Very weird situation- Long pimples

This user has no status.
Very weird situation with TT judge

A very strange situation took place in still ongoing ETTU Women Champions League match between KTS Tarnobrzeg and DR Casl. Before one of the matches, the judge stated that player from the Croatian club had a wrong rubber!! The rubber (black colour) was not included on the official ITTF rubber list. The red one probably yes. After a long time, at least 30 minutes, the judge decided to call somewhere - supposedly to the ITTF representative. However, he did not pick up the phone several times, so the judge took a rather unusual decision in my opinion - he allowed the player to play match with this rubber. He stated that the match had to be played and the ITTF committee would take further steps. Player with an unacceptable rubber won the fight without any problems and played the next match as well. What's your opinion? What should a judge do in such a situation?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Powaga?

Wow didn't know it. I was watching the match, but started a bit later - it was Zhou Xintong who was using the rubber, wasn't she?

I'm not an umpire, but I think, he should not allow the player to use the racket right? No problem playing a match, but with a different racket. If Tarnobrzeg makes an appeal there might be a wo ... Funny thing, there was probably a decoration for the third place after the match : )

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
rubber and racket should be checked before the match ????????????

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I thought this was very simple .. a google search "ITTF Approved Rubbers" takes you to the equipment page and then the detailed law on this is documented in the pdf ..
https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2017/10/T4_Racket_Coverings_BOD2017.pdf_0.pdf

They should have just followed this , the only thing they needed to check if the proper ITTF logo was there on the rubber. If not, it is the players responsibility to cut the rubber in such way that the authorization is visible , and he or she should not allowed to play ...

... that is how I see it ...

This user has no status.
Yep for me it's simple as could be- no rubber on ITTF list- change the racket or go home :D but the referee thinks different. After that was all the ceremony- 3rd place for Tarnobrzeg so I don't think that ITTF will do smth about that situation. However earlier matches Zhou probably played with the same rubber but nobody checked her racket... And it's impossible to void her other games with every opponent... But I think that situation in that level of competition should never happened... And it's good lesson for long pimples players- always check Your rubber with ITTF list ;)

This user has no status.
If a rubber is not on the latest official list it is illegal to be used. Also for pimple rubbers, if the friction coefficient is not high enough anymore the racket is illegal also.
To avoid these problems it would be best to ban all pimples in official matches. For defence , rubbers like antitopspin are more than sufficient also for old players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Anyone check on what kind of pay an international umpire makes in TT?
how many hours do they put in though? I genuinely have no idea. It's two different things, being paid so little that you're basically a volunteer and struggling to make a living off of it because of how scarce the tournaments are.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
22 euro/25 usd for a day or a cl match + accomodation. + travel cost for cl, but not for a normal world tour. Some tournaments are better paid/difficult to get. The question about the rubber may have several answers. Some of the pips rubbers do not have a larc number, and some have slightly different print than the larc name. For now the image of the rubber is not available on ittf.com. This might sometimes create some confusion. What happened in this case is not possible to answer from the information available.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Mtyoman... I like how he quietly swung the conversation back on track, but my whole point, after I tried to get people to think about it, is to show that one cannot expect consistently professional work out of people who are less than minimum wage. Umpires can be a rare breed, no fame and money for sure.

So... expect things to be less than optimal professional perfect sometimes.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Dawei 388D-1 is a legit pimples.
Perhaps Zhou Xintong did cut off the marking (text area) too much, I guess.

Reactions: BeGo
says Aging is a killer
Umpires pay is zero

AFAIK, umpires are paid zero.
Their travel and accommodation expenses are reimbursed most times for the bigger tournaments. However, the smaller ones it's zilch and the umpire covers expenses himself.
It's even worse for international umpires. They pay for the airline ticket out of their own pockets. It's only when they land on the ground that their travel cost is covered.
However, some tournaments do have some 'extras'.
I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any full-time professional umpires anywhere. But there are many older umpires who have retired from their main job and spend a lot of time on the circuit.
One has to really love the sport to be an umpire.
But if you think the being an umpire is bad, spare a thought for the referees. They spend many many hours before, during and after any tournament organising etc.

Reactions: Suga D and phorkyas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
AFAIK, umpires are paid zero.
Their travel and accommodation expenses are reimbursed most times for the bigger tournaments. However, the smaller ones it's zilch and the umpire covers expenses himself.
It's even worse for international umpires. They pay for the airline ticket out of their own pockets. It's only when they land on the ground that their travel cost is covered.
However, some tournaments do have some 'extras'.
I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any full-time professional umpires anywhere. But there are many older umpires who have retired from their main job and spend a lot of time on the circuit.
One has to really love the sport to be an umpire.
But if you think the being an umpire is bad, spare a thought for the referees. They spend many many hours before, during and after any tournament organising etc.

Then fans wonder why service faults are never called !

Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
Dawei 388D-1 is a legit pimples.
Perhaps Zhou Xintong did cut off the marking (text area) too much, I guess.
Also known / sold as Pips Kingdom*, hence the confusion.

*The green package is written with Pips Kingdom, but the rubber marked 388D-1. There at least 3 different package for this rubber, AFAIK.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Also known / sold as Pips Kingdom*, hence the confusion.

*The green package is written with Pips Kingdom, but the rubber marked 388D-1. There at least 3 different package for this rubber, AFAIK.
Regardless of the rubber's packaging, it is the player's responsibility to make sure the umpire can see they're playing with a legal rubber. If it doesn't match the LARC requirements, the only course of action is to reject the rubber. Regardless of the umpire's pay scale, it's a pretty straightforward process: "Go and get a legal racket or forfeit the game."