Administrator
Oct 2010
Results (Round 16)

MEN

Liam Pitchford 4-1 Gavin Rumgay
Heming Hu 1-4 Sharath Achanta
Chee Feng Leong 1-4 Desai Harmeet
Quadri Aruna 4-1 Xue jie

Segun Toriola vs Sathiyan Gnanasekaran (Live Now)
Zhen Wang vs Paul Drinkhall (Live Now)
Sam Walker vs Paul Mccreery (Live Now)
Gao Ning vs Muhammad Ashraf Haiq. Muhamad Rizal (Live Now)

WOMEN

Trracey Feng 1-4 Manika Batra
Feng Tianwei 4-0 Melissa Tapper
Kelly Sibley 4-2 Madhurika Patkar
Yihan Zhou 4-3 Li Sian Alice Chang

Jian Fang Lay 4-1 Ying Ho
Tin Tin Ho 3-4 Mouma Das
Denise Payet 0-4 Mo Zhang
Yu Mengyu 4-0 Celia Baah-Danso

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
The prime minister of India congratulated the India table tennis team on their gold medal!

primeministerindiatabletennis.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Didn't see the match but Wang Zhen is tough. Can make anyone look out of sorts.

It's not this result particularly (Eugene has caused trouble for better players than Drinkhall) - it's everything since Xmas. And it's the unforced errors. Uncharacteristic, or at least in comparison with the last few years. It reminds me more of the Drinkhall of 5 years ago. Probably just form.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Could be , but Eugene is easily a top 20-30 player and gives trouble to anybody in that bracket or even higher. His ranking does not reflect it because he does not play enough international pro tours.
It's not this result particularly (Eugene has caused trouble for better players than Drinkhall) - it's everything since Xmas. And it's the unforced errors. Uncharacteristic, or at least in comparison with the last few years. It reminds me more of the Drinkhall of 5 years ago. Probably just form.

Administrator
Oct 2010
Results (Quarter Final)

MEN

Sharath Achanta 4-2 Liam Pitchford
Quadri Aruna 4-0 Desai Harmeet

Sam Walker 4-0 Sathiyan Gnanasekaran
Gao Ning vs 4-1 Zhen Wang

WOMEN

Manika Batra 4-1 Yihan Zhou
Feng Tianwei 4-0 Kelly Sibley

Yu Mengyu 4-1 Mouma Das
Mo Zhang 4-0 Jian Fang Lay

This user has no status.
Unless Walker medals and I think beating Gao Ning or any of the other players would be a good win, and maybe even if Walker medals, I think England's men's team will be very disappointed with their tournament.

Walker can be a bit of a giant slayer at times. He’s beaten Yuya Oshima before. Plus, most of the England team (better and worse than Walker) have beaten Gao Ning before so I think he’s in with a chance. I’m still holding out [emoji1]. They’ll still be disappointed though especially as this was their chance to show what they can do before the wtttc later this month.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Walker can be a bit of a giant slayer at times. He’s beaten Yuya Oshima before. Plus, most of the England team (better and worse than Walker) have beaten Gao Ning before so I think he’s in with a chance. I’m still holding out [emoji1]. They’ll still be disappointed though especially as this is a warmup for the wtttc next month.

He's got a chance - you never know!

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I do wonder if the choice of ball has factored in to some degree. Butterfly G40+ here, different ball for the wtttc. If I had to prioritise training and adjustment time I'd probably put the wtttc above the Commonwealth, and perhaps some of the other players/teams have prioritised differently or didn't have the same commitments before the tournament began.

I just hate the G40+ so it's just my own bias showing.

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
He's got a chance - you never know!

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I do wonder if the choice of ball has factored in to some degree. Butterfly G40+ here, different ball for the wtttc. If I had to prioritise training and adjustment time I'd probably put the wtttc above the Commonwealth, and perhaps some of the other players/teams have prioritised differently or didn't have the same commitments before the tournament began.

I just hate the G40+ so it's just my own bias showing.

Would make sense if they were training to peak around the start of the wtttc, just a shame the commonwealth is right before as it’s their chance to win big medals.