Best throw angle for beginner players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hard bats! The inverted game is very fast. Hard bat play is a little slower and encourages footwork and a better feel for how to hit the ball since there is no sponge.

OK, throw rocks.

A rubber I liked when getting started was Reflectoid. It isn't fast but not as slow as zeropong says it is. Reflectoid is good for close to the table play and is excellent for making slow spinny loops. I think I would characterize Reflectoid as medium high throw because the spin to speed ratio is pretty high.

Faster rubbers are obviously required to get the ball past good players that can play deep but we are talking about beginners that will mostly block, push and hit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
(1) Throw angle is not a basic property of rubber. That is, it is not a tangible property that can be scientifically measured through lab test like the friction of the surface(how tacky/grippy) or sponge hardness, but rather a property generated from subjective reviews. The most reasonable description I have ever come across is that throw angle is a ratio between spin/speed generated on an average loop. This also corresponds to the trend that rubbers that are designed for spin(soft/tacky/slow&spinny) are highly rated for throw angle on Revspin.

(2) Throw angle is relative. People describe each rubber's throw angle based on the comparison to another rubber they have used. People who have used Vega Intro will say that Mark V has a high throw angle. Even though sites like Revspin exists, please note that each player tends to have a preferred groups of equipment they like. For example, people who play with tacky rubber will most likely have played with other tacky rubbers before. A review of Mark V might be faster than it actually is because the person making the review will probably have gotten Mark V as the first rubber on a custom setup, thus it is more spinny/faster than shitty premades etc.

(3) Here is a reasonable throw angle article.

(4) Using a higher throw rubber doesn't mean you can't keep your shots low. You can still adjust your stroke to produce nearly the same trajectory as you would with another rubber, thus throw angle shouldn't matter too much.

(5) However, if a rubber is rated to the extreme(extremely low throw angle, or extremely high throw angle), it would also imply that the rubber is either (1) very sensitive to spin(high throw--Baracuda, Tenergy 05) (2) not designed for the spin game(low throw - Rasanter V series, Bryce speed). Thus you should avoid them as a beginner, not because they are bad, but because they are better suited for people already have a clear idea about how they want to play their game.

Very Short Summary: Doesn't matter, just don't get the extremes.