New Rule Approved! Table Tennis to use a pink coloured ball!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am excited about this change. DHS is sending me a batch of the new pink D40+ ASAP. Trouble is, it seems that, so far, each company has a slightly different shade of pink. And I think ITTF is concerned to have everyone get the color right.

But I’m also told that ITTF is going to ensure that the balls from each company have to be distinctly different enough in bounce and spin characteristics in order to make it harder to adjust from one brand ball to the next. They decided that, to date, this was too easy an adjustment.

In conjunction with this move, ITTF plans to change ball brand randomly throughout matches so that, from one point to the next, players have trouble adjusting to the change of ball.

The ITTF says they are doing this to increase fairness in the sport and to bring down the overall level of play so that the sport is more viewer friendly for the television audience.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I've read somewhere that yellow would provide the best contrast and visibility. To be honest I would welcome more colors: orange (loved them in celluloid era), yellow, magenta, pink, mauve, neon, whatever... Clubs with less than ideal wall colors would welcome it.

I think it's a shame that after so many years (what, 3 by now?) we still only have different shades of white to choose from.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
(UpSideDownCarl). The ITTF says they are doing this to increase fairness in the sport and to bring down the overall level of play so that the sport is more viewer friendly for the television audience.

Balls.

You will find no more zealous advocate than I for increasing fairness in a sport that snatched me from my first love, tennis nearly six decades ago, but April fools' joke or no April fools' joke I don't think that anything like coloring ping pong balls pink is gonna come anywhere close to making pong any fairer or more sensible or more viewer friendly.

Maybe making the table a lot larger as was proposed by the ITTF same time last year. Hey Justin, a double shot of Mylanta. On the rocks.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
(UpSideDownCarl). The ITTF says they are doing this to increase fairness in the sport and to bring down the overall level of play so that the sport is more viewer friendly for the television audience.

Balls.

You will find no more zealous advocate than I for increasing fairness in a sport that snatched me from my first love, tennis nearly six decades ago, but April fools' joke or no April fools' joke I don't think that anything like coloring ping pong balls pink is gonna come anywhere close to making pong any fairer or more sensible or more viewer friendly.

Maybe making the table a lot larger as was proposed by the ITTF same time last year. Hey Justin, a double shot of Mylanta. On the rocks.

berndtjgmann, have you used all the new plastic balls? The old DHS ones that have a different bounce every time as though there was a Mexican jumping bean inside the ball, the seamless which have a consistent bounce that is totally different than any of the seamed balls, the D40+ which are good and consistent but don't feel like you can get much spin on them etc, etc. Have you heard pros complaining about how each different ball plays SOOOOO differently and they cannot adjust to different brands of balls unless they have enough time to train with the specific ball?

Now imagine if, one point the pros were using the Nittaku Premium, then next point one of the seamless balls, then the original DHS 40+ with the crazy bounce, then the DHS D40+ then the Nittaku Sha ball. Perhaps they could slip in a few of those practice balls that are shaped like eggs. We would all be very entertained as the top players in the world keep missing what look like they should be easy shots. High bounce, low bounce, erratic bounce.

Hence increasing fairness in the sport and making the sport more viewer friendly. :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I am excited about this change. DHS is sending me a batch of the new pink D40+ ASAP. Trouble is, it seems that, so far, each company has a slightly different shade of pink. And I think ITTF is concerned to have everyone get the color right.

But I’m also told that ITTF is going to ensure that the balls from each company have to be distinctly different enough in bounce and spin characteristics in order to make it harder to adjust from one brand ball to the next. They decided that, to date, this was too easy an adjustment.

In conjunction with this move, ITTF plans to change ball brand randomly throughout matches so that, from one point to the next, players have trouble adjusting to the change of ball.

The ITTF says they are doing this to increase fairness in the sport and to bring down the overall level of play so that the sport is more viewer friendly for the television audience.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This made me giggle, imagine the uproar :DDDD

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
We can't have players sand-papering the ball for extra spin!

(It's not for extra spin, you rough up one half of the ball for extra movement at 90 degrees to the usual spin. So e.g. if you are bowling pure bottom spin, you rough up the left half of the ball, and the ball will move left *as well* as the usual effect due to the bottom spin. In cricket they are normally using some variation of corkscrew spin, bottom or bottom-corkscrew for fast bowlers, and heavier top-corkscrew for spin bowlers)

This user has no status.
Yes, the Australian has to explain this haha - the Australian cricket team just got caught cheating doing this. Huge scandal. Though, its a bit like boosting in TT, it goes on a lot...you are allowed to "clean" the ball with your shirt or a towel, but everyone on the team will only ever clean one half of the ball...sandpaper is too far though!

I feel like cricket bowling tactics are very similar to serving in TT, the psychology, rhythm, setting up and breaking the pattern, spin deception etc. Back to TT haha

This user has no status.
Yes, the Australian has to explain this haha - the Australian cricket team just got caught cheating doing this. Huge scandal. Though, its a bit like boosting in TT, it goes on a lot...you are allowed to "clean" the ball with your shirt or a towel, but everyone on the team will only ever clean one half of the ball...sandpaper is too far though!

I feel like cricket bowling tactics are very similar to serving in TT, the psychology, rhythm, setting up and breaking the pattern, spin deception etc. Back to TT haha
Hahaha thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if it would work in TT if we used sandpaper to clean "old" balls whether they would start spinning more like cell balls!

Pink neon yellow lime green purple red orange blue cyan coloured official TT balls would've been awesome!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The scandal is technically for other reasons. Normally in cricket when you start off , the ball swings or moves towards the non shiny side because the air friction is more on that side ( think of a baseball without the round seams but one with 6 seams around the equator with the bowling side keeping one side shiny and another side not quite maintained ) .... however, what happens is that after a while the ball loses the lacquer over all and it stops swinging. Now we need to keep in mind because of financial reasons cricket has increasingly become a batsman's game in that the rules are heavily loaded in favor of the batsman , the bats have become better , boundaries have become smaller etc etc just to name a few , so the bowling side is always desperate to get some of the ground back , one of the popular things to try to get the ball the "reverse swing" or " do Irish" . Reverse swing happens only if the ball is very carefully maintained in that there is a huge difference in how scuffed up the non-shiny side is, so that over all the shiny side becomes so much more heavier than the scuffed up side that the ball starts losing momentum mid air and starts moving towards the shiny side. Now this happens more often in certain weather conditions and certain brands of the ball ( namely within the Indian Sub continent and with SG balls ) . Australia has different conditions, the grounds are greener and the balls they use is of the brand kookaburra, all of which are conducive to get the ball to reverse swing in the later stages. So in this particular scandal the Australian captain and vice captain decided to take things into their own hand and decided to use tape to scruff up one side , which is against the rule.

I don't think that is going to help in table tennis in anyways .. anyways I come from a country of cricket crazy people

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Guy's don't pay any attention to der_echte's post as usual he is pulling Dan's leg because he is based out of England and Mr. Echte is sitting in "Sunny California" welcoming in Spring .. but I think the real discussion should be on the color .should we not call them purple ? ... I did check the photo very carefully and according to me its definitely purple not pink !! :rolleyes:

Dan, I think that you meant to say, soared.
Soured, is the opposite

Aha it was a late night making this photo ttmonster :D Looking back it does look purple haha!

Editing OP now tinykin aha. Posting this half asleep is not a good thing :D I was about to go to bed and saw April 1 on my phone! So I was back up, laptop open and started coming up with a idea plus editing in Photoshop. Thinking about this seriously, I would actually like to see what Pink/Purple balls are like to play with in TT. It could actually look pretty cool!

Why can't people let the gag go on !!!! Of course its a first of april joke but it was one of the best Dan has come up with , and so many people were falling for it, I even took the time and effort to carefully undermine the hints Der_Echte had put out there .. but somebody had to be the wise guy !

Haha thanks ttmonster! Der is a clever guy, he was all over it in seconds :D

Neon is probably a better choice since kids seem to love it.

Love the neon idea tropical!

I've read somewhere that yellow would provide the best contrast and visibility. To be honest I would welcome more colors: orange (loved them in celluloid era), yellow, magenta, pink, mauve, neon, whatever... Clubs with less than ideal wall colors would welcome it.

I think it's a shame that after so many years (what, 3 by now?) we still only have different shades of white to choose from.

Yes I use to like playing with the orange ball to. I wonder why the orange has not been put into production yet...

Reactions: ttmonster