and if you brush the sides of the ball it’s side spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think video of you trying to put those spins will help in giving advise .. in corkscrew serves the change is very subtle if you are trying to make it difficult to read so its not too uncommon to not know the exact spin .. however I would say it would not be as drastic as under spin to topspin , it will mostly be the degree of spin and underspin / side , side/top kind of situation ... remembering all of them have side spin anyways ... the only remedy is to practice while ensuring you are hitting something at the other end that tells you what spin it is ..

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
This is the funniest OP I've ever seen on a TT forum. It's not that easy to get heavy topspin on a pendulum serve on purpose, to do it by accident while trying to serve backspin takes genius.

Assuming by "I am serving regularly" you mean fh pendulum serves, the difference may be where in the paddle you are making contact, and at what point in the trajectory of the paddle. If you touch the ball with the tip of the paddle while the paddle is moving down towards the table (early in the swing in other words) you might get heavy backspin/sidespin. If you touch the ball while the paddle is moving up away from the table (late in the swing) you might get topspin/sidespin.

Since you aren't sure what spin you are making, just read it off your opponent's rubber. If he pushes and it pops up, topspin. If it stays low, backspin. If he flicks, then you already know the ball is coming to you with some degree of topspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
This is the funniest OP I've ever seen on a TT forum. It's not that easy to get heavy topspin on a pendulum serve on purpose, to do it by accident while trying to serve backspin takes genius.

Haha, sometimes I try to serve topspin, the ball goes off my racket and I assume it is indeed topspin, my opponent also thinks it is topspin, tries to flick/chop it, the ball goes into the bottom of the net, we are both shocked LOL.

Reactions: BeGo and Ioiettino
I'm playing at Izmir's best club already man :D

That's great!
So what do your coach say about your questions?
Or other players in the club.
Look, its very difficult to give right answers blindly. Here we can't see your play.
All your questions are very easy to disscuss with your clubmates and the coach.

By the way which is the best TT club in Izmir?
I've heard by a freand for the veteran TT club Izvet and I plan to vizit it during my summer vacation on my way to Marmaris.

This user has no status.
That's great!
So what do your coach say about your questions?
Or other players in the club.
Look, its very difficult to give right answers blindly. Here we can't see your play.
All your questions are very easy to disscuss with your clubmates and the coach.

By the way which is the best TT club in Izmir?
I've heard by a freand for the veteran TT club Izvet and I plan to vizit it during my summer vacation on my way to Marmaris.

İzmir Büyükşehir Belediyesi SK dude. Turkish second league and İzmir champion.