How to beat a speedy wonderkid?

This user has no status.
Table tennis is not about age, height, weight or gender etc. It is about Skills training and dedication and more. If your opponent has more training and exposures to tournaments and with a proper coaching and mental training he or she will be hard to get beaten or win against him/her. Practice and get train. Watching some training videos will also help you. Positive thinking...

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
So: Ignore everything that's written here;
For none of it will help, I fear.

tt is less than razor thin.
And who cares whether you lose
Or win?

Chickadees don't dig tt.
They'd rather watch batchelers
On tv.

But Alpay if you still want to play
Then listen to what Baal once had to say.

tt is tough; oh don't ask why.
Harden the off up: adapt or die.

Except for the word chickadee, I really wish I had written this.

HTFU!

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I doubt Baal wrote what he wrote just because of a "bad day".

Baal is being very realistic and frank open in my view.

It is a Zen message actually. Win by knowing that winning is meaningless, and only losing has less meaning.

And I again emphasize that chicks don't dig TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
There is one reliable way to beat young wonder kids. Use heavy chops like a defender. Harimoto had trouble with all the defenders JSH or Filus for example.

You have to be really good to do that - I'm assuming wonder kid did spend some time already practicing his loops against backspin.

One thing these kids are not that good at: playing against pips in general (not necessarily chops per se). They simply did not have enough exposure to LP yet, so they happily loop LP pushes long, put LP bumps into the net, and pop up LP serves. This won't last forever, though. So - general prescription is not to play their game, which typically involves a lot of FH-FH or BH-BH exchanges they already drilled into near perfection. Slow it down, mess with their timing, play weird angles and spins. It probably will work for now, but not for long.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin