Training top spin by the return board

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018

Hello~ world!!
My name is Jake.
I live in Korea.
I practiced top spin drive and other skills by the return board.
It is very useful for me to practice basic skill alone.
It makes good swing form and improve sense of touching ball.
Thank you for watching.
Give me your advice to me please.
I will upload more clips.
c u later. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Pretty cool.

I've contemplated making a return board myself as my robot is quickly dying.

Anyways, what is or where do you get the hardware for the tilting section that you tighten down by handle to hold the angle.

Are those white, dry erase board frames you used? If you have a description of how you made the return boards, i'd be all ears.

Thanks for the videos. Good work.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
Pretty cool.
I've contemplated making a return board myself as my robot is quickly dying.

Wally Rebounder recently released a board for around $200 so they have come down in price. I bought one but do not work for the company or represent them in any way. I just thought you might want to know that building one for yourself is not really necessary.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wally Rebounder recently released a board for around $200 so they have come down in price. I bought one but do not work for the company or represent them in any way. I just thought you might want to know that building one for yourself is not really necessary.

Wily I think the Wally rebounder looks really nice, I think I can build one of these for significantly less. I just need to be able to find out what that hardware is or how that works as far as tilting the board and tightening it in place.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
Wily I think the Wally rebounder looks really nice, I think I can build one of these for significantly less. I just need to be able to find out what that hardware is or how that works as far as tilting the board and tightening it in place.

The two poles at the end are very much like tripods for a camera but not cheap ones as the board between the two is Masonite and while not super heavy it is not really light either. The rubber on the Masonite is table tennis rubber but probably no more than $10 per sheet but there are a dozen sheet or so.

I was looking to make one of my own but I figure $25 for each stand (using cheap tripods) for a total of $50 and $10 for the plywood between them and then $100 for the rubber sheets and I was already pretty close to what I found this premade one was selling for. And remember there are still a couple of fixtures to allow the board to be angled which is the hard part - and I am always amazed in hardware stores by what fixtures go for. I just took the eay way out - but missed all the "fun?" of building it myself.

The fixtures screw into threaded braces on the back of the board but then the tilt of the fixture is controlled by a tightening nut which you finger tighten or loosen to tilt the board forward and back. It is not a fixture I have seen laying around in a hardware store so you would probably have to combine two different ones to make each side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It looks like the return boards are working for you. I can see your return boards are adjustable, that makes a HUGE difference.
Some people have mentioned putting LP on the return boards. I think that would be interesting but not for normal practice.
Perhaps the whole return board can be replaced on the stand so one can switch between LP and something else.

What I don't like is that the balls are coming back too high and slow. The balls will always come back slower than what you hit them but faster rubber would make the balls come back faster obviously. I would try short pips rubber with little or no sponge for a faster and lower return.

This user has no status.
What I don't like is that the balls are coming back too high and slow. The balls will always come back slower than what you hit them but faster rubber would make the balls come back faster obviously. I would try short pips rubber with little or no sponge for a faster and lower return.

I think as the rubber wears out I will replace them with random different rubbers (fast, slow, tacky, anti, long po, short po, etc.) so the return will be random and force me to respond to it for a more realistic practice.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Can you set it up over the table such that it will return a backspin serve with a short push? That would be useful.

This user has no status.
Hi Everyone - This is Richard. My partner Matt and I make the Wally Rebounder and saw it mentioned in the thread. Jake, Awesome videos showing your skills with the board you are using!

Obviously, I'm a bit biased on this one, but return boards are a great way to develop some skill and build consistency especially when a partner or coach is not always available. Matt and I are also big DIYers and fans of cool DIY projects - we've seen a few DIY return board builds that are pretty nice. It's useful to be able to position the board behind the table so I would advise some kind of stand vs. just setting the board on the table. Playing around with different rubber is fun, but for a basic build, you can find some decent Chinese rubber online for several bucks each and put them on a fairly high density board (hardboard with a stiffener works well as does high density plywood like baltic birch). - I've seen a few people use TV/monitor stands as a way to hold the board and a few others use hinges for the tilting with some mechanism to lock it in a various tilt angles. Also please make sure whatever stand you use or build is stable and won't tip over with the board tilted in different positions.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and contribute to the discussion. If you have any questions about Return Boards in general or about the Wally Rebounder feel free to PM me!

Last edited: