Who do you think will win the German Open 2018?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Simon Gauzy

• Tomokazu Harimoto

• Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Boll is notorious for not liking to train and for mostly training by playing or simulating matches. So I don't think he should be fully taken as representative. That said, his POV is still important.

yeah no doubt but the same situation was also with maze and kreanga. After a certain age its becomes evident that it not worth it to train so hard especially when you know that whatever you do the chinese will outplay you eventually either with their numbers, training methods, studying you or whatever. So my perspective is that after they get to realize what they give to table tennis and what table tennis gives back then most of europe players either top or not just choose to maintain their level through "maintenance" training rather than "improvement" training which is a hard and long procedure

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
yeah no doubt but the same situation was also with maze and kreanga. After a certain age its becomes evident that it not worth it to train so hard especially when you know that whatever you do the chinese will outplay you eventually either with their numbers, training methods, studying you or whatever. So my perspective is that after they get to realize what they give to table tennis and what table tennis gives back then most of europe players either top or not just choose to maintain their level through "maintenance" training rather than "improvement" training which is a hard and long procedure

No this was when he was younger as well. The speculation was that he was always injured and that this limited his practice. But the other viewpoint was that he just didn't enjoy training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I recalled Adam said, XX told him last year that he and ML have practiced new tricks for exhibition point and they want to show it if they have a chance on World Tour. Hopefully today

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
No this was when he was younger as well. The speculation was that he was always injured and that this limited his practice. But the other viewpoint was that he just didn't enjoy training.

That's pretty interesting, I dont remember which podcast was it but I was shocked because the euro player interviewed said that in europe they dont practice multiballs much or something like "once twice per week" because its too tiring and mentally draining when you have champions league, national league, pro tours to attend and 2 training sessions per day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I felt like during his match with Franziska, XX almost totally relied on being better in the looping game (more consistent/ faster) instead of dominating him near the table. I don't want to fanboy too hard, but I think Timo Boll would have beaten him convincingly with that.

I don't think that Ma Long is getting slower, it looked more like his stamina isn't at 100% again yet.

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Ma Long the champ!

29541399_10155689822349332_6904465150818663430_n.jpg

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
LGL has commented European players don't push themselves enough. Gatien held a similar view for his young countrymen, that they don't train hard enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I recalled Adam said, XX told him last year that he and ML have practiced new tricks for exhibition point and they want to show it if they have a chance on World Tour. Hopefully today

Too bad they didnt..
In fact - me being among them, I would leave 2 sets for exhibition stuff!
First 2 games making full of exhibition - and leave it 1:1 and after that the match begins, as a BO5 ;)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
A little over 4 years ago, at the Korea Open 2013, veteran Suh Hyowon edged out the spring chicken Ishikawa 4:3, and made a name for herself with that first tour title.

Fast-forward to today, against a desperate Ishikawa, will Suh Hyowon manage a miracle?

The answer is a big NO.

Last edited: