WI'll DHS build a custom blade

This user has no status.
Will DHS build a custom blade

I'm currently using the DHS Hao 3 blade and it is amazing. But I have a idea that may work better for me as far as my style of play.

The outer layer of the blade is Koto, and I want to change it to a softer wood like maybe limba. I'm a shakehand spin oriented, loop drive player. Forehand and backhand. I also enjoy lobbing with heavy side or top spin.

My question is does anyone know if DHS will customize, or better, modify one of its existing blades to my personal preference?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
My first thought was that there is probably an existing blade that fits your requirements, but I can only find one other mono-carbon blade from DHS (I am sure there must be others) and that is the cheaper version of the Hao III, the PG13, also koto outer. There aren't many 4+1 ply blades, but you could probably have one made by a custom maker.

I am tempted to suggest a W968 or Long 5. Philosophical relations.

This user has no status.
My first thought was that there is probably an existing blade that fits your requirements, but I can only find one other mono-carbon blade from DHS (I am sure there must be others) and that is the cheaper version of the Hao III, the PG13, also koto outer. There aren't many 4+1 ply blades, but you could probably have one made by a custom maker.

I am tempted to suggest a W968 or Long 5. Philosophical relations.

I have a Long 5 as well. I played with it for about a year until I got the Hao 3. The long 5 is a bit harder and heavier. A great blade, but just a bit too hard and heavy for my comfort. The hao 3 is nearly perfect for me in terms of weight and control, but I would like to see how a softer outer ply wood plays on the hao 3.

Any suggestions as to where I might find a reputable custom blade maker. One who could possibly clone the hao 3 with the softer outer wood ply. I'm not a wood expert and there may be a better outer ply. But limba I've heard is one of the softer outer ply woods used on blades. And from my research it's pretty good for spin and dwell.

This user has no status.
If you’re a pro player from CNT then yes. But I guess you wouldn’t be asking that if you were, so no, you can’t. However, you can probably find a blade of similar construction but with a different outer layer somewhere.

You're absolutely right. Lol I'm not a CNT member, but who knows. I might get to the super league one day. Lol (NOT)! But I'll do my best to keep getting better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I have a Long 5 as well. I played with it for about a year until I got the Hao 3. The long 5 is a bit harder and heavier. A great blade, but just a bit too hard and heavy for my comfort. The hao 3 is nearly perfect for me in terms of weight and control, but I would like to see how a softer outer ply wood plays on the hao 3.

Any suggestions as to where I might find a reputable custom blade maker. One who could possibly clone the hao 3 with the softer outer wood ply. I'm not a wood expert and there may be a better outer ply. But limba I've heard is one of the softer outer ply woods used on blades. And from my research it's pretty good for spin and dwell.

There are blade makers active on the forums, either this one or OOAK or MyTT. Incidentally, I find myself preferring the koto outer 301 over the limba equivalent, so it is all very much taste differences. Also, if you have an older Long 5, it may have a much bigger head than the newer ones, which will thus be lighter.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
There are blade makers active on the forums, either this one or OOAK or MyTT. Incidentally, I find myself preferring the koto outer 301 over the limba equivalent, so it is all very much taste differences. Also, if you have an older Long 5, it may have a much bigger head than the newer ones, which will thus be lighter.

I happen to play with a custom blade, built by DA Blades and can heartily recommend. I haven’t had a single loss with it (12 consecutive straight wins on a single day in a heavy tournament, even), but more importantly, it’s a joy to play with. I’d go that way again if for some or other reason I’d think it should be slighty more this or that.

I love the Koto outer ply, but also have a side with Anegre outer and love that too. Koto is just a bit zestier, but Anegre has just a bit more bite to it.

Well, that’s my $.02 anyway.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
I happen to play with a custom blade, built by DA Blades and can heartily recommend. I haven’t had a single loss with it (12 consecutive straight wins on a single day in a heavy tournament, even), but more importantly, it’s a joy to play with. I’d go that way again if for some or other reason I’d think it should be slighty more this or that.

I love the Koto outer ply, but also have a side with Anegre outer and love that too. Koto is just a bit zestier, but Anegre has just a bit more bite to it.

Well, that’s my $.02 anyway.

I don't think I've ever tried anigre wood before. I guess the choices for outer ply woods are endless. As plentiful and exhausting as a person trying to find the right rubber to play with. Lol I've been down that road!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
There a whole host of outer plies that could be used aside from limba. I have 25+ different veneers That I could use as a top ply. So far I’ve only made 8 blades, and used 5 or 6 top plies. It all depends on how fast you want it, how stiff you want, how much rebound you want from the wood, etc etc. limba is just one of many options. Limba is a soft but very stiff wood (I.e it isn’t very elastic). Also factoring in is what medial ply you pair up with the top ply, what core you use, if it is a carbon blade, where the carbon sits (above the medial ply, or above the core as in a butterfly inner force blade).

This user has no status.
There a whole host of outer plies that could be used aside from limba. I have 25+ different veneers That I could use as a top ply. So far I’ve only made 8 blades, and used 5 or 6 top plies. It all depends on how fast you want it, how stiff you want, how much rebound you want from the wood, etc etc. limba is just one of many options. Limba is a soft but very stiff wood (I.e it isn’t very elastic). Also factoring in is what medial ply you pair up with the top ply, what core you use, if it is a carbon blade, where the carbon sits (above the medial ply, or above the core as in a butterfly inner force blade).

I'm looking for limba (or a soft wood), ayous, fiberglass carbon or Kevlar carbon, ayous, limba. 4+1 composition. The carbon layer is the core with two layers of wood on each side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
maybe tibhar stratus carbon?

it doesnt have fibre centre ply but it might be similar, but stiffer/faster

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I'm looking for limba (or a soft wood), ayous, fiberglass carbon or Kevlar carbon, ayous, limba. 4+1 composition. The carbon layer is the core with two layers of wood on each side.

That's a bizarre combination that i wasn't even aware was legal. ITTF rules (2.4.2 in the 2018 handbook) state that "At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesivelayer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbonfibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% ofthe total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller."

I'd be very curious what the thickness of the other 4 plies are with a maximum of a .35mm thickness core glass fibre layer. That's a very unique composition i'd never considered when making a blade. Good knowledge to have for the future. Perhaps they've used something like 2mm ayous layers around that glass fibre core, and then a typical .6mm veneer as the koto outer layer for something like a 5.5-5.6mm blade thickness. Glad to see DHS is pushing the boundaries a bit on composition. Butterfly just does the same thing over and over and rebrands it as something new it seems with many of their blades.

This user has no status.
Reactions: Simas