Penhold index finger placement

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I agree with zeio - if you haven't sanded the wings (the edges of the blade near the handle where your thumb and index finger) - do so for comfort ... you don't want to be hitting and then feel discomfort and have it alter your stroke or enjoyment of playing TT

I agree with suds79, ultimately it's what is comfortable for you. Not all players are the same. There may be a standard that one should approach, but I truly believe what is comfortable for you in the long run is what matters. However, humans are very adaptable, if you find you can RPB with the index finger curled around the handle, then go for it!

Take this FWIW ... in USATT ratings, i'm about 1500-1600 probably, a little more advanced than a beginner but nowhere near the skill level of members songdavid98, James Livesay or suds79 and others on this thread. I have had a 32 yrs break, am 53 now and started playing again at 50. As my handle says, I'm an oldschool PH... the TPB is in my muscle memory despite the long break. Love to punch ('push-block'). Only within the last year did i even entertain the idea of learning RPB and only the past ~6 months did i slowly and deliberately self-learn it and try to override my hardwired TPB.

I dont regret my TPB, but I agree with suds as you are only playing for a few months. Learn the RPB and master that, it gives a better and/or easier tool to many different incoming shots. My ultimate fantasy is playing like Ma Lin and effectively play both TPB and RPB ... LOL at me!

Good luck in your grip and training!

Last edited: