Who do you think will win the German Open 2018?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Simon Gauzy

• Tomokazu Harimoto

• Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
A TO at that point is usually called just so your player can get a breather and gather his thought, and hopefully to disrupt the flow and streak of the opponent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Timo has never beaten ML in Germany, ever since 2005 German Open when ML first traveled to Germany.
Good game and Timo has to learn what LGY felt when leading 10:5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A TO at that point is usually called just so your player can get a breather and gather his thought, and hopefully to disrupt the flow and streak of the opponent.
Obviously. The point is that it doesn't always make a difference and the coach still has the prerogative to read his player and make a judgement call, as opposed to doing something just as logical and getting second guessed. Timo didn't play any worse in this match vs how he played, even on those points he lost.

Jan 2018
Recall how many matches were drifting away until LGL called the TO and turned the tide.

There're many Chinese articles written on the art of TO. Yup, the art of TO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Even if you have nothing to say, you'll give your player some time to calm down and recover, and break opponent's rhythm.

Timo is an experienced player being managed by an experienced coach (Rosskopf). You don't think they have an agreement about how to handle these things?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
What would you have told Timo to do? No point using the timeout if you have nothing to say.
Ok, let's imagine that he doesn't know what to say to his player.. Then it's time for retirement :)
But it's pretty obvious that even if you don't have a 100% tactical advice than you can help your player relax a little cause he, obviously, feels the pressure after leading 9:4 and loosing 3 points in a row. Help him regain some confidence, also maybe this TO will break the opponents rhythm. This timeout may be a risk - but no timeout can guarantee you anything. And an aggressive timeout is very important cause it shows the determination of the coach.
I may be wrong. But I just can't see a reason why Jorg didn't take a timeout while Timo was loosing all those points on ML's BH serve and on his own serve too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok, let's imagine that he doesn't know what to say to his player.. Then it's time for retirement :)
But it's pretty obvious that even if you don't have a 100% tactical advice than you can help your player relax a little cause he, obviously, feels the pressure after leading 9:4 and loosing 3 points in a row. Help him regain some confidence, also maybe this TO will break the opponents rhythm. This timeout may be a risk - but no timeout can guarantee you anything. And an aggressive timeout is very important cause it shows the determination of the coach.
I may be wrong. But I just can't see a reason why Jorg didn't take a timeout while Timo was loosing all those points on ML's BH serve and on his own serve too.

You may be 100% right and yours is the traditional thinking. But there were times in NBA matches that Phil Jackson would let his team play through tough times where the traditional thinking was that a timeout is needed. Sometimes, it is just about knowing your player and when you think something is wrong. Maybe a more aggressive approach to using timeouts would have made a difference. Sometimes it doesn't. Honestly, in my limited experience, aggressive timeout management tends to favor the BETTER player.

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
The current WR#6 WCT will have a real test in the semifinal to face the current WR#9 <L in the semi, who has just upset the current WR#1 Timo Boll :p

Rain ... you are mixing it up.

WCT is not overrated - #6 sounds good to me.
TB is overrated being #1. Sorry guys for saying it ; )
ML is hugely underrated ...

:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Check the replay. At 16:15 in the last game, it was ML who called TO, not LGZ. And LGZ did not say anything in the last 30s, just watching ML drinking water and wandering himself.
You just need 1 point, and TO is good for calming down rather than planning sth fancy.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Ma Long is Number One, Fan Zhendong is Number Two. This was confirmed in the most recent China Super League. The current ITTF ranking is a fraud that is politically, economically, and nationalistically motivated. The sooner everything gets reconfigured the better. I love how the second tier of players play, both the European and the Chinese players (and Japanese and Korean, etc.), but the real table tennis players KNOW who is number one, and who is number two. I have no problem with anybody beating them consistently and taking their rightful spots. But that is not what has been happening. Ma Long's victory is proving reality once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
You may be 100% right and yours is the traditional thinking. But there were times in NBA matches that Phil Jackson would let his team play through tough times where the traditional thinking was that a timeout is needed. Sometimes, it is just about knowing your player and when you think something is wrong. Maybe a more aggressive approach to using timeouts would have made a difference. Sometimes it doesn't. Honestly, in my limited experience, aggressive timeout management tends to favor the BETTER player.

NextLevel ... : )))
"You are getting close to be on my ... list - just sayin ....." ; )

Jorg overslept it ... big time today.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NextLevel and I actually had a debate on TO last year on Mytt for the match between DO and Matsu-ken at the Bulgarian Open 2017.

And I started a thread on the art of TO with examples and quotes from CNT coaches.

Yes, we did. It's similar to a debate over whether Liu Guoliang made the CNT great or something else is fundamentally at work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Recall how many matches were drifting away until LGL called the TO and turned the tide.

There're many Chinese articles written on the art of TO. Yup, the art of TO.

Yes, he called his timeout to calm his player down not give them tactics. And his player was usually the worse player in the matchup.

Neither of the above was true most of the time. That is my point.

Jan 2018
Gauzy didn't expect himself to play this great.

XU Xin (CHN) after defeating Simon GAUZY (FRA) 4-2 to reach Men’s Singles Semifinals:

“I think I wasn’t well prepared enough at the start of the match. Especially since I haven’t played against him for some time, I know he has improved a lot recently, and that he’s very consistent with his playing style.”

“In the first game, I feel I wasn’t fully ready, and didn’t handle the crucial points carefully enough. After losing 0-2, the whole situation did gave me some pressure, luckily I was mentally prepared to fight till the decider, so I was still able to remain calm. From the third game onwards, I started playing more forehands and that worked.”

About next match against Patrick FRANZISKA:
“He’s playing on home ground, so I believe the atmosphere tomorrow will be great.”

Simon GAUZY:

“Xu Xin doesn’t lose often. I had my chance in the fourth game. I was down 8:5 and then I came back. Xu Xin had a lucky ball at 9:9. He was a bit better every time. He got confidence so finally he made it.”

“Two weeks ago I was still laying in bed quite sick and now I am fighting against one of the best players in the world. I didn’t expect this. But then again I am disappointed because maybe I could have done a bit better.”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Gauzy didn't expect himself to play this great.

I was surprised too. As far as I remember, the last time Gauzy played XX, the latter just outclassed him.

First Hugo, then Dyjas with Fang Bo and now Gauzy (at least fighting). The boys are doing a good job there in Ochsenhausen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ioiettino