Who do you think will win the German Open 2018?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Simon Gauzy

• Tomokazu Harimoto

• Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Richard Prause is commentating on table 1. He is the Sports Director for German table tennis and former German National Coach.
His knowledge about the sport makes it very pleasing for players, to listen. i like.

I was wondering who he was. I like him, too.

Also, props to the German crowd. Watching ML/MJ you'd have the feeling you were missing the match of the century, as the cheers for Ruwen at the next table got so loud. Same thing happened yesterday to a lesser extent, when Calderano / M. Karlsson got outcheered by Walther / K. Karlsson.
Not that the crowd is overly nationalistic, just good old positive, engaged atmosphere. Nice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
no handshake with referees from Freitas

he should blame only his attitude

and Dyjas with "CHINESE EQUIPMENT IS BETTER "
but someone said here that he use h3 xd

the craptain Ma Long

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Yet another opinion from a pro [Dyjas] that equipment makes all the difference.

It just shows European style does not know yet, how to counter it efficiently. I fear, they don't practice enough against the "Chinese rubbers" and the euro/jap style needs to become more athletic imho.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I know it's all in the eye of the beholder, but Mizutani just looks completely doomed from the start, as if he's destined to lose. Tomo, for example, looked far more confident against Fan Zhendong.
Ever heard of Miu Hirano?

She was so cheerful after becoming World Cup holder and ATTC Champion. 6 months down the road, she was crying on national television, mumbling "table tennis is no fun."

When you decide to go against China, be well prepared for the consequences. They will do everything in their power to make your life miserable.

Reactions: PatriciaPinheiro
Jan 2018
Yet, Ishikawa's record against DN and LSW remains at a fat O.

On a serious note, she is under immense pressure to perform. She is now the eldest on the team, at ONLY 25 years old. Numerous TV programs of her makes that a catchphrase. The ABS 40+ has taken a toll on her game and, at her age, she has had much more trouble adapting than her younger teammates. Sayaka Hirano commented Ishikawa is at the same stage as she was several years back when the cellulose acetate 40+ was introduced.

OTOH, the media are starting to wonder if Ishikawa can even secure her spot for Tokyo, referencing S Hirano's retirement at 32 years old, Ai Fukuhara's at 29 years old, and if everything goes as planned, Ishikawa could be playing her last Olympics at 27 years old. The opinions on Japanese major forum 5chan are not all too bright, either.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Oldest or not, I think before Tokyo every member on the Japan team must feel pressure.

What draw my attention was how firm her strokes were against WY. She was able to consistently play those high spiny shots before preparing for the big hit, and then follow on strong attacks. I have never seen her like this before.

Reactions: PatriciaPinheiro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I remember FT had problem with the Singapore team or something like that. It'd be the reason why she has no coach with her or it's not that odd a player who isn't playing against someone from the same association to not have one? (I can't remember from other competitive, I only paid attention now)

Jan 2018
It just shows European style does not know yet, how to counter it efficiently. I fear, they don't practice enough against the "Chinese rubbers" and the euro/jap style needs to become more athletic imho.
From the podcasts and interviews, I get the impression that they have made zero attempt. It's not just for technique and equipment that they think China has an advantage. I've heard multiple times that they feel CNT players are physically stronger than them.

Jan 2018
If everything goes well, I'll see Feng and KASUMI tomorrow in finals
In that case, the odds is against Ishikawa.

She lost more in singles but won more in team. The last time she lost was in the Korea Open 2017.

Jan 2018
What draw my attention was how firm her strokes were against WY. She was able to consistently play those high spiny shots before preparing for the big hit, and then follow on strong attacks. I have never seen her like this before.
That's not surprising. The last time Fukuhara and Ishikawa were eliminated by Wu Yang at German Open 2013, Fukuhara consulted with a Chinese coach, who told them that both of them played too safe against choppers. JTTA then hired 2 full-time choppers from China as training partners and things started to change, at least for Ishikawa.