Chasing China - Prologue and Part 1 "The Chinese National Team"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Chasing China - Prologue and Part 1 "The Chinese National Team"

[Prologue]
There was another similar topic which went into politics ...
I've decided to actually create a series of topics, based on the great article[1] provided by @Tropical. Having more specific subjects should better protect us form moving out of the table tennis realms.
Although it is quite an old paper (2005), I think its points are quite good and still valid.

[Why]
Because CNT is the best or ... "because it's there" (see the history of Mountaineering : )

The article contains several paragraphs which titles are:

1. The Chinese National Team
2. National Team Selection
3. Training
4. Specialized Practice Partners
5. Two-on-One Practice Partners
6. Mental and Tactical Training
7. The Development of a Chinese Player
8. Chinese Technique

I intend to create about 8 threads over some period of time, each named after those paragraphs titles. I hope you'd like to express your opinion.

[Part 1]
"The Chinese National Team"

"[...] Chinese team has more depth than any other team in the world. The primary training center is in Beijing. The team is made up of 96 players – 24 men, 24 women, 24 boys and 24 girls.
Players are given “tryouts” early on, usually with trips to major tournaments in Europe or elsewhere, to see how they do internationally. From this, the Chinese judge if this player has the potential to become a star.
A huge advantage China has comes from their depth. If a player on the national team isn’t working hard, doesn’t do well internationally, or has technical flaws hurting their progress, there is always another “hungry” player with potential on the outside waiting to get in. [...]" [1]

Main points:
- CNT is quite large (24 players), and organizes regular training.
- There is a great depth of great players waiting for their chance just to enter the CNT.

My previous topic tried to answer it in one way (EU countries cooperating closer) and I probably should not expect a big discussion on this one, but who knows. Maybe you'll have other interesting ideas, what lesson can this be for other countries? Do the rest of the world still has any chance in this department? What could be a possible, even partial, remedy to this?

NOTE! We are not trying to change China! We are looking for Positive solutions on the other side (rest of the world ; )

[1] http://www.masatenisi.org/english/secrets.htm
THE SECRETS OF CHINESE TABLE TENNIS
And what the rest of the world needs to do to catch up
By Larry Hodges and Cheng Yinghua - USATT Magazine July/August 2005

Last edited: