Anna Carin Ahlquist vs TableTennisDaily's Dan | Wheelchair Match!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey guys,

Last month I traveled to Sweden to watch the spectacular showdown between Jan Ove Waldner and Paralympic champion Anna-Carin Ahlquist in a wheelchair match! Anna-Carin is a class 3 Paralympic table tennis player who won gold in London 2012!

During the event I also took on Anna in a 1 set showdown and asked her thoughts of her upcoming battle with Jan Ove Waldner! Watch the 1 set showdown below and also Anna vs Waldner here. Enjoy!

Anna is a true inspiration and one of the most dedicated and focused players I've ever watched!

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
i was wonder before ...whats the rules ...when they play on wheelchair or /nor one leg/ or other ... whats the difference here between multiple types of ...... injuries or what to call it Olympic tournament ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
To play in a para event, you will need a classification in to class 1-5 (sitting) og 6-10 (standing).
There is an international para classification code for all sports, and special rules for table tennis. When you start to compete, you will get a classification and will be allocated to your class. In the classification they will take in to account a medical diagnostics form from a doctor, and "on the day" test of 26 different elements. You will get a classification card. From time to time it will be reviewed, and you might find your self in an other class.

It might happen that a player has started out competing sitting in national events, but get allocated in to a standing class on international level.

So how do you know if you are class 3 or 4? I think you need to be a trained classificator to know the answer. It is medical, and at least for me rather complicated.

http://www.ipttc.org/
http://www.ipttc.org/classification/documents.htm

Reactions: Dan and bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
i was wonder before ...whats the rules ...when they play on wheelchair or /nor one leg/ or other ... whats the difference here between multiple types of ...... injuries or what to call it Olympic tournament ?
In our club the highest ranked player is a Paralympics silver medalist. He'd totally destroy me. Most notable changes I saw: no short services allowed and in doubles the players do not need to take turns. That is bit irritating in league play, when he and his non-disabled partner play against a usual pair that needs to take turns.

You could also read up https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_table_tennis

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
In our club the highest ranked player is a Paralympics silver medalist.
That must be Schmidberger then :p

A team mate of mine is a class 3 Paralympic table tennis player as well. European Champion, World Champion (Schmidberger's team partner), Olympic medalist etc. Participates in league matches against regular non-disabled players, his USATT would easily be above 2000. He is one of the best wheelchair players playing against non-disabled players.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
That looked extremely difficult for Dan to play against. I am surprised Waldner won after watching this.

Yeah it was extremely difficult, I struggled playing from a backhand to forehand in enough time. Anna's tactics were so effective to, going to my elbow then to the corners. I interviewed Anna's coach after the match and even he said I was so impressed with how well Waldner adapted to the game. He said Jan Ove picked it up fast. It was an amazing day and Anna is a true inspiration, an incredible dedicated lady.

In our club the highest ranked player is a Paralympics silver medalist. He'd totally destroy me. Most notable changes I saw: no short services allowed and in doubles the players do not need to take turns. That is bit irritating in league play, when he and his non-disabled partner play against a usual pair that needs to take turns.

You could also read up https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_table_tennis

He sounds awesome! I didn't know that in doubles, I would love to see what its like to play against. With that rule i'm surprised players don't hit one another going for the same shot at the same time?

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
With that rule i'm surprised players don't hit one another going for the same shot at the same time?
That needs a bit of experience. Moreover, none of the two partners is allowed to cross (step / roll over) an imaginary line in the middle of them, like an extension of the table's middle line on the floor. They are allowed to reach over to the other side and play a shot there though...

If such a doubles is operating well together it is extremely hard to beat them, even if their opponents have a few hundred TTR points more each.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
That needs a bit of experience. Moreover, none of the two partners is allowed to cross (step / roll over) an imaginary line in the middle of them, like an extension of the table's middle line on the floor. They are allowed to reach over to the other side and play a shot there though...

If such a doubles is operating well together it is extremely hard to beat them, even if their opponents have a few hundred TTR points more each.
Yes, I usually see him winning with whomever he teams up.

He's playing there: