Why is European Top 16 Cup included in ITTF ranking but not The China Super League?

This user has no status.
Then why is the Europe Top 16 included for points and ranking in the ITTF?
The chinese superleague is a national league whereas the european top 16 is a tournament. The european top 16 is more comparable to an ittf world tour event or continental games than a national league.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews

I don't know exactly how all things work, but I assume the national leagues are organized and governed by national federations and ITTF has nothing to do with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Continental qualifiers for the World Cup are ranked/rated by the ITTF. The Europe top 16 is this kind of tournament as is the Asian Cup, African Cup or North American Cup.

National leagues are not. Examples are the Bundesliga, French league, Chinese super league etc.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The most prominent example is football and rugby where you have England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland representing the UK.

China is technically fielding multiple teams as well, Hong Kong and Macau(for historical reasons retain their rights to represent in international competitions) and last but not least, Chinese Taipei(though many of our fellow countrymen think otherwise), and strictly speaking the "overseas factions" originally born and trained in China.

China used to hold 2 Opens each year several years back.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
A key word here is international (ITTF= InternationalTableTennisFederation). If you don´t compete internationaly why should you have ittf rating?

The European Cup is similar to the Asian Cup. I am more concerned with the imbalance of Chinese representation in the ITTF. There are 50 world class players in the Super League who are not even listed with the ITTF.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
A key word here is international (ITTF= InternationalTableTennisFederation). If you don´t compete internationaly why should you have ittf rating?
Which is why ITTF should hold more competitions in China. Table Tennis has shifted to China. ITTF is behind the times. The ITTF is out of sync. Table Tennis was a Eurocentric sport decades ago, but no more. The vast majority of table tennis players, like hundreds of millions, live and play in China. The "international" federation needs to go where the action is. It's time to expand our sport. Go East young man. This could also have the effect of reinvigorating table tennis in Europe (I hope). I love the idea from the new T League in Japan, that instant slo-mo replay becomes part of the game. Instant translation, like at the UN would be good too. More live interviews with the handsome and beautiful players would be good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
Thank you for calling me a young man, I do appriciate that.

China has allways been leading country when it comes to popularity of tt. Europe had an advantage when speedglueing was invented and at the same time there was a supertalented generation of players in Europe. I see your point and I do agree that expanding our lovely sport is a good thing. However I´m not sure that ITTf can do too much about it. Everybody knows that there are hundreds of players in China who would be competitive in international scene. If ITTF would arrange more tournaments in China how many Chinese players would participate those international events compairing current situation? I can´t see that China would or could send let´s say 50 or 100 of their own players to those competitions. And even if they would, what would be the point of that if those two tournamets are onlyones that those players would participate?
I also really like these new leagues and it´s great that the best european players have been able to participate the super league. But it would be really difficult for ITTF make a breakthrough in China without a major help of the country it self.

Which is why ITTF should hold more competitions in China. Table Tennis has shifted to China. ITTF is behind the times. The ITTF is out of sync. Table Tennis was a Eurocentric sport decades ago, but no more. The vast majority of table tennis players, like hundreds of millions, live and play in China. The "international" federation needs to go where the action is. It's time to expand our sport. Go East young man. This could also have the effect of reinvigorating table tennis in Europe (I hope). I love the idea from the new T League in Japan, that instant slo-mo replay becomes part of the game. Instant translation, like at the UN would be good too. More live interviews with the handsome and beautiful players would be good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
...If ITTF would arrange more tournaments in China how many Chinese players would participate in those international events compairing current situation? I can´t see that China would or could send let´s say 50 or 100 of their own players to those competitions. And even if they would, what would be the point of that if those two tournamets are only ones that those players would participate?...
China is changing at a whirlwind pace in front of our eyes. Chinese Table Tennis will soon be the arena of Chinese corporations, think Seamaster, Double Happiness, Li-Ning, etc These Chinese corporations would pick up up sponsorship of the expanded Chinese players in the ITTF to get them around the world. And plane tickets and hotels in China are cheaper every day, so non-Chinese players would play in any new ITTF Opens in China, for points and exposure. (plus a trip to China just for the new bullet trains is worth it). As soon as companies and cities figure out ways to make money from the additional 50 Chinese players and four more Opens, the business dudes will appear.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wait. Isn’t it the CNT and the Chinese government who decides which players they ALLOW to play in International tournaments? Doesn’t CNT limit which players get international ranking?

Sorry, this just seems like another one of those political agenda issues.

And it is interesting how some players who are very strong in competition within China do not always do as well as one might expect when placed in the international arena.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Wait. Isn’t it the CNT and the Chinese government who decides which players they ALLOW to play in International tournaments? Doesn’t CNT limit which players get international ranking?

Sorry, this just seems like another one of those political agenda issues.
it's not politics, it's common sense. Sending players all the way to Europe costs a whole lot of money, especially by Chinese standards (by that I mean GDP per capita). It is also probably true that there are as many players in China as there are in all other countries combined. I'd be all for hosting a couple more ITTF Opens in China every year.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
it's not politics, it's common sense. Sending players all the way to Europe costs a whole lot of money, especially by Chinese standards (by that I mean GDP per capita). It is also probably true that there are as many players in China as there are in all other countries combined. I'd be all for hosting a couple more ITTF Opens in China every year.
And it would be really easy to add a few more in China. Right now, Europe has 16 Opens, China has one.
Hungarian
Polish
German
Spanish
Croatian
Bulgarian
Czech
Luxembourg
Serbian
Slovakian
Belgian
Swedish
Austrian
Slovenian
Finnish
Byelorussian

I love these opens, I'd just like to see also:
all-China
Beijing
Shanghai
Guangzho
Chunquin
to cover the over 200 million players in China.

Last edited: